2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Europe vs. America

LucaAltieri
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

^ It's 4.5, now isn't it? I think 5 would be more fair.

You got power houses in Brazil/Argentina ....and Chile/Colombia/Uruguay/Paraguay/Ecuador/Venezuela/Peru are all decent sides.

New Zealand is trying very very hard to join AFC by the way. and there may be some agreements...if that happens, I don't think AFC allocation will suffer.

It'll mean some lucky federation will get to play New Cadelonia or Fiji in the play-offs, though :D

Would render the OFC a complete waste of time.

Would it not be better to incorporate all and split Asia in to West and East for tournaments whilst keeping the localised ones they have currently?

New Zealand have been complaining about lack of competitiveness since Australia's departure and that's why they are so unready for play-offs, because they don't play any meaningful game really and hence can't handle the pressure in tough play-offs.

AFC+OFC, with East and West is an interesting idea. I don't think some certain countries (namely Iran) will allow it to happen. Iran and Uzbekistan are lobbying to form their own "Central Asia" sub-branch with rest of country in that place, leaving West Asia to all the Arab countries, because they don't all want to be incorporated in countries that treat each other as "Brothers" except Iran/Uzbekistan.

I hope not though. The West doesn't deserve to have half the spots, and in that case Japan/Korea/Australia will be in the same region.

I'd combine them both (AFC and OFC) and just let the games do it themselves.

Those smaller islands in Oceania can play in earlier rounds with likes of Sri Lanka/Maldives/Pakistan/Myanmar/Kyrkygzistan etc...and then the big boys come up. Fair and square....5 spots for grabs for everyone. Much fairer to New Zealand and could potentially help the game in Kiwiland as well.

I've said this before, but the continental distribution is not meant to be based purely on skill. If that was the case we'd give one slot to Mexico, one slot for Asia and Africa to fight over, and everything else to Europe and South America. 

While skill does play apart, the idea is to make the competition representative of all of the world's football cultures and to increase the quality of football in places like Asia and Africa by giving them more exposure on the big stage. This seems to be working pretty well for Asia at least.

I think the distribution is fine as it is.

You got power houses in Brazil/Argentina ....and Chile/Colombia/Uruguay/Paraguay/Ecuador/Venezuela/Peru are all decent sides.

New Zealand is trying very very hard to join AFC by the way. and there may be some agreements...if that happens, I don't think AFC allocation will suffer.

It'll mean some lucky federation will get to play New Cadelonia or Fiji in the play-offs, though :D

They should just fold OFC into AFC and make the minnows go through pre-qualifying. OFC is pointless.

This. A tiered qualification-- like what CONCACAF does with the Caribbean islands.

Would render the OFC a complete waste of time.

Would it not be better to incorporate all and split Asia in to West and East for tournaments whilst keeping the localised ones they have currently?

New Zealand have been complaining about lack of competitiveness since Australia's departure and that's why they are so unready for play-offs, because they don't play any meaningful game really and hence can't handle the pressure in tough play-offs.

AFC+OFC, with East and West is an interesting idea. I don't think some certain countries (namely Iran) will allow it to happen. Iran and Uzbekistan are lobbying to form their own "Central Asia" sub-branch with rest of country in that place, leaving West Asia to all the Arab countries, because they don't all want to be incorporated in countries that treat each other as "Brothers" except Iran/Uzbekistan.

I hope not though. The West doesn't deserve to have half the spots, and in that case Japan/Korea/Australia will be in the same region.

I'd combine them both (AFC and OFC) and just let the games do it themselves.

Those smaller islands in Oceania can play in earlier rounds with likes of Sri Lanka/Maldives/Pakistan/Myanmar/Kyrkygzistan etc...and then the big boys come up. Fair and square....5 spots for grabs for everyone. Much fairer to New Zealand and could potentially help the game in Kiwiland as well.

:thup: makes sense and you know way more than I ever will about the subject.

How come the Kazakhs ended up in UEFA btw?

I've said this before, but the continental distribution is not meant to be based purely on skill. If that was the case we'd give one slot to Mexico, one slot for Asia and Africa to fight over, and everything else to Europe and South America. 

While skill does play apart, the idea is to make the competition representative of all of the world's football cultures and to increase the quality of football in places like Asia and Africa by giving them more exposure on the big stage. This seems to be working pretty well for Asia at least.

Agree with this :thup:

It should never change from 32 teams either. Just right.

Absolute turboshite like that is what gives African football a bad name, and will continue to enforce stereotypes. Truly embarrassing performance.

African football will always be held back by weak domestic leagues and non-existent development programs. How many of these countries actually develop their own players? Far too much reliance on dual nationals and foreign-born players.

Almost entirely the result of structural inequalities and history, mind. And entirely unreasonable to expect these otherwise impoverished countries to pour resources into developing domestic football programs too.

Buzzing for tomorrow.

3 of the 4 teams I haven't seen in Japan, Ivorians, or Uruguay are playing plus England factor. Like the first round all over again :drool:

Very exciting slate of matches tomorrow. I'll be rooting for the Greeks for once.

Buzzing for tomorrow.

3 of the 4 teams I haven't seen in Japan, Ivorians, or Uruguay are playing plus England factor. Like the first round all over again :drool:

Very exciting slate of matches tomorrow. I'll be rooting for the Greeks for once.

Could (probably won't) be a good game since both teams need the win to stand a chance of going through albeit I wouldn't be surprised if Greece take a draw.

Absolute turboshite like that is what gives African football a bad name, and will continue to enforce stereotypes. Truly embarrassing performance.

African football will always be held back by weak domestic leagues and non-existent development programs. How many of these countries actually develop their own players? Far too much reliance on dual nationals and foreign-born players.

Almost entirely the result of structural inequalities and history, mind. And entirely unreasonable to expect these otherwise impoverished countries to pour resources into developing domestic football programs too.

I don't think it's all development. Most of those players are playing regularly for decent European sides. They've been developed in France, England etc. They should be familiar with organized football. They just don't seem to give a s***. Maybe some of that is related to the support or resources they get from their FA...hiring inept managers. Who knows. The Newcastle of world football then basically.

:lol: Mexico who barely got in. (Don't disagree with your point, though.)

Buzzing for tomorrow.

:thup:

I'm expecting to enjoy Colombia-Ivory Coast greatly and of course England-Uruguay should be great too.