The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

Don't think anyone can do much at Spurs these days, they've hired some of the best managers around, but Levy always manages to find some way of sticking hurdles in their path.

Without Kane they're a mid-table club, so they will have to set their targets and ambitions accordingly for next season. A season of building, without any major crises, followed by Europa League would be a good year IMO.  

The SPL probably isn’t even in the top 15 leagues in Europe, the championship is a stronger and more competitive league. Even Neil Lennon won it 5 times with Celtic and he was a horrible manager. Spurs hiring this guy would be a big gamble, but that’s good news for us.

To be fair Spurs have recently appointed two expensive 'sure thing' high profile managers in Mourinho and Conte and both have been rubbish. They might as well gamble on somebody a bit more left field. Poch had a less impressive career record when they went for him.

4 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

To be fair Spurs have recently appointed two expensive 'sure thing' high profile managers in Mourinho and Conte and both have been rubbish. They might as well gamble on somebody a bit more left field. Poch had a less impressive career record when they went for him.

It could be argued that getting a team like Southampton to 8th in the PL is an equal/better achievement than winning the SPL with Celtic or Rangers.

I'm gutted that we are losing Ange, great manager very set in his way. Took us through 4 transfer windows essentially rebuilding our first team, in previous years we've been lucky to bring in 2 players that make a difference to our team. A massive loss for Celtic and well deserved with the job he has done since coming in.. he was totally written off by the media when arriving and has caused havoc since arriving up here.

He's got a huge job on his hands though at Tottenham, massive rebuild due there but if he's able to hold on to players like Kane, Son, Hojberg etc then he will definitely bring in players to help them out. He has major contacts in Asia and has brought a few stars into our squad.

Good luck to him, he deserves every success as long as he's backed properly by the prick Levy.

9 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Yep it's a fair point. But it's also only fair to point out that they managed to get rid of Poch when he probably needed a bit of extra support to win trophies, and they decided to get Mourinho instead, then stopped HIM from winning a trophy purely out of spite.

16 minutes ago, SteV said:

It could be argued that getting a team like Southampton to 8th in the PL is an equal/better achievement than winning the SPL with Celtic or Rangers.

Possibly, but equally loads of average managers have got average teams to top half finishes. I don't think at face value there's a huge difference between Poch finishing 8th with Southampton and Postecoglu's record in Scotland, Japan, Oz and at international level.

It comes down ultimately to whether they think the manager has the character and acumen to step up. Personally I have no idea if he does - but I wouldn't rule the bloke out completely based on his track record. He has at least had coaching success on a few different continents and cultural environments.

Edited by ponsaelius

Spurs just seem to be throwing darts when it comes to managers these days; there's an incredibly desperate feel about it all. If they're going to establish any stability whatsoever then they need to: A, appoint a manager who is both capable of rebuilding the squad and is happy to be subservient to Daniel and B, recalibrate their short-term expectations.

If they don't do both of those things then they'll struggle to retain a manager for more than six months. They're lightyears away from being a Champions League outfit at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Spurs just seem to be throwing darts when it comes to managers these days; there's an incredibly desperate feel about it all. If they're going to establish any stability whatsoever then they need to: A, appoint a manager who is both capable of rebuilding the squad and is happy to be subservient to Daniel and B, recalibrate their short-term expectations.

If they don't do both of those things then they'll struggle to retain a manager for more than six months. They're lightyears away from being a Champions League outfit at the moment.

I personally think Potter is that man, they need to ignore his crazy spell at Chelsea and TBF he will be a better manager for it.

39 minutes ago, scotia1997 said:

in previous years we've been lucky to bring in 2 players that make a difference to our team.

What? :lol: you had one bad year before he came in. Previous to that you had just a quadruple treble and had won 9 in a row. Ange has done a good job but Celtic fans don’t have go over the top about him. He has been an abject failure in Europe. Celtic fans calling Howe a shitebag coz he turned Celtic down is laughable too coz when he came here newcastle hadn’t won a game. Celtic would have been a safe easy job for him.

have a feeling if Ange goes they might dip the toe in the water for Rafa. They tried to get him after he left Newcastle iirc and Rafa said he wouldn’t rule out going there in the future

Edited by gdm

Never ever watch SPL or Scottish football so can’t comment on it at all other than to say I think it’s extremely

difficult to judge how someone will translate success there to the premier league. I hadn’t followed him at all prior to him going to Celtic either. I hear lots of positivity about him but rebuilding a side is one of the toughest things in football, especially for a new manager coming in. I’d be surprised if Spurs finish as high as they did this season 

Absolutely love Ange, loved him when hea managed my local team the Brisbane Roar and what he achieved there, so I'm going to be biased, I loved him when he managed the national team and won the Asian Cup. admiredhis accomplishments in the J League and Celtic since. If we didn't have Eddie I'd have been over the moon is we got him.

As long as Levy gives him time and backs him, I think he will do well at Spurs, his style of football is exciting and fast paced, there's no backwards steps with him. He has the players running through walls for him, and will unite the dressing room, and will unite the fans as well. But he needs time to imbede his culture of Angeball, and I don't know if Levy and the fans will give him that, though they should know by now that they are not the same club they were a few years back and rebuilding takes time.

On the one hand I'm super excited to see him be given an opportunity like this, on the other I'm worried he won't get the time and won't get another chance, to manage at this level. Either way I can't wait for his press conferences and how he handles the premier league media[emoji38]

40 minutes ago, Ben said:

Huge risk that for Spurs, especially with Potter and Rodgers available. 

Potter would be a great fit for Spurs, if they gave him time to settle in and build something. Rodgers would be such a boring re-tread hire.

Ange P.’s an interesting one…maybe he’ll fall flat at this level, but at least they’d be trying something new.

Edited by Deuce

28 minutes ago, nbthree3 said:

https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/1664245408980258817?s=20

Tottenham Hotspur are understood to be considering three candidates for their long-vacant manager’s job: Celtic manager Ange Postecoglou, Fulham’s Marco Silva and the former Spain coach Luis Enrique.

Silva taking in Mitrovic to help replace some of Kane's goals wouldn't be a bad shout. 

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think what Poch did with Southampton after taking over from Adkins was remarkable tbh. Transformed them from a mediocre team, to a high pressing unit playing good football. Laid down the foundation for Koeman. 

Agreed. That is why I think he will do very well with Chelsea. I know the Chelsea squad looks mental, but there is enough latent talent there for someone like Poch to create an effective team. They also don't have the Europe distraction next season.

2 hours ago, gdm said:

What? :lol: you had one bad year before he came in. Previous to that you had just a quadruple treble and had won 9 in a row. Ange has done a good job but Celtic fans don’t have go over the top about him. He has been an abject failure in Europe. Celtic fans calling Howe a shitebag coz he turned Celtic down is laughable too coz when he came here newcastle hadn’t won a game. Celtic would have been a safe easy job for him.

have a feeling if Ange goes they might dip the toe in the water for Rafa. They tried to get him after he left Newcastle iirc and Rafa said he wouldn’t rule out going there in the future

Our recuriment was appauling prior to him being our manager. He came in and turned it around and took a hold of getting players in we needed. Rodgers is a yes man, Lennon was a yes man. Howe not coming to Celtic never surprised me, he needed a PL job and he got it in Newcastle.

An abject failure in europe, he's had a group of death last year and came up against tough oppistion the year before mate but sure thing if thats what you think:lol::lol:

Edited by scotia1997