The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

Why did Swansea see such a drop in form?

seriously? :lol:

I have my ideas, but they're very similar to the ones that are rejected when Pardew offers them up.  So yes, I'm curious what other folk see.

It is interesting and i like you to expand on it because you did call him out at the beginning of the season.

I know we differ on his and Pardew's merits. I certainly thing Laudrup coaches better football than Pardew and i know we disagree on that.

You have however, correctly stated his 'success' as far as it can be called does seem to fall off after a couple of years (same can be said for Pardew, of course).

Fwiw, i think he'd do well with our squad and would appreciate the type of players Graham Carr identifies. I think they would be more in tune with each other.

I do wonder if his issues at his clubs are down to him agitating for something better or he has just had a remarkable run of bad luck when it comes to chairmen!

There's no doubt to me Laudrup coaches a better style of football and I wouldn't want anyone to think otherwise.  I also respect that he didn't make any excuses at all, always had a positive outlook and looked to lift his players rather than tell them they are tired even before games. 

Given the budgets at each club though, and the quality available, I do worry that his methods are too ... idealistic? He absolutely refuses to do what might be effective rather than what he sees as ...pure?  Somewhere like Arsenal, if they spend big, someone as wiley as Wenger can sometimes win the league like that.  We would have to have someone prepared to do things ugly on occasion though...and that's what Swansea needed too.

The only thing I disagreed with at the time was that people were suggesting just about any other manager would be better for Newcastle United.  I didn't see the benefit in the upheaval that would be involved if we were to replace someone like Pardew with someone like Laudrup, who hadn't stayed with any job long term and had seen diminishing returns towards the end of his longer spells.

Reminiscent of Kevin Keegan at Newcastle in his second spell? My own opinion is that he has good coaching ability, but he probably had his eye on a bigger club and thus wasn't giving Swansea his full attention. That would explain the lack of attention to training and excessive holidays. Would he show a similar attitude at a bigger club? that's the question.

It's a fair point mind. Who's to say 12-18 months down the line even if he's doing well, that he'd not up sticks again as soon as something better comes along. History suggests he would.

Reading the reports of what's been going on it almost sounds like he's actively been trying to get sacked.

From what i've read he doesn't seem particularly serious about management. He has some natural talents and let's it be. I believe some of the reason why he hasn't been at a bigger club is that he wouldn't relish the extra pressure. He doesn't need it. At the same time he gets bored and his effort drops in his jobs.

Any manager getting the boot at Swansea probably deserves it.

I don't believe the bigger club stuff is true. If he thought that why would he sign a contract in the summer? Furthermore, we aren't much bigger than Swansea if you would look at it from his perspective. We would always love him for winning the league cup. The man has won the Champions League.

We are a much bigger club than Swansea, certainly we would be considered so from his perspective. If you mean we aren't a CL club then fair enough.

I don't believe the bigger club stuff is true. If he thought that why would he sign a contract in the summer? Furthermore, we aren't much bigger than Swansea if you would look at it from his perspective. We would always love him for winning the league cup. The man has won the Champions League.

We are a much bigger club than Swansea, certainly we would be considered so from his perspective. If you mean we aren't a CL club then fair enough.

We are not Michael Laudrup big and unlike the previous regime, we have no ambition to be that big. We have a bigger stadium, more fans and can probably pay higher wages. We don't invest huge sums. In fact we barely invest at all. The leadership would be delighted to achieve what Swansea did last year, every year.

We are more Swansea than Barcelona and Real Madrid.

They been linked with anyone?

Assistant manager at Everton, Graeme Jones. Turned them down 3 times in the past, though.

Graeme has followed Martinez from Swansea to Wigan to Everton. I doubt he'd leave his current position to be honest. He's from the Felling, his old man still gets in the Greyhound pub sometimes.

We are not Michael Laudrup big and unlike the previous regime, we have no ambition to be that big. We have a bigger stadium, more fans and can probably pay higher wages. We don't invest huge sums. In fact we barely invest at all. The leadership would be delighted to achieve what Swansea did last year, every year.

:lol: Why so tentative?

Our wage bill is 'probably' twice that of Swansea.

:lol: Why so tentative?

Our wage bill is 'probably' twice that of Swansea.

Okay but we don't have ambitions bigger than that of a Swansea. We aren't much bigger to a man of Laudrup's standing.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

I like Laudrup but looking at his CV it looks like he rapidly loses interest when things ain't going his way. Nevertheless we look like a club that is stagnating and winning us a trophy or CL qualification would fall into the category of challenging/ambitious jobs he always looks for.

Much of the training camp was spent drinking. The players wanted discipline - and did not get it.

What a stupid quote, players wanted discipline - they didn't get that, so they went off and did the undisciplined thing and went drinking.

Bergkamp joins an eclectic list of front-runners for the job according to bookmakers including Argentine coach Marcelo Bielsa and former Chelsea defender Marcel Desailly.

Bielsa, pls no.

Why did Swansea see such a drop in form?

seriously? :lol:

I have my ideas, but they're very similar to the ones that are rejected when Pardew offers them up.  So yes, I'm curious what other folk see.

It is interesting and i like you to expand on it because you did call him out at the beginning of the season.

I know we differ on his and Pardew's merits. I certainly thing Laudrup coaches better football than Pardew and i know we disagree on that.

You have however, correctly stated his 'success' as far as it can be called does seem to fall off after a couple of years (same can be said for Pardew, of course).

Fwiw, i think he'd do well with our squad and would appreciate the type of players Graham Carr identifies. I think they would be more in tune with each other.

I do wonder if his issues at his clubs are down to him agitating for something better or he has just had a remarkable run of bad luck when it comes to chairmen!

There's no doubt to me Laudrup coaches a better style of football and I wouldn't want anyone to think otherwise.  I also respect that he didn't make any excuses at all, always had a positive outlook and looked to lift his players rather than tell them they are tired even before games. 

Given the budgets at each club though, and the quality available, I do worry that his methods are too ... idealistic? He absolutely refuses to do what might be effective rather than what he sees as ...pure?  Somewhere like Arsenal, if they spend big, someone as wiley as Wenger can sometimes win the league like that.  We would have to have someone prepared to do things ugly on occasion though...and that's what Swansea needed too.

The only thing I disagreed with at the time was that people were suggesting just about any other manager would be better for Newcastle United.  I didn't see the benefit in the upheaval that would be involved if we were to replace someone like Pardew with someone like Laudrup, who hadn't stayed with any job long term and had seen diminishing returns towards the end of his longer spells.

Reminiscent of Kevin Keegan at Newcastle in his second spell? My own opinion is that he has good coaching ability, but he probably had his eye on a bigger club and thus wasn't giving Swansea his full attention. That would explain the lack of attention to training and excessive holidays. Would he show a similar attitude at a bigger club? that's the question.

Yeah, those were my thoughts too.

He did show the ability to get very good football from unexceptional Premiership players eg Wayne Routledge. He does have something about him.