Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I am slightly fearful of the reaction I will get to this post, but I myself am trying to work out the events of the weekend and make sense of it.

If Pardew had been sacked at the end of last season, but Kinnear was still DoF, no permanent signings etc etc, and we had appointed a manager of the quality of a Martinez (or whoever else people would want to replace Pardew), do people think we would be doing markedly better? 

Don't get me wrong - Pardew is an average manager and if someone offered me a better manager, I would snap their hand off.

I think Martinez (or anyone worth considering) would not take the job with Kinnear as DOF so that question is not really answerable . Also  I cannot believe anyone would disagree with your final sentence.

Fair enough - I suppose the question isn't all that great.  On the basis that there are lots of better managers out there than Pardew, it is reasonable to assume they would be doing better than him.  I just can't work out by how much he is underperforming and where we should reasonably expect to be (caveated of course by the fact that we should be aiming to win stuff and shouldn't limit ourselves..).

Taking the results in isolation on a spreadsheet, he's not doing a bad job this season. As a supporter, this result coupled with the cup performances/results have been a disgusting slap in the face.

Personally I could never ever forgive him for last season's derby, now that he's doubled it up though I don't know how anybody could.

Gullitt walked after dropping Shearer and losing a derby match 2-1 at home, and the press called his team sheet the  equivalent of a suicide note. Yet Pardew loses two successive home derbies 3-0 on the bounce and yet the fans are still sympathetic. I'm flabbergasted tbh. We just seem to accept derby defeats with a shrug of the shoulders these days.

Horse punching, pitch invading, season ticket hoying, full throated, stadium wide booing and negatory chanting aside like.

There has been f*** all back-lash and you know it. Shrug of the shoulders is an apt description in proportion to the crime committed.

I am slightly fearful of the reaction I will get to this post, but I myself am trying to work out the events of the weekend and make sense of it.

If Pardew had been sacked at the end of last season, but Kinnear was still DoF, no permanent signings etc etc, and we had appointed a manager of the quality of a Martinez (or whoever else people would want to replace Pardew), do people think we would be doing markedly better? 

Don't get me wrong - Pardew is an average manager and if someone offered me a better manager, I would snap their hand off.

I think Martinez (or anyone worth considering) would not take the job with Kinnear as DOF so that question is not really answerable . Also  I cannot believe anyone would disagree with your final sentence.

Fair enough - I suppose the question isn't all that great.  On the basis that there are lots of better managers out there than Pardew, it is reasonable to assume they would be doing better than him.  I just can't work out by how much he is underperforming and where we should reasonably expect to be (caveated of course by the fact that we should be aiming to win stuff and shouldn't limit ourselves..).

Taking the results in isolation on a spreadsheet, he's not doing a bad job this season. As a supporter, this result coupled with the cup performances/results have been a disgusting slap in the face.

Personally I could never ever forgive him for last season's derby, now that he's doubled it up though I don't know how anybody could.

Gullitt walked after dropping Shearer and losing a derby match 2-1 at home, and the press called his team sheet the  equivalent of a suicide note. Yet Pardew loses two successive home derbies 3-0 on the bounce and yet the fans are still sympathetic. I'm flabbergasted tbh. We just seem to accept derby defeats with a shrug of the shoulders these days.

I get your point, but we were doing a hell of a lot worse in terms of league position under Gullit so I am not sure it is comparable?

We weren't last season after 0-3 and 0-6 and he still had far more fans than Gullit/Souness/Roeder/Allardyce ever had.

I get your point, but we were doing a hell of a lot worse in terms of league position under Gullit so I am not sure it is comparable?

We weren't last season after 0-3 and 0-6 and he still had far more fans than Gullit/Souness/Roeder/Allardyce ever had.

He'd managed a 5th place and a manager of the season award. None of the others came close to that.

That's the first time in ages I've seen a reporter ask anywhere near the questions we want asking. Fair play whoever they were but they most likely will be banned now.

That reaction to the question on permanent signings is very dodgy.

I have a feeling(hope) Ashley's preparing for a shift and will eventually leave and takeover Rangers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2550585/Questions-Newcastles-transfer-policy-continue-mount-derby-defeat.html

PARDEW FAILS TO ANSWER QUESTIONS OVER NEWCASTLE TRANSFERS

At the end of one of the most difficult weeks, and miserable games of his career, Pardew met the assembled daily press to fulfil his final media responsibilities of that week. He looked tired of it all, almost bereft of fight and justification. But questions needed to be asked.

He struggled to find the answers, at least the ones he might want to give, and which wouldn’t cost him his job.

This is how the conversation went:

Q: It’s a tough question to ask you but is the club, as it stands, capable of making permanent signings?

Pardew: 'Well ...'

Press officer: 'I think that’s an unfair one to ask the manager.'

Q: But it’s two transfer windows without one now and Alan said...

Pardew: 'I’ve got no comment to make on that one.'

Q: You said at the start of last week that the club can’t not replace Yohan, but that’s exactly what happened.

Pardew: 'I didn’t particularly say in this window though. I said, you know, we’ve got to get players of that class, there’s no doubt about that. So don’t try and angle that for this window because I think that’s unfair on me.'

Q: You said ‘we need to bring someone in, for sure. We can’t lose someone of his quality and not replace him. That would leave us vulnerable’. Do you stand by that?

Pardew: 'Well, I’ve said it, ain’t I? But I’m meaning in the long-term as well as the short-term, that it’s the quality we need. And, you know, today has been a tough day for us and I don’t really want to add any more to it, to be honest.

Q: Part of the problem you’ve got is that if you don’t speak out against not getting a replacement it makes it look as though you’re going along with the decisions the board is making and therefore you get criticism heaped on your shoulders and take the blame for that.

Pardew: 'Yeah, I’m a professional manager. You know, if I was in charge, solely, of transfers, the answer might be different, but I’m not.'

Q: It does feel sometimes that you’re being asked to manage with your hands tied behind your back.

Press officer: 'These are all quite unfair questions.'

Q: Unfortunately the manager is the only person who will speak for the club.

Silence.

Q: Alan, is there a collective blame for today, from the top of the club, right down to on the pitch.

Pardew: 'The only way I can answer what has happened today is that it’s a disappointing day for the club.'

Q: What do you say to Mike Ashley and Joe Kinnear when you’re having those discussions on Friday and it’s clear you’re not going to get a replacement (for Cabaye)? Do you make your opinions clear on that?

Pardew: 'I think I’ve made my opinion very clear this week and all the rest of it is confidentiality.'

Q: How do you lift yourself?

Pardew: 'I’ll be alright.'

Walks off.

interesting line

He'd managed a 5th place and a manager of the season award. None of the others came close to that.

Roeder got us to 7th, that's close to 5th.

Yup. Wullie asked why he got off lightly when we had that shocking sequence of results. The point I was trying to make is that Pardew had built up some support because he got us close to a CL spot ending up in 5th place and it was done over a full season. None of the others did that.

God, that interview is grim. So spineless.

In hindsight, finishing 5th was the worst thing that could happen to us long-term. The perfect excuse to give him a whopper (length) deal and brainwash supporters. I remember so many horrendous performances that season where it was an utter miracle we won. We had individual brilliance of two deadly strikers (one for each half of the season), Cabaye, and Ben Arfa (when he finally decided to start him ahead of Obertan). The signs were there, but the instant 'successes' concealed them...

God, that interview is grim. So spineless.

In hindsight, finishing 5th was the worst thing that could happen to us long-term. The perfect excuse to give him a whopper (length) deal and brainwash supporters. I remember so many horrendous performances that season where it was an utter miracle we won. We had individual brilliance of two deadly strikers (one for each half of the season), Cabaye, and Ben Arfa (when he finally decided to start him ahead of Obertan). The signs were there, but the instant 'successes' concealed them...

Spot on. And it's amazing how far he's ridden that wave, with most people still supporting him or willing to give him time, or, heaven-forbid, feeling sorry for him.

Fucking Gus Poyet has walked into our great stadium put Pardew's ankles on his shoulders, taken out his metaphoric wang and without any Vaseline, moisturiser or even a little spit he's ripped him a new arse hole, pulled out, came on his chest, wiped his dick on the curtains and left with a big f***ing grin on his face, yet I hear fans still defending Pardew. Pardew picked the team, Pardew instilled the tactics and Pardew made the substitutions, all three were completely wrong and ultimately cost us the game. The book stops with him.

everything wullie said :thup:

as regards the Hughesy (iirc) post about anyone else doing better i've been saying for ages this season is one of fine margins again because he's a margins manager - he's got a good away record this season which is is helping paper over how shit we are at breaking average/poor teams down at home, even at home against some of the poorer teams a number of results have ended our way when they could easily have gone to the other team (stoke) or ended in draws (fulham) based on our performance quality

everything is still based on a tight defence and individuals winning us the game with brilliance if we're being honest, the same way it was when we finished 5th, now it just looks prettier - it is utterly unsustainable and now one of the best individuals has gone we'll no doubt struggle to the end of the season, then unless he's given more match-winning individuals in the summer then we might be looking at a repeat of the relegation struggle

so in summary maybe martinez wouldn't be exceeding 8th place, although i think he would, the problem with pardew has been the same for ages and taking his 'performance', i.e. points, this season is missing the point with him entirely

i'm personally similar to venkman as well, this place is the last tie to the club and team for me - when i'm at home i have to bust my chops watching games in the middle of the night and ruining the days that follow being fucking knackered, decided i'm just not going to do it anymore tbh 'til pardew is away

People always mention this will be the best job he'll ever have. I'd say if he fucked off - he might end up at a smaller club, but he'll probably earn a higher salary and will probably get more input on player recruitment.

So aye, he should gan.

People always mention this will be the best job he'll ever have. I'd say if he f***ed off - he might end up at a smaller club, but he'll probably earn a higher salary and will probably get more input on player recruitment.

So aye, he should gan.

He'd be found out as the shit manager he actually is within months of his next job, be it a lower Premier League/upper Championship club. He'll not have a team of internationals to hide behind.

People always mention this will be the best job he'll ever have. I'd say if he f***ed off - he might end up at a smaller club, but he'll probably earn a higher salary and will probably get more input on player recruitment.

So aye, he should gan.

He'd be found out as the s*** manager he actually is within months of his next job, be it a lower Premier League/upper Championship club. He'll not have a team of internationals to hide behind.

That's fine with me :)

See, I read that interview and I just don't get how it leads people to their spineless, slimy, outraged conclusions.

He just seems to be completely sick of trying to remain professional and present a united front after his boss has dropped him in the shit again. It's the face he was presenting before the derby too.

He could do a Malcky Mackay but then he'd  be out of a job within the week. It says more about the strained relations within the club than any flaws Pardew has.

See, I read that interview and I just don't get how it leads people to their spineless, slimy, outraged conclusions.

He just seems to be completely sick of trying to remain professional and present a united front after his boss has dropped him in the s*** again. It's the face he was presenting before the derby too.

He could do a Malcky Mackay but then he'd  be out of a job within the week. It says more about the strained relations within the club than any flaws Pardew has.

Isnt that the point though? the reason he comes across as a slimy bottler I mean?

If faced with that sort of humiliation / undermining of your job on a weekly basis anyone with an ounce of professional integrity would front it &, if need be, negotiate a way out if they weren't prepared to make your job tenable.

He`s a shite tactician, out of his depth desperate to cling on to the most high profile job he`s ever / will ever had.

With this bloke as manager, we will never win anything (Long balls up to Shola was his master plan Saturday remember)