The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

8 hours ago, TRC said:

Leicester fans don't seem bothered at all he's gone and most don't think he is good enough.

A good mate of mine goes home and away quite regularly. He has been saying for a long time he’s not a fan.

Maresca has plan A and nothing else. Didn’t show up for most the big games. Over plays when it doesn’t suit. Too many games where they don’t create much etc etc. 

A pure Pep disciple without the genius element by the sounds of it. 

40 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

A good mate of mine goes home and away quite regularly. He has been saying for a long time he’s not a fan.

Maresca has plan A and nothing else. Didn’t show up for most the big games. Over plays when it doesn’t suit. Too many games where they don’t create much etc etc. 

Seen him described as Pep Lite.

They've just finished on 97 points averaging nearly 2 goals per game. :lol:

Could the football not just be down to Maresca playing a way he wants them to learn, to help be competitive back in the PL? (Similar to Rafa here)

Posted (edited)

TL,DR: Chelsea brass want to play possession-based football; Poch didn’t. I know nothing of Maresca’s playing style, but if he’s a Pep disciple the hire seems to make sense on paper.

Edited by Deuce

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

They've just finished on 97 points averaging nearly 2 goals per game. :lol:

Could the football not just be down to Maresca playing a way he wants them to learn, to help be competitive back in the PL? (Similar to Rafa here)

Some insane takes IMO. Won the league, 97 points, +48 goal difference. Best defence in the league as well. Not bad for your first full season of management.

Posted (edited)

Just as a recent historical comparison, Chris Hughton won the Championship with a recently relegated team with 94 points, plus 45 GD and best defensive record in the league in his first season of management.

Winning points scores in years after: 99 (Wolves - Santo) , 94 (Norwich - Farke), 93 (Leeds - Bielsa), 97 (Norwich - Farke), 90 (Fulham - Silva), 101 (Burnley - Kompany).

Thinking back from my perspective, I really liked Hughton and was annoyed at him being sacked (he did a good job and was a classy guy), but I didn't think he was necessarily a top level manager. Had he been replaced by, say, a Rafa level guy instead of Pardew, I might have been more sympathetic to the decision to replace him.

Edited by Checko

6 hours ago, Deuce said:

TL,DR: Chelsea brass want to play possession-based football; Poch didn’t. I know nothing of Maresca’s playing style, but if he’s a Pep disciple the hire seems to make sense on paper.

One really suspects that the Chelsea brass have watched some youtube videos about soccer and thought aah yes possession based like pep guardiola thats how we want to play not realising that was only considered peak attractive to watch 10 years ago and even Pep now has got a big old striker up front and doesnt give that much of a shit about posession stats. Ironically the first sacked coach Tuchel was a bit more defend using possession style and was very boring. 

32 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

One really suspects that the Chelsea brass have watched some youtube videos about soccer and thought aah yes possession based

Todd's been on the hallucinogenic BBQ sauce.

1 hour ago, Dokko said:

Fucking hell, he's took his cap off! 

Surgically removed like a Turkish hair transplant in reverse 

12 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

I have to admit that a certain fraction of the Leicester fanbase have become choosy, entitled and maybe delusional.

Enzo took over when things were falling apart, and we'd been forced into letting several top class players move on - Barnes, Maddison, Tielemans, Evans

It's true we made a couple of good replacement signings. But to assume that it was a done deal to go straight back up is far from the truth, and disrespectful to the other clubs. Ask any Leeds fan. 

No manager can win all the games in his first season, but Enzo did his job and got the club promoted as champions.  We weren't winning most matches 8-nil but if that's what you want from a manager you may be in for a long wait.

Enzo "should" do better at Chelsea as he'll get the chance to work with a better squad of players. But hey, it's Chelsea, so who knows?

On 27/05/2024 at 17:39, astraguy said:

Was coming into this thread to say Maresca is a daft cunt to leave Leicester after gaining promotion, But if its true Leicester fans aren't bothered by this loss fair play doesn't look like an upgrade on poch though

Enzo may be less than impressed with some of the Leicester fanbase, but I think he's got more logical reasons for wanting to leave Leicester. There are strong rumours of a huge points deduction, plus it may be close to impossible to sign up Premier class players. It may end up being an impossible task for any manager to keep Leicester up this season. 

Of course he's jumping to a club that's famous for over-spending to a stratospheric level. But like another City team, we don't expect punitive measures anytime soon. 

6 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Who do you hope takes over next? Could you attract Potter for example? Hope you return to being a top 8 sort of side.

We've got to sort out our financial stuff first. Otherwise points deductions and inability to bring in quality players will make the job nearly impossible for most managers.

Having said that (and I'm in a minority on this) it may be worth getting Rafa down the King Power for a season or two, to steady the ship on limited resources (or even Sean Dyche if we could prise him away from Everton).

Top 8? Maybe next year in the Championship at best. I really fear what's coming this season. Don't expect to see much entertaining football from us this year, we'll be parking the bus as a standard. 

8 minutes ago, foxghost said:

Enzo may be less than impressed with some of the Leicester fanbase, but I think he's got more logical reasons for wanting to leave Leicester. There are strong rumours of a huge points deduction, plus it may be close to impossible to sign up Premier class players. It may end up being an impossible task for any manager to keep Leicester up this season. 

Of course he's jumping to a club that's famous for over-spending to a stratospheric level. But like another City team, we don't expect punitive measures anytime soon. 

Aye you wonder if that loomed large but still seems mental from Chelsea’s side. Is Mavididi not an option permanently because of this? Looked like Ben Arfa taking the piss down there. 

The whole thing is daft IMO. You were punished by going down and have had to sell and refurbish. Just get on with it FFS. Last thing the league needs is basket case clubs coming up to go down as per season gone.

I’d be honest, I wouldn’t go for Rafa now.

I love him for what he did for us, and I firmly believe he was the one who got Staveley interested in us.

However since he left us, he hasn’t really done very well elsewhere.

The China job went badly, the Everton one had disaster all over it, and he somehow managed to get sacked by Celta Vigo when he was leading them to safety and that was his only remit.

He hasn’t set the world alight since, and it’s 5 years since he was here.

1 minute ago, Stifler said:

I’d be honest, I wouldn’t go for Rafa now.

I love him for what he did for us, and I firmly believe he was the one who got Staveley interested in us.

However since he left us, he hasn’t really done very well elsewhere.

The China job went badly, the Everton one had disaster all over it, and he somehow managed to get sacked by Celta Vigo when he was leading them to safety and that was his only remit.

He hasn’t set the world alight since, and it’s 5 years since he was here.

Yeah, I was thinking of a "caretaker" type of manager who'd keep the place ticking over until our issues were resolved and we'd be allowed to sign players again and not start a season with a points deduction hanging over our heads. If not Rafa, maybe we could attract Dean Smith again.... (although he may be less than willing).  If he hadn't gone to Plymouth I'd even consider Rooney...no wait, that wouldn't work, something called Wagather...

Moyes, if times are tough, wouldn't be the worst.

(God I feel dirty)

Nee idea how defensively set up you are to play on the counter these days mind.

Posted (edited)

It's absolutely shite, like. The Super League clubs have a shite season, buy themselves out of it. Leicester have a bad season, face point deductions, can't spend money even if they wanted to, etc. Fucking bollocks. How dare they win the title, threaten the top 5 for several seasons and win a Cup. Back you go. Hate it. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut