Manchester United

Mr. Snrub
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I do agree that Man Utd wasn’t that bad before the first goal. Liverpool's pressing was insane and Man Utd successfully broke through it and created several chances. With a bit of luck Man Utd might be able to score first and prevented such a heavy loss. It was not that one-sided

the problem, however, is that this is exactly what Liverpool wanted to happen. They know their attackers are more clinical and as the new bald explained, they studied Man Utd’s build up pattern and hence able to exploit it. So that means even if the game was rematches, Liverpool 99% will still get the 3 points.

Edited by Zero

43 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Oh the system has issues, it requires everything to be perfect. I'm not in any way saying the system doesn't carry blame for the play over the last 12 months, but it's looked a lot more compact early this season, and it's been individual mistakes that have cost us the games.

Mainoo was fully at fault for the third goal as well, but I'm not going to start tearing apart a 19 year old in his first full season. He's clearly an excellent player, but he shouldn't be starting every week and being relied on as much as he is. 

I don't understand why Casemiro is the one taking the responsibility of progressing the ball from the back.

Should Mainoo not be the one tasked with doing this between the two? Why is that still not clear up till now, despite all the mistakes Casemiro has made and still keeps making?