Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pardew has shown he is more than a match for the very best managers tactically - good to see him getting the recognition he deserves in national newspapers.

:yao:

I really can't see why Pardew's tactical nous could be called into question. He's a very tactical coach and has proven in some of the tightest situations against world class teams and coaches that he can mix it with the best.

If I levelled anything against him it would be that he can be "over tactical" and I'd like to see a bit of the old Keegan "just go out and do the opposition" mind set from time to time.

He can stop the better teams twatting us (sometimes) and we look a better team at home going forward because better teams come to play and win, thus the game is more open.

The real test of pardew is against poorer teams as that takes tactical nouse to break them down and he consistently fails to succeed in that. TRon had said all of this.

So yeah I'm calling his tactical ability into question thanks very much.

Until he can outwit the likes of Steve Bruce or Mark Hughes at SJP then he's simply not very good.

2) Sticks and stones break your bones, words they do no harm

At first glance, it is hard to connect Alan Pardew calling Manuel Pellegrini a "fucking old cunt" with the entirely untypical Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa tackle which left Samir Nasri stretchered off, his left leg in a brace protecting what is believed to be a serious knee ligament injury. Yet the anger which rose in Pardew following the pedantically disallowed Cheick Tioté goal – a technical application of the current law even if it confounded the spirit of the game – surely affected not only Newcastle's manager but transmitted itself to his players at half-time. Nasri may now face months of rehab while his team-mates likely win trophies. With Mike Jones, the referee clearly unnerved by the abuse he received for disallowing Tioté's 'goal', merely yellow carding Yanga-Mbiwa, Pardew – suddenly turning sensible – immediately substituted the defender. Newcastle's manager should reflect that not only is swearing deeply undignified for a man of 52, but that his wholly inappropriate, cringe-inducing verbal volley at Pellegrini possibly precipitated Nasri's current plight. Louise Taylor

:facepalm:

god I hate the media

Pardew has shown he is more than a match for the very best managers tactically - good to see him getting the recognition he deserves in national newspapers.

I really can't see why Pardew's tactical nous could be called into question. He's a very tactical coach and has proven in some of the tightest situations against world class teams and coaches that he can mix it with the best.

If I levelled anything against him it would be that he can be "over tactical" and I'd like to see a bit of the old Keegan "just go out and do the opposition" mind set from time to time.

He can stop the better teams twatting us (sometimes) and we look a better team at home going forward because better teams come to play and win, thus the game is more open.

The real test of pardew is against poorer teams as that takes tactical nouse to break them down and he consistently fails to succeed in that. TRon had said all of this.

So yeah I'm calling his tactical ability into question thanks very much.

Until he can outwit the likes of Steve Bruce or Mark Hughes at SJP then he's simply not very good.

You're welcome ;)

I think my criticism of him being "over tactical" and not loosening the reins on occasions is somewhat in agreement.

Bloody Cajun! :lol:

He's a pest! :lol:

So basically I moan when he isn't doing well and praise him when he is :lol:

No, you jump over to defend him at every opportunity when he's doing well and tell everyone who still has concerns about him as a manager that they cannot possibly enjoy football and should probably pack the sport in.

Also: "We win - LUCK! We lose - PARDEW!"

As you can probably tell this has got to me :lol:

This season Pardew has done very well against the top sides (and managers), we ultimately lost at home to Man City and Arsenal but were well worth at least a point in both games, we deserved our home win against Chelsea and our away win at Old Trafford, and the home draw with Liverpool too. I haven't came away from any of those games dissapointed with the way we've set up and played (not to say I full agree with everything like), although some of the decision making mid game has been questionable.

That's all good, but "Pardew has shown he is more than a match for the very best managers tactically" is the single thickest thing I think I've read this season :lol:

How anybody can defend that with a straight face is beyond me, it's just complete shite.

This season Pardew has done very well against the top sides (and managers), we ultimately lost at home to Man City and Arsenal but were well worth at least a point in both games, we deserved our home win against Chelsea and our away win at Old Trafford, and the home draw with Liverpool too. I haven't came away from any of those games dissapointed with the way we've set up and played (not to say I full agree with everything like), although some of the decision making mid game has been questionable.

That's all good, but "Pardew has shown he is more than a match for the very best managers tactically" is the single thickest thing I think I've read this season :lol:

How anybody can defend that with a straight face is beyond me, it's just complete shite.

well, in fairness taking investment into account he has probably surpassed them in terms of the results and performances/ value for money.

just saying like.

Well if were accusing each other of "thickness" your first paragraph somewhat contradicts your second  :)

Nah, even in the face of a thickness accusation, I'll stand by my point that Pardew's problem is not his ability to spar tactically with the top coaches but his inability to let his teams loose more often.

Well if were accusing each other of "thickness" your first paragraph somewhat contradicts your second  :)

Nah, even in the face of a thickness accusation, I'll stand by my point that Pardew's problem is not his ability to spar tactically with the top coaches but his inability to let his teams loose more often.

What exactly is contradictory about what I said? He's had good performances against them this season, as in he's gotten his team to play well against theirs, I don't think that concludes that he is a "match for the very best managers tactically."

