Everton 3 - 2 Newcastle United - 30/09/13 - post-match reaction from page 57

Nobody

The hell is going on with Ben Arfa man? One world beating performance followed by 2 garbage displays. He doesn't seem to be a bull s*** type person in the press, he has all the positive mentality in the world, something off with him?

He was ineffective tonight but I didn't think he was garbage as such. Just like last season, he was the only outlet. Moving Remy into the middle put all the pressure back onto Hatem; they doubled-up on him and countered him easily. Just woeful tactics from Pardew, as usual.

(Plus Seamus Coleman had an absolutely sensational performance - he was man of the match by a distance, for all Sky's ejaculating over Lukaku.)

the excuses people will make for hba  :facepalm:

a crap game is a crap game, and he had one.  And the one before that.

His shot was the only thing resembling a chance in the first half.

now that is awesome.

The hell is going on with Ben Arfa man? One world beating performance followed by 2 garbage displays. He doesn't seem to be a bull s*** type person in the press, he has all the positive mentality in the world, something off with him?

that's why he plays for us and not a top team. He has all the attributes but seems to run hot and cold too many times. Seems to lack the consistency needed to be a true great. Though more than happy to have him here.

Can't remember him having two bad games in a row before.  Really don't agree with him being inconsistent normally when he plays, to me his inconsistency has been down to injury and when he plays he's pretty much always the leading light, not always 100% effective, but not totally ineffective like he has been for the last two matches.  Then again I think in that second half he'd undoubtedly have ended up having a much better game if he'd stayed on.

Guest icemanblue

Well. That first half was as bad as the tail end of last season. However, last season, I think we'd have come out to shut up shop, and concede a couple more. That's against a complacent team or not. It's difficult to look past shocking individual performances again, but our mentality looked all wrong from the start.

He was ineffective tonight but I didn't think he was garbage as such. Just like last season, he was the only outlet. Moving Remy into the middle put all the pressure back onto Hatem; they doubled-up on him and countered him easily. Just woeful tactics from Pardew, as usual.

(Plus Seamus Coleman had an absolutely sensational performance - he was man of the match by a distance, for all Sky's ejaculating over Lukaku.)

It's really myopic to look at individual player performances in isolation from context unless they are outstandingly bad - which he wasn't. The deck was stacked against him from the get go, tonight. If he'd been on top, top form - he might have got better joy out of Coleman, but that doesn't mean the level he was at was 'garbage'. The team's plan was garbage, and he was spearheading the horrendous plan sadly - and is now taking the flak for it.

Well i thought Williamson did quite well.

His distribution is just too poor to be playing at this level sadly.

Even when he's under no pressure he still lumps it. I know the movement in front of him is terrible but he's like a race horse with blinkers he can knock a simple ball to our full backs.

and another indictment on Pardew is how poor our off the ball movement has been under Pardew.

3 years and we are no further forward than the day he took over.

Dont get me wrong, he is woeful. But by his standards i thought he did quite well.

It's going to be painful for many to admit it, but we really needed him, and he made a big difference.

He does at least try to take charge of situations. He won't always succeed, but at least it's better than seeing two terrified centre backs permanently two yards away from making a challenge.

Everton were shocking second half.

Not really.... and they wasn't fantastic in the first half either.

They looked good because we allowed them to be and they looked bad in the 2nd half because we didn't allow them to play.

The same could be said vice versa tbf, but the point is let a passing team play and your asking for trouble put them under pressure and they won't like it.

As the old saying goes..... any team can look good if the opposition allows them to be.

Mole, we couldn't have gifted you a way back into the game any more - just like us being 3-0 was in no small part due to your total lack of defending.

Beren's nailed it perfectly - we took our foot off the gas, ground to a halt, got out the car and went for a walk. It was farcical.

I agree you took your foot of the gas but i still think the main reason we got back into the game is we stopped sitting deep and allowing you to come at us in droves.

Its clearly not an effective way to play against you or any other decent outfit, i suppose its easy to say we put you under pressure and squeezed the midfield a lot more of course its a combination of all these things.

I just don't believe you would have been 3-0 up at half time if we started the game by squeezing the midfield and nullifying the effectiveness of Barry, Barkley etc etc.

My concern is we will just go back to sitting deep with zero intensity and i will sighing all over again.

It's really myopic to look at individual player performances in isolation from context unless they are outstandingly bad - which he wasn't. The deck was stacked against him from the get go, tonight. If he'd been on top, top form - he might have got better joy out of Coleman, but that doesn't mean the level he was at was 'garbage'. The team's plan was garbage, and he was spearheading the horrendous plan sadly - and is now taking the flak for it.

This:

He would have faired much better against baines than coleman.

now that is awesome.

True though isn't it?  We were abysmal and he was given no space what so ever because he really was the only option.  Wasn't effective, but not a worse performance than 95% of the side and certainly in the second half with more space I'd expect him to create more.

Guest bimpy474

Well that's us going at nearly two goals a game conceded. 68 conceded last season and Pardew thinks we are quite solid. He's proper mental.

Guest reefatoon

Shut-down HBA and you basically shut-down our offense.

Strange, we looked much more of a threat in the second half and he wasn't on the pitch.

This:

Coleman was absolutely phenomenal, like. More or less a perfect performance. Gouffran got the better of him once, midway through the second half, but other than that he was absolutely flawless. Defended well, attacked well.

Guest bimpy474

Well i thought Williamson did quite well.

His distribution is just too poor to be playing at this level sadly.

Even when he's under no pressure he still lumps it. I know the movement in front of him is terrible but he's like a race horse with blinkers he can knock a simple ball to our full backs.

and another indictment on Pardew is how poor our off the ball movement has been under Pardew.

3 years and we are no further forward than the day he took over.

Dont get me wrong, he is woeful. But by his standards i thought he did quite well.

It's going to be painful for many to admit it, but we really needed him, and he made a big difference.

He does at least try to take charge of situations. He won't always succeed, but at least it's better than seeing two terrified centre backs permanently two yards away from making a challenge.

While i want to agree i just cant, Williamson is terrible. You're spot on though, we cant play with two CB's who cant and wont mark. It's suicidal.

Everton were shocking second half.

Not really.... and they wasn't fantastic in the first half either.

They looked good because we allowed them to be and they looked bad in the 2nd half because we didn't allow them to play.

The same could be said vice versa tbf, but the point is let a passing team play and your asking for trouble put them under pressure and they won't like it.

As the old saying goes..... any team can look good if the opposition allows them to be.

Mole, we couldn't have gifted you a way back into the game any more - just like us being 3-0 was in no small part due to your total lack of defending.

Beren's nailed it perfectly - we took our foot off the gas, ground to a halt, got out the car and went for a walk. It was farcical.

I agree you took your foot of the gas but i still think the main reason we got back into the game is we stopped sitting deep and allowing you to come at us in droves.

Its clearly not an effective way to play against you or any other decent outfit, i suppose its easy to say we put you under pressure and squeezed the midfield a lot more of course its a combination of all these things.

I just don't believe you would have been 3-0 up at half time if we started the game by squeezing the midfield and nullifying the effectiveness of Barry, Barkley etc etc.

My concern is we will just go back to sitting deep with zero intensity and i will sighing all over again.

Pardew doesn't learn for some reason.

One of the best games we've had under him is when we dominated Man U at SJP. We squeezed the midfield pressed as a team and didn't give them any time on the ball but we rarely see it.

Sadly no one in the media ever calls football managers to account for bad tactical decisions.

This:

Coleman was absolutely phenomenal, like. More or less a perfect performance. Gouffran got the better of him once, midway through the second half, but other than that he was absolutely flawless. Defended well, attacked well.

Coleman was MOTM by a distance, despite Lukaku's 2 goals. Baines was fairly gash by his standards.

now that is awesome.

True though isn't it?  We were abysmal and he was given no space what so ever because he really was the only option.  Wasn't effective, but not a worse performance than 95% of the side and certainly in the second half with more space I'd expect him to create more.

the thing is, when hba have s*** games he gets excuses made for him,, he got double up on, tactics wrong etc.

where are the colo, mbiwa, debuchy's excuses?

If Williamson started the game we would have conceded 10 by the half. I'll tell you that right here right now.

People are deceiving themselves if they think he made any difference whatsoever. Everton were coasting and started bricking it once we scored as we deserved nothing, and we were then finally playing with freedom, as we had nothing to lose, and none of Pardew's stupid instructions to restrict us.

Just stop.

Willo has always been decent in odd appeareances here and there. When he gets a long run in the side his weaknesses are exposed a lot more.

He has always had a rough ride on here, sometimes deservedly mind you. He played way, way too much football for us (in our 'A' and 'B' teams) and never got slack for it because he was the whipping boy of the team - when the blame would have been better aimed at Ashley for having us with 3 CBs for so long. Generally, when he plays a reasonable amount of football, he's okay. No great shakes, but not deserving of the venom he received.