Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lost us the game today before a ball was f***ing kicked.

Totally agree. Not a great problem with the 11 selected but the formation was all wrong - Sissoko had to be in the middle with HBA wide right to match their formation. We then needed to press high and isolate Altidore.

Having said that I'd only keep Krul, Debuchy and Sissoko from the starting eleven if I planned to challenge for 4th place.

His decision the last week to play Saylor in front of MYM is a disgrace in inself.

:thup: That really has been an inexplicable decision of his.  When Coloccini and Taylor were injured earlier in the season, MYM and Williamson did a really good job on the whole and MYM was unlucky to be dropped when Coloccini came back, but I could sort of buy into it because we seem to be more solid at the back when our central defenders are chalk and cheese, i.e. you pick one of Coloccini/MYM and one of Taylor/Williamson and you have the right mix of brains and brawn.  Since then MYM has generally been fucked around and been either on the bench or out of position.  It really seems as though Taylor and his agent are in Pardew's ear, probably not far off the Demba Ba situation, and again we're in the daft situation where the wishes/demands of a player are deemed more important than what's best for the team.

Before the match he says it's not important how you play. After the match he says we didn't play the right way. He doesn't know his own mind.

He obviously knows a thing or two about football, it would be churlish to say he doesn't. He's played, he's done the coaching courses, he's managed.

He'd probably be a good assistant manager, some one with an opinion. His problem is he doesn't have the b*ll*x to be a leader. He'd doesn't have the conviction in his own ideas and he projects that onto the players. That's why he's always chopping and changing.

He'll have decent spells, every manager - even the crap ones like Souness had decent spells. Over any length of time though, you'll always know Pardew will fall short because, when under pressure, he's just flaky. Always will be. Far too old to change.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Bit melodramatic.

Ok -

What would you say Sunderland's main strengths are?

The thing with Taylor is, Pardew will see him and Shola as his supporters and confidants in the dressing room. He won't trust the French lads when it all goes moody.

Fair point, you're probably right.

Wikipedia reckons we paid £8.5m for Yanga-Mbiwa, that's a lot of money for us and it seems strange that Pardew is getting away with letting him rot on the bench.  I think we must have been pretty sure Coloccini was off, this lad was his replacement but he never left.

Fuck knas why Taylor/Williamson are playing though, suppose Williamson doesn't deserve to be dropped and Taylor generally gets played when fit.

Bit melodramatic.

Ok -

I'd say Sunderland's main strengths are they have a manager who can identify his players strengths and weaknesses, then can put them into the right areas of the pitch to maximise them. They haven't actually got that many strengths but they make the most of them.

Taylor probably played because he's English, so Pardew felt he and Williamson would communicate better. Plus Taylor is more likely to kick up a fuss if benched unlike Mapou. Same reason he hook Sammy today instead of others as he was easier. Guy is a fraud and a coward.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Bit melodramatic.

Ok -

I'd say Sunderland's main strengths are they have a manager who can identify his players strengths and weaknesses, then can put them into the right areas of the pitch to maximise them. They haven't actually got that many strengths but they make the most of them.

That's a fair comment but not necessarily what I was going for.

For me they can lap up/recycle long balls all day - it's basically comfort zone stuff. They know what they're doing.

We should have controlled it from midfield - and whilst I accept Cabaye has gone I don't think the entire game plan should have suffered. They have zero pace and we should have been looking to exploit this.

There was very, very little purpose to our game today and the mackems regardless of manager have a directness that serves them well, they were there not just for the taking but we could have viciously tore them a new one. 

Bit melodramatic.

Ok -

If I'm honest I was taking the piss because it's the type of thing you usually accuse others of.

If we're being serious then in terms of team selection I thoroughly disagree with Taylor getting a game ahead of MYM if the other centre half is Williamson but otherwise wouldn't argue with the team he put out, as Marveaux/De Jong certainly haven't had enough match time recently to warrant or justify a start.

The starting line-up isn't the be-all-and-end-all though and I assume that's what you might be getting at?  In which case I agree our mentality for the game was 100% wrong, we didn't seem to have a gameplan geared towards dominating the opposition but instead appeared to have the attitude that if we were committed then that would hopefully be enough.

As Pardew seems quite a reactive chap, I assume this is because his perception is that we passed them off the park earlier this season but the quality didn't lead to a result, therefore we needed to try to make it scrappy and hope we could win enough 1-on-1 battles.  Either way, it was fucking rubbish.