The Managerial Merry Go Round™ – Arne to Slot in at Liverpool

cp40

Man Utd fans are allowing nostalgia to get in the way of common sense. There is zero evidence to suggest that Ole is an elite level manager and things are likely to get worse not better.

The Man Utd I used to know, hate but ultimately respect would have gone after the best manager in the world, alongside the best players in the world.

Best striker in the league? ...Andy Cole, signed him. Best young striker in the league?... Rooney, signed him. Best centre half, Rio Ferdinand, and so on. Man Utd the club have dropped their expectations and the fans are being tricked into thinking it's ok.

Ok, I understand they aren't going to be poaching Pep or Klopp but have they even tried showing some ambition? They passed up the chance on Zidane or could have gone for Poch, both would have been sensible moves but no, they are sticking with good old Ole who is happy to be there and wont cause any problems for the owners.

I mean, what happened to that club, they used to be such glorious cunts?

Guest neesy111

Not sure that was the discussion? More to do with being kept on. Giving the contract during his ‘loan deal’ was crazy. It’s not like he’d have been poached. Should have let him go at the end of that.

Not waiting till the end of the season at least was ridiculous.

Man Utd fans are allowing nostalgia to get in the way of common sense. There is zero evidence to suggest that Ole is an elite level manager and things are likely to get worse not better.

The Man Utd I used to know, hate but ultimately respect would have gone after the best manager in the world, alongside the best players in the world.

Best striker in the league? ...Andy Cole, signed him. Best young striker in the league?... Rooney, signed him. Best centre half, Rio Ferdinand, and so on. Man Utd the club have dropped their expectations and the fans are being tricked into thinking it's ok.

Ok, I understand they aren't going to be poaching Pep or Klopp but have they even tried showing some ambition? They passed up the chance on Zidane or could have gone for Poch, both would have been sensible moves but no, they are sticking with good old Ole who is happy to be there and wont cause any problems for the owners.

That's all perfectly valid, but also under possibly the greatest manager of all time.

I don't know that they need an elite coach. They had two, and it didn't work. They need to take stock - there's no catching Liverpool or City, and Chelsea are looking good despite the transfer ban. They've fallen too far to compete with Tottenham or Leicester or Arsenal, but there's no reason they can't get things right to give it a good go next season. Their problems are pretty obvious, and if they can get the wrong players out and the right ones in - never forgetting that even if they finish tenth, they'll still have the pull of Manchester United - there's no reason they can't challenge even with a non-elite coach.

Their problem, it seems to me from my passing interest, is that they need Woodward to be on the same page as his manager, which hasn't happened... ever? He makes almost as many stupid missteps as Ashley, just of the cash-burning variety instead. Seems their only chance is if Woodward sticks with OGS and buys the players he wants, not the ones Woodward decides to buy.

That's all perfectly valid, but also under possibly the greatest manager of all time.

I don't know that they need an elite coach. They had two, and it didn't work. They need to take stock - there's no catching Liverpool or City, and Chelsea are looking good despite the transfer ban. They've fallen too far to compete with Tottenham or Leicester or Arsenal, but there's no reason they can't get things right to give it a good go next season. Their problems are pretty obvious, and if they can get the wrong players out and the right ones in - never forgetting that even if they finish tenth, they'll still have the pull of Manchester United - there's no reason they can't challenge even with a non-elite coach.

Their problem, it seems to me from my passing interest, is that they need Woodward to be on the same page as his manager, which hasn't happened... ever? He makes almost as many stupid missteps as Ashley, just of the cash-burning variety instead. Seems their only chance is if Woodward sticks with OGS and buys the players he wants, not the ones Woodward decides to buy.

We're ahead of Spurs and a point behind Arsenal.

And yes Woodward has been a bollocks, but the recruitment in the summer was excellent. That's why there's a lot of optimism. We signed 3 good, young, hungry players and shipped out two players who didn't want to be there.

Toon are 11th and two points off fifth - is current league position indicative of where a club is likely to finish?

If you think you are competing with Tottenham and Arsenal this season...

I love nothing more than a good old Man United bashing but why wouldn't they be competing with Tottenham and Arsenal this season? They are probably well ahead of Spurs in 2019 calendar year league table too despite Ole being the worst manager in the league by a fucking mile.

Toon are 11th and two points off fifth - is current league position indicative of where a club is likely to finish?

Generally speaking aye, after 12 games you can have a pretty clear indication of who is going to finish where. Obviously they are some anomalies as Newcastle finished 5th under Pardew and Chelsea finished mid-table under Jose/Conte.

We will absolutely compete with Arsenal and Tottenham this season. We just can't compete with Liverpool and City.

I love nothing more than a good old Man United bashing but why wouldn't they be competing with Tottenham and Arsenal this season? They are probably well ahead of Spurs in 2019 calendar year league table too despite Ole being the worst manager in the league by a fucking mile.

It's not saying that much to be able to compete with Spurs and Arsenal, both are having a crap season so far. Top four places are up for grabs, probably be a few teams battling for them this season.

Would never have thought, 18 months ago, that it would have gone the way it has (seemed more likely that they'd have a job keeping hold of him, rather than it just going to pot), but this seems like the best move for all parties.