The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

5 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Sounds on paper like a disaster waiting to happen. Is this the season where Brighton crash?

Why ? The English red tops have poisoned football, Brighton have an amazing record over the past few years this type of hire needs to be celebrated not insulted cos they haven't hired Moyes.

9 minutes ago, 54 said:

A 31 year old American coaching in the Premier League environment, that'll be proper laugh :lol:

Guy's lived in Germany since he was two years old, mom is Swiss and father German... he's an American citizen since all children born in the US automatically gets a US citizenship. You really can't hold his birth citizenship against him, man - the guy is a German :lol: 

Also a very, very, talented manager. Brighton are genuinely getting all their managerial appointments right.

Just now, Ben said:

Why ? The English red tops have poisoned football, Brighton have an amazing record over the past few years this type of hire needs to be celebrated not insulted cos they haven't hired Moyes.

I’m not insulting them, they’re clearly a fantastic football club in most departments. What they’ve achieved and the way they’ve gone about it is remarkable. However, a 31-year old who’s had a couple of seasons in the second division of the Bundesliga coming to just about the most difficult league in the world feels like a major risk

Personally I think his ethos and footballing identity mesh pretty well with Brighton, could be a shrewd appointment 

2 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

Guy's lived in Germany since he was two years old, mom is Swiss and father German... he's an American citizen since all children born in the US automatically gets a US citizenship. You really can't hold his birth citizenship against him, man - the guy is a German :lol: 

Also a very, very, talented manager. Brighton are genuinely getting all their managerial appointments right.

Yeah but, you know the Internet is a thing :lol:

Just now, gbandit said:

I’m not insulting them, they’re clearly a fantastic football club in most departments. What they’ve achieved and the way they’ve gone about it is remarkable. However, a 31-year old who’s had a couple of seasons in the second division of the Bundesliga coming to just about the most difficult league in the world feels like a major risk

Fun though

39 minutes ago, 54 said:

Yeah but, you know the Internet is a thing :lol:

39 minutes ago, Ben said:

Fun though

True enough :lol: But having had an eye and a half on St. Pauli the past few years, be that only because of their "cult" status or not (:lol:), what he's done with that club has been nothing short of incredibly impressive.

Think Brighton will fly too close to the sun here - fair play for taking risks but this one feels a bit silly and unnecessary.

Playing 6D chess when everyone is just 4D.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Ketsbaia said:

Think Brighton will fly too close to the sun here - fair play for taking risks but this one feels a bit silly and unnecessary.

2.16 PPG average, most in St. Pauli history (discounting caretakers). Going back ten seasons before Hurzeler got the gig, their managers averaged a PPG of: 1.45 | 1.12 | 1.43 | 1.42 | 1.20 | 1.33 (again not counting caretakers).

Yes, guy is yet to prove he can do it at another club - but you can only find out by letting him try. I'm all for this type of manager appointment instead of any of the normal merry-go-round appointment PL clubs usually make out of fear.

Edited by Kaizero

14 minutes ago, Ketsbaia said:

Have to admit a slight bias towards him as he's a big follower of the same philosophy Kjetil Knutsen implemented at Bodø/Glimt :lol: In essence, it's just "each player in each position know what their role to play on the pitch is so in-depth that you can swap a first team player for a back-up/youth player in the same position and you'll barely notice a difference".

German football isn't close to as poor as some on here seem to think. Look at their achievements in Europe this year. Look at some of the teams in the 2. Bundesliga - Hertha, HSV, Schalke, Kaiserlautern, Hannover, Dusseldorf, Karlsruher, Nurnberg - all big teams recently in the Bundesliga and most with European pedigree. St. Paulis achievements have been remarkable.

Excited to see how he gets on. At least they have balls to try and get a promising manager rather than the Premier merry go round.

It occurs to me Ratcliffe is probably doing this to try and force Ten Hag to find a new job himself to save on compensation...

2 minutes ago, Ben said:

Ten Hag must be enjoying his holiday 

He’s probably wanting the pay out and away from that toxic club

8 minutes ago, 80 said:

It occurs to me Ratcliffe is probably doing this to try and force Ten Hag to find a new job himself to save on compensation...

We will see if he makes it to July as to whether they are in ffp trouble I suppose. What a time to be alive when I type that out ffs

11 minutes ago, 80 said:

Good point :lol:

13 minutes ago, 80 said:

This is 100% accurate

Ratcliffe is such an unprincipled cheap skate of a man. Show some respect and dismiss Ten Hag before flirting with other managers. I don’t think this sort of behaviour will bode well for the culture within the club. 

He’s a fucking idiot who’s used to getting what he wants and bullying people into it. What he doesn’t realise is that he’s not the biggest bully in the playground anymore