Tottenham 0 - 1 Newcastle United - 10/11/13 - Post-match reaction from page 43

Mike

You all know me, I don't typically expect us to win but I was extremely confident about today. They've looked extremely poor going forward whenever I've seen them and I thought we'd score so they were going to have to do the same.

Absolutely deluding themselves. It might come as they've clearly bought players with pedigree but it's going to take some time with such a big intake of players.

All the people saying it was like the 5th placed finish season today are correct; however that kind of go ahead then grind it out performance is a good thing to have in your repertoire. It would be nice to see us controlling games more often, but it IS unrealistic to expect it every time we go away from home.

You all know me, I don't typically expect us to win but I was extremely confident about today. They've looked extremely poor going forward whenever I've seen them and I thought we'd score so they were going to have to do the same.

Absolutely deluding themselves. It might come as they've clearly bought players with pedigree but it's going to take some time with such a big intake of players.

Also AVB is a bit like Mourinho in that he is quite conservative and not very adventurous.

Blackburn away it was possibly most reminiscent of, although at least today we turned up in the first half, God that was a ghastly game. Absolute robbery.

In recent years I'd say second only to the WBA home game last season.

Guest neesy111

Was off my tits last night, slept through the day. What a result. Did we play well?

I'd say we played well in spells.

1st 20 minutes we were excellent.  Spurs then gained a foothold into the game for rest of the half.  2nd half onslaught for 15 mins and then spurs basically ran out of ideas.

Only watched the game now (was out earlier) Tremendous result, really pleased for the guys, particularly the back five after that second half onslaught  :)

We were under the cosh for large parts but I actually thought we stood up reasonable well all things considered, our pressing when Spurs had the ball was very good I thought, Cabaye was a man possessed at times, diving in and unsettling them when we really needed it.

7 points from Liverpool, Chelsea & Spurs  :smug:

Cracking open a beer as I type

Also AVB is a bit like Mourinho in that he is quite conservative and not very adventurous.

Parky making stuff up based on false logic as per usual. :thup:

Parky making stuff up based on false logic as per usual. :thup:

If you're going to make stuff up, false logic is always your best bet. Parky :thup:

http://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/newcastle-united-at-home-10-11-13-12-00.7863/page-26

Others will say, yeah but Krul played a blinder! But they'll fail to realise that the reason opposition teams play worldies against us is because they know they have no right to beat us with all the talent we have. It brings the best out of them when they are ahead of us when they shouldnt be and they will play out of their skins to get our scalp because everyone expects us to win with all the talent we have.

:puke:

what the fuck is this?

It might be a sarcastic comment on the mentality of some Spurs fans, I suppose.

Otherwise, it's not the mentality of Champions to complain when the opposition don't roll over.

Spurs problem is firstly they don't move the ball quick enough in the final third and don't get enough bodies forward when in possession.

I don't care how good your players are.... if you move the ball at a pedestrian pace and don't get bodies in and around the box you are not going to score.

Whilst we were undoubtedly the better side in the first half, the players made it very difficult for themselves in the second - they surrendered possession far too easily and the main reason was that players off the ball stopped running into space to provide a target for a colleague with possession.

The worst example, and one that set the tone for the half, was when Gouffran, who ran his socks off,got a break down the left just after HT with 3 Spurs players around him and eventually he lost out because he had no colleague any where near him to pass to...a goal then would have killed Spurs off but our possession became more and more ragged after that. We were incredibly sloppy at times.

All the support play that had enabled us to control the first half disappeared and Spurs began to make inroads down the right, especially against Santon - this was because Gouffran was becoming shattered and Santon lost his protection.

Remy won us the game with his pace and finishing - he is such a threat to defenders because he plays on their shoulders - and this guy is adding to his value all the time...unfortunately for NUFC. Krul was terrific and without him we would have lost although MYM and Williamson battled really well at the back. Another good performance from Tiote and a very good one from Cabaye - gave his all.

Delighted with the result but we shouldn't fool ourselves - this was probably the least effective performance of the 3 games we expected to lose because Krul was never as busy against Liverpool and Chelsea as he was today.

More 5 a side practice needed at the training ground.....

Can't believe people are still moaning when we've got back to back wins against Chelsea/Spurs.

I know, I can't believe that that is what is definitely happening.

Moaning about first halfs and second halfs because we never really threatened for periods of games against two top sides. People just expect us to control games for 90 minutes agisnt top sides without having any pressure to withstand? We were excellent today and last week, no two ways about it.

I was being facetious because I can't see anyone moaning about victory at all. We were lucky today. That opinion, or that admission doesn't count as moaning or a way of saying that we didn't play well.

We did play well, but that still should have been a considerable Tottenham victory. I'm very happy that it wasn't, but that doesn't mean that I don't think we were lucky, or count luck as a reason to be unhappy.

Agree with this and some people are showing why other teams' fans think we are deluded - nobody should go over the top about this performance ; the result was great but we will not win many games like this if we keep surrendering possession so easily.

Guest zicomartin

I thought that we had a chance of catching them out when Lloris wasn't selected as he plays more like a sweeper behind the high line than Friedel.  I think we may actually have cottoned on to that in the first half.

In the second half, they chased us down a lot harder and cut out a lot of our measured passes out of defence. Their tempo increased but we didn't pick ours up to compensate and our passes fell short more often than not.

We don't seem to get that at half time. If we really must sit back on a lead, we also need to pick up the tempo and speed of our passing...

maybe I'm just full of shit.

Whilst we were undoubtedly the better side in the first half, the players made it very difficult for themselves in the second - they surrendered possession far too easily and the main reason was that players off the ball stopped running into space to provide a target for a colleague with possession.

The worst example, and one that set the tone for the half, was when Gouffran, who ran his socks off,got a break down the left just after HT with 3 Spurs players around him and eventually he lost out because he had no colleague any where near him to pass to...a goal then would have killed Spurs off but our possession became more and more ragged after that. We were incredibly sloppy at times.

All the support play that had enabled us to control the first half disappeared and Spurs began to make inroads down the right, especially against Santon - this was because Gouffran was becoming shattered and Santon lost his protection.

Remy won us the game with his pace and finishing - he is such a threat to defenders because he plays on their shoulders - and this guy is adding to his value all the time...unfortunately for NUFC. Krul was terrific and without him we would have lost although MYM and Williamson battled really well at the back. Another good performance from Tiote and a very good one from Cabaye - gave his all.

Delighted with the result but we shouldn't fool ourselves - this was probably the least effective performance of the 3 games we expected to lose because Krul was never as busy against Liverpool and Chelsea as he was today.

More 5 a side practice needed at the training ground.....

We had some good spells, but I never felt we were the 'better side' for any period.

I'd agree that there's a problem with providing options for the man in possession. Increasingly as the game wore on, when a player gained a turnover, it felt like his team-mates were static, looking at him and wondering what he was going to do next, instead of making a run forward into space. Our counter attacks still look a bit laboured.

We were up against a good side away from home, so perhaps it's harsh to criticise, but it can be very frustrating when we gain possession in a good area and the ball ends up going back to the keeper.

However, although it wasn't pretty at times, we did look like a team and there's something to build on.