FWIW he doesn't always "spar tactically with the top coaches," his record overall against the top sides is bang average. He's beat Chelsea a few times and beat Man U 3-0 once, that's about it.

He's got a 27% points return against Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal and man City while at Newcastle.

Wenger has 32%.

Rodgers at Liverpool is on 22%.

FWIW he doesn't always "spar tactically with the top coaches," his record overall against the top sides is bang average. He's beat Chelsea a few times and beat Man U 3-0 once, that's about it.

He's got a 27% points return against Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal and man City while at Newcastle.

Wenger has 32%.

I didn't realise that.  Interesting reading.

Wenger has 32%.

What's his points return against Sunderland?

Actually fuck it, don't bother.

Wenger has 32%.

It's a statistic comparing 3 managers with sample sizes of about 18 years, 3.5 years, and 1.5 years. And 2 of them are managing sides included in the sample.

EDIT: 1 of them is managing a side in the sample.

Wenger has 32%.

It's nowt special.  In the same time Everton (under Moyes and Martinez) have took 40% of points off those teams.

But it's satisfactory.  Allardyce who has a reputation as a spoiler has only taken 14% of points off them while at West ham.

Wenger has 32%.

It's a statistic comparing 3 managers with sample sizes of about 18 years, 3.5 years, and 1.5 years. And 2 of them are managing sides included in the sample.

I only included Wenger over the same period as Pardew.

Not sure how length of service makes any difference like.

Wenger has 32%.

I only included Wenger over the same period as Pardew.

Not sure how length of service makes any difference like.

What's his win % against Wenger in the same period?

Here's his record against the "top sides." He has an excellent record against Chelsea, home & away. A decent home record against Liverpool if we just forget that 6-0 ever happened, and a decent record against Man Utd, made to look better due to Moyes letting us win at Old Trafford for the first time in about 90 year. Man City and Arsenal just makes for grim viewing.

How out of the ordinary any of that is I don't know, it looks decent enough though overall, not quite "wow he's always sparing tactically with the best managers" territory but decent enough.

Arsenal:

2013/2014 Newcastle United - Arsenal FC 0:1 (0:0)

2012/2013 Newcastle United - Arsenal FC 0:1 (0:0)

2012/2013 Arsenal FC - Newcastle United 7:3 (1:1)

2011/2012 Arsenal FC - Newcastle United 2:1 (1:1)

2011/2012 Newcastle United - Arsenal FC 0:0 (0:0)

2010/2011 Newcastle United - Arsenal FC 4:4 (0:4)

W-0 : D-2 : L-4

F-8 : A-15

Chelsea:

2013/2014 Newcastle United - Chelsea FC 2:0 (0:0)

2012/2013 Newcastle United - Chelsea FC 3:2 (1:0)

2012/2013 Chelsea FC - Newcastle United 2:0 (2:0)

2011/2012 Chelsea FC - Newcastle United 0:2 (0:1)

2011/2012 Newcastle United - Chelsea FC 0:3 (0:1)

2010/2011 Chelsea FC - Newcastle United 2:2 (1:1)

W-3 : D-1 : L-2

F-7 : A-9

Liverpool:

2013/2014 Newcastle United - Liverpool FC 2:2 (1:1)

2012/2013 Newcastle United - Liverpool FC 0:6 (0:2)

2012/2013 Liverpool FC - Newcastle United 1:1 (0:1)

2011/2012 Newcastle United - Liverpool FC 2:0 (1:0)

2011/2012 Liverpool FC - Newcastle United 3:1 (1:1)

2010/2011 Liverpool FC - Newcastle United 3:0 (1:0)

2010/2011 Newcastle United - Liverpool FC 3:1 (1:0)

W-2 : D-2 : L-3

F-9 : A-12

Man City:

2013/2014 Newcastle United - Manchester City 0:2 (0:1)

2013/2014 Manchester City - Newcastle United 4:0 (2:0)

2012/2013 Manchester City - Newcastle United 4:0 (2:0)

2012/2013 Newcastle United - Manchester City 1:3 (0:2)

2011/2012 Newcastle United - Manchester City 0:2 (0:0)

2011/2012 Manchester City - Newcastle United 3:1 (2:0)

2010/2011 Newcastle United - Manchester City 1:3 (0:2)

W-0 : D-0 : L-7

F-3 : A-21

Man Utd:

2013/2014 Manchester United - Newcastle United 0:1 (0:0)

2012/2013 Manchester United - Newcastle United 4:3 (1:2)

2012/2013 Newcastle United - Manchester United 0:3 (0:2)

2011/2012 Newcastle United - Manchester United 3:0 (1:0)

2011/2012 Manchester United - Newcastle United 1:1 (0:0)

2010/2011 Newcastle United - Manchester United 0:0 (0:0)

W-2 : D-2 : L-2

F-8 : A-8

Cups:

2010/2011 Newcastle United - Arsenal FC 0:4 (0:1)

2012/2013 Manchester United - Newcastle United 2:1 (1:0)

2013/2014 Newcastle United - Manchester City 0:2 (0:0, 0:0) aet

W-0 : D-0 : L-3

F-1 : A-8

Total League:

W-7 : D-7 : L-21

F-36 : A-73

Total League & Cups:

W-7 : D-7 : L-24

F-37 : A-81