The Managerial Merry Go Round™ - Brighton appoint Fabian Hurzeler / Ten Hag to stay at Man Utd

cp40

Guest chopey

Aye its not like the top clubs around Europe were clambering over themselves to sign him up, if Man U let him go he would just have gone back to his part time job in Norway.

Guest Howaythetoon

People are going way OTT a bit just now regarding OGS, as much as they were when they were winning game after game while he was in temp charge. I don’t think he’ll get them back challenging and may well fuck up, but who else would get the, back challenging immediately? They need a major overhaul and OGS or some other manager will still have that transitional period to go through. The obvious thing with Man Utd is the midfield, forget the defence for a moment, its in the centre of the pitch where they have the biggest problems and a world-class back four wouldn’t have changed their fortunes in Barcelona regardless, they would have still lost.

They have lots of good players, but no real balance and too many players who do t fit in, even Pogba arguably their best player. They also have players who are inconsistent in their performances and contributions because some of them are having to play in order for others to fit in or to make things work here and there.

Since Fergie retired there has been no real strategy or planning regarding recruitment, players haven’t really been bought to add to the team or to fit a style of play, set of tactics or a game plan because invariably there hasn’t been any solid philsophy and through a succession of managers certainly no real fixed commitment to any, and mostly the fault of the board.

OGS has actually IMO done incredibly well to have got the best out of what’s available to him thus far working with players who maybe individually good, but don’t exactly compliment each other or can be worked seamlessly into a philsophy of style that works consistently.

For example Lingard and Pogba can’t play together that allows them to excell at their own natural game without one or both having to play or do something they aren’t good at or takes something away from them. Up front Lukaku isn’t exactly a perfect partner for either Marshial or Rashford and neither are they. Plus you render Lukaku less effective playing with a box to box midfielder because he’s not good enough to drop deep, hold the ball, play with his back to goal, work channels. Conversely if you play to his strengths the box to box midfielder gets bypassed or will be restricted and the demand on that player to be some kind of playmaker to play balls over the top to Lukaku or through to him is greater.

Me, I’d get rid of Lukaku and replace him with a more creative forward in the mould of say a Son or a Firminho and I’d get rid of Pogba too and keep Lingard who is a better box to box player IMO and less of a luxury than Pogba off the ball. I’d go all out for Hazard too. Deli Ali would be a good fit as a false number 9 (hate that term) ala Firminho with Marshial and Rashford either side (very interchangeable).

I’d smash the bank for Maguire as well. They still need a commanding centre-half though and at full-back they need players who can push up to play as wingers as full-backs still. Young and Valencia ironically would have been perfect a few years back, but not now.

They lack a Winjaldum player as well, although Fred may prove himself. It’s too early to write him off yet.

There is a lot of dead wood there, even though a lot of them are good players. Players like Sanchez, Matic, Mata, Pogba and Lukaku, Young, Valencia, Jones, Bailey etc.

I’d keep Smalling, he’s a good player, decent enough on the ball, quick enough, physically strong and a good pro. He’s looked impressive to me, but can’t hold a defence together on his own.

OGD has lots of work to do, lots of decisions to make and the board lots of money to find and make available otherwise Man Utd will crash very quickly and OGS will have to be replaced himself.

I can see him if given time and money slowly rebuilding Man Utd similar to the way Southgate has done with England, it won’t lead to overthrowing the likes of City and Liverpool though even in time, because OGS isn’t capable enough IMO.

I guess it’s all about what the club and fans want from him and hope to achieve with him really which his appointment for me suggest they are wise enough to know realistically what has to be done and what can be done and more importantly what can only be done for the foreseeable future. Or should be.

Top 4 is achievable under OGS which is a job the likes of Pochettino et al would just as likely only be capable of doing the same as righ now such is the work needing done, time it can take, and funding required. That has to come first before anything else is possible regardless, especially if they want to get back to challenging and winning trophies consistently.

OGS seems to have given the club its identity back the roots of which will form the foundations to build on. He doesn’t have to be some tactical genius or super coach to build a good team and to play well. He just needs to bring in the right players for that club who have the qualities and mental strengths so he can get them to play how he wants them to play like they can and should and again, even with an unbalanced side and lack of quality in some areas, from what I’ve seen he’s done that anyway.

After all my waffle, I hope he fucking bombs still :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

didnt read lol

I’ll condense it for you: Man Utd and OGS? Crash and burn cunts!

He’d be fine alongside a dominant CB, as things stands that’s what’s being asked of him. He’s a decent enough CB and has stepped up since OGS arrived.

Jones though :lol: he’s their Williamson and that’s being kind. Of all their CBs Smalling is the most competent and worth holding onto as a squad player. He’s like a poor version of Lascelles compared to Schaar/Lejune, but essential in there IMO.

Guest chopey

I think the fact that Man U don't have an defender anywhere near good enough for the current England squad speaks volumes.

Guest Howaythetoon

I think the fact that Man U don't have an defender anywhere near good enough for the current England squad speaks volumes.

I don’t think England have any outstanding CBs, we do have a few much better than Smalling in the ball though. If on,y Lascelles was good on the ball, bevauses he’s certainly a good enough defender, better at it than the others. But that kind of is my point, you dont need such players more than you need players good on the ball, in defence and midfield. A better midfield in possession and Smalling isn’t an issue for Man Utd, the fact he is boils down to how much his weaknesses are exposed and how well he does or not when tested becomes a critical factor.

He’d be less exposed in our defence which is an area we are not as compromised collectively ability alone can prove critical as the level of how effective our defence are and those in defence. That and they would be even less compromised if we had a better midfield.