The Managerial Merry Go Round™ – Arne to Slot in at Liverpool

cp40

Really surprised at how badly it's gone for him there. Seemed like a great appointment.

Not all managers that have worked with elite clubs/players can adapt and overachiever with lower level clubs/players :smug:

Villarreal and Malaga being absolute powerhouses before and after his arrival of course.

Stick to turning people against Rafa though :thup:

Aye, what complete shite :lol: He's probably past it but he was a very good manager at one point

It was when Malaga had a huge cash injection from the middle east and was buying the likes of Van Nistelrooy.

Not the first time Chequebook Pellegrini has had that luxury.

He can’t even do it with a bucket load of money now.

:lol: :lol:

Was giggling reading this. Van Nistelrooy went there on a free.

Really surprised at how badly it's gone for him there. Seemed like a great appointment.

Not all managers that have worked with elite clubs/players can adapt and overachiever with lower level clubs/players :smug:

Villarreal and Malaga being absolute powerhouses before and after his arrival of course.

Stick to turning people against Rafa though :thup:

Aye, what complete shite :lol: He's probably past it but he was a very good manager at one point

It was when Malaga had a huge cash injection from the middle east and was buying the likes of Van Nistelrooy.

Not the first time Chequebook Pellegrini has had that luxury.

He can’t even do it with a bucket load of money now.

:lol: :lol:

Was giggling reading this. Van Nistelrooy went there on a free.

I think you’ve missed the point he had a wealthy middle east owner behind him.

Doubt Van Nistelrooy was on 5p wages either.

Now let me be clear about what I mean by this because I think this could be prettily easily construed as me suggesting that the owners are asset strippers or uninterested leeches, and I don't think that's really true. I believe that David Sullivan and David Gold would like West Ham to be successful, and I can even allow myself to be convinced that as supporters they feel the highs and lows just as we do.

But their primary driver is simple; in summer 2021 the club can be sold without any of the proceeds needing to be repaid to the public purse. Assuming that West Ham are still a Premier League club at that point and that $500m valuation holds, then Sullivan and Gold will be free to sell up and bank the kind of profit that one does not usually see when you flog an asset based in a leased building, constructed to last a fortnight.

So while I accept there is a nice spot in the Venn diagram where the things we want overlap with the owners, we can stop kidding ourselves about the wider dream. We aren't going to see £100m plans for training facilities or substantial investment in a new scouting and analytics set up, or a tonne of money being thrown at the women's team, because these things just cost money and depress the amount of the money the owners will trouser in a sale. You don't stick long term expenditure projects on a balance sheet when you're preparing to sell up.

Pellegrini did a fine job at Malaga regardless of what he had to spend. Taking Malaga to 4th in La Liga and being unlucky to not reach the semi finals of the Champions League is an outstanding achievement.

If you are a good manager which Pellegrini at the time was then its more likely you will get the chance to manage bigger clubs with lots of money to spend.

18 month deal as well :lol:

I think that's a compromise for both parties. Moyes said he didn't want to go back there on a temporary contract, and clearly West Ham don't fancy him as a long term appointment. West Ham have some decent players, a bit of organisation defensively should stabilise them until they can go for who they really want. Moyes gets a decent squad to work with for 18 months. Not a bad deal for either party really.

Confident interview  :lol:

Interested to see how it goes. If they get off to a good start, they'll be fine tbh. Rough start could be tricky for them.

Based on that clip, he sounded confident but it was still full of shit quotes.

'out of certain managers, I have the highest win rate' (or something out along those lines.)

Yeah, which certain managers are those? The crap ones?

'that's what I do, I win'.

:lol:

'strong, good and attacking footballing team'.

Yeah...? when? :lol:

'the owners though I was good enough to get another opportunity here'

:lol: really? :lol: Why didn't they keep you on, then? :lol:

Decent manager, but blowing his own trumpet far too much there.

Based on that clip, he sounded confident but it was still full of shit quotes.

‘out of certain managers, I have the highest win rate' (or something out along those lines.)

Yeah, which certain managers are those? The crap ones?

'that's what I do, I win'.

:lol:

'strong, good and attacking footballing team'.

Yeah...? when? :lol:

'the owners though I was good enough to get another opportunity here'

:lol: really? :lol: Why didn't they keep you on, then? :lol:

Decent manager, but blowing his own trumpet far too much there.

God Bruce type stuff.

You’d think these managers would have the record for the biggest Real Madrid and Liverpool wins in Champions League history(Both 8 v 0)

Or the biggest Real Madrid win in 60 years(10 v 2)

Or be Real Madrid’s highest goal rate manager in the last 60 years(2.76 goals a game)

Or have the record for the biggest goalscoring win in Chelsea's PL history(8 v 0)

Or have the highest scoring team in the Premier League over a season outscoring Fergie.

Yet Jeff Stelling says at least Newcastle now have an attacking manager in Bruce :laugh:

Didn’t know it was Bruce who had the elite attacking records.