2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Europe vs. America

LucaAltieri
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

van der Vaart apparently out as well now. Dutch team looking worse and worse for every day that goes. I do realize he's not their best player either, but it's still an experienced and very good player.

Spain are evens against them in their first group match.  Ridiculous odds.

:thup: I'm thinking of putting £100 on them already. Will be at the match as well so will make it a bit more interesting.

Feel kinda guilty looking at that. Powerful stuff.

Guilty? For what exactly. People blaming the World Cup for a history of corruption within the government? It's a shame that this is where it's all going. Problems have always existed, it's a shame it's taken this long. The change we as the people can do is to not vote for these idiots at the next election. The politicians are there because we voted for them. I'm glad we've opened our eyes.

Guest neesy111

Collusion between two corrupt organisations to the detriment of you know, people.

I'm not sure FIFA is the issue in Brazil (Felipao??), corrupt politicians at both local and national level making the cost of the tournament at ridiculous levels.  There's also an Olympic games in 2 years time and the IOC said the preparation was a shambles so far.

FIFA should really vet the people they get into bed with on a four year cycle.

FIFA are just unlucky the Brazilian people are speaking out otherwise no-one would bat an eyelid. It's 8 years of plain sailing after this anyway unless something massively changes in Russia/Qatar where no-one will protest for fear of being shoed to death.

Not really any point in being bothered about a coma like. Just a long nap. Bit shit for everyone around you, but for yourself, not so much. It'd probably be refreshing, much needed down-time.

Collusion between two corrupt organisations to the detriment of you know, people.

I'm not sure FIFA is the issue in Brazil (Felipao??), corrupt politicians at both local and national level making the cost of the tournament at ridiculous levels.  There's also an Olympic games in 2 years time and the IOC said the preparation was a shambles so far.

FIFA will be benefiting from this tournament.

FIFA are absolutely a small part of the problem, they're benefitting from the tournament and have refused to put a single penny into it. That's FIFA though, they do what they want and we as a nation failed when we asked for the WC. All FIFA care about is profit, if people die they don't blink an eye as long as all of them walk away with heavier wallets. Any nation asking for a World Cup is basically helping enrich FIFA. The day this stops and they stop having that power of doing what they want is the day we as a world will be better off.

However, our biggest problem is without a doubt the mentality within the politicians. They have all the power, so they vote for what they want, what their salaries should be, how many free paid weeks off work they should have, what advantages they should have as politicians.

Here you can read a bit on our scandalous politicians: http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2013/11/economist-explains-14

Just look at Lula (our ex-president) son. Kid was working in a Zoo before his dad became president, now he's a self-made millionaire with government help. It's fucking ridiculous. All Lula's closest friends in the government even those that have been found guilty of bribery and so on are all millionaires. Brazilian politicians are all thieves. In fact, there was statistics that the most applied job after university degree in Brazil is to work within the government. Everyone knows that once you're in there you can become a millionaire as long as you make the right connections.

Dreamt last night that I went into a coma and missed the first week of this.

Was more bothered by the fact that I missed the World Cup than the coma

That's scary, I dreamt similar, I dreamt that I had slept through the whole group stage. I didn't even care about the reason to it, I was just in panic trying to get hold of anyone that had copies of all the games.

FIFA will be benefiting from this tournament.

FIFA are absolutely a small part of the problem, they're benefitting from the tournament and have refused to put a single penny into it. That's FIFA though, they do what they want and we as a nation failed when we asked for the WC. All FIFA care about is profit, if people die they don't blink an eye as long as all of them walk away with heavier wallets. Any nation asking for a World Cup is basically helping enrich FIFA. The day this stops and they stop having that power of doing what they want is the day we as a world will be better off.

However, our biggest problem is without a doubt the mentality within the politicians. They have all the power, so they vote for what they want, what their salaries should be, how many free paid weeks off work they should have, what advantages they should have as politicians.

Here you can read a bit on our scandalous politicians: http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2013/11/economist-explains-14

Just look at Lula (our ex-president) son. Kid was working in a Zoo before his dad became president, now he's a self-made millionaire with government help. It's f***ing ridiculous. All Lula's closest friends in the government even those that have been found guilty of bribery and so on are all millionaires. Brazilian politicians are all thieves. In fact, there was statistics that the most applied job after university degree in Brazil is to work within the government. Everyone knows that once you're in there you can become a millionaire as long as you make the right connections.

Surely politically then the best outcome is say I don't know, an Argentina Win?

http://www.ibtimes.com/another-win-brazils-protesters-congress-rejects-pec-37-nixes-political-immunity-reduces-police

Had we had no protests this would've happened. Look at how the politicians want the country to be run. It's ridiculous.

Politically best that would happen is Brazil win the World Cup and then get back on the street and don't forget what they've started. Show everyone we can be great hosts and then get down to business again and keep demonstrations until everyone of them are out of job.