NUFC transfer rumours in the press

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

All this talk of "wingers", is that right wingers or left wingers? Much like fullbacks, its better if they play on the side they prefer. A "winger" cannot necessarily play either flank effectively.

With better balance the whole team should play better. At the moment there are players shoehorned into positions they shouldn't be playing. Give Mitro some service from the wings and he'll look a different player. The wingers will occupy defenders further up the pitch which gives Gini more spaces to run into.

The name of the game right now is survival and a balanced team will give us a better chance of that. Adding another CM into the mix when we already have capable (but perhaps not outstanding) options Doesn't really help IMO

We don't have any capable wingers and we'd still be easy as piss to get through.

I'd spend every last penny of any budget we have on 2 CMs to replace Colback and Anita. It that is the system he is going to stick to then no number of CBs, wingers or forwards will make one jot of difference with those two "controlling" our games.

When it comes to wingers I wonder how Ginola and Robert would have been fared without Gillespie and Solano on the other flank.

Neither Gillespie and Solano were as flashy as their left wing counterparts but give a different weapon on both wings and complimented eachother perfectly. If we had relied purely on the left side, which to be fair was not as consistent a wing, I'm sure people would have moaned more about the performance of our frenchmen.

So to extend that thinking... If we did get a Townsend on loan, or could get a run of games out of Aarons we may see a different Thauvin as we would once again have different types of weapons on each wing. Maybe, maybe not but I'd be willing to give it a go before writing Thauvin off competely.

Now if only we could find a Lee or a Speed as well

When it comes to wingers I wonder how Ginola and Robert would have been fared without Gillespie and Solano on the other flank.

Neither Gillespie and Solano were as flashy as their left wing counterparts but give a different weapon on both wings and complimented eachother perfectly. If we had relied purely on the left side, which to be fair was not as consistent a wing, I'm sure people would have moaned more about the performance of our frenchmen.

So to extend that thinking... If we did get a Townsend on loan, or could get a run of games out of Aarons we may see a different Thauvin as we would once again have different types of weapons on each wing. Maybe, maybe not but I'd be willing to give it a go before writing Thauvin off competely.

Not that easy a question. More like how would they have got on without Lee/Speed/Batty inside, Shearer/Ferdinand/Asprilla up front, Bersford/Barton etc behind.

Was discussing this with my brother yesterday - the 35 year old Rob Lee we had in midfield was still head and shoulders above any midfielder we currently have.

Guest reefatoon

We need a LB, CB and two wingers.

Today in Portugal, a newspapper talk about Taarabt for Newcastle. What do you think about it?

So you think our CM is fine? We need to look at that first and foremost. 2 wingers before anyone in the middle? Absolutely staggering.

Today in Portugal, a newspapper talk about Taarabt for Newcastle. What do you think about it?

So you think our CM is fine? We need to look at that first and foremost. 2 wingers before anyone in the middle? Absolutely staggering.

Madness.

Can't believe it either, if we had a midfield that could compete, at least teams wouldn't walk through us at will. It's absolutely terrifying to think what Klopp's amped up Liverpool will do to us come Sunday.

I really don't get everyone's interest in getting a winger. It almost seems like a luxury position given where we are. Our defense is bad, especially on the left side, and our two central midfielders provide zero cover. As others have mentioned it is probably the worst pairing in the league. If you improve those two areas (properly) we are instantly a different team.

We need to fix the spine + add wingers, man. We have no width or threat or ability to create and take advantage of our CF or the Attacking Midfielders getting balls into the box.

GK, CB1, CM1, LB, LW, RW. All need to basically be signed. Tall order.

Honestly the team should basically be set up like this (when fit) if we could ever make the right moves, which again, is not likely ever to happen.

GK: New GK or Krul

RB: Janmaat

CB1: New CB

CB2: Mbemba

LB: New LB

CM1: New CM

CM2: New CM

ACM: Wijnaldum / Perez / De Jong

LW: New LW or Perez

CF: Mitrovic / New CF

RW: New RW or Perez

4-3-3 with Wijnaldum playing in the #10 role and nothing else (shame, as I was hoping he'd be able to be a proper CM) and we need 2 genuine wingers with pace who actually play the wing and can cross the fucking ball.

Guest reefatoon

We need to fix the spine + add wingers, man. We have no width or threat or ability to create and take advantage of our CF or the Attacking Midfielders getting balls into the box.

GK, CB1, CM1, LB, LW, RW. All need to basically be signed. Tall order.

Just don't  understand  this at all. We need to fix the centre  of  midfield  before any wingers come in. You can't sign new wingers with the midfield we  have as they  would just be wasted and have to spend their time tracking back  and covering. You need a strong central midfield for wingers to work. Just don't  understand  people banging on about wingers first. They would be wasted without  a strong central midfield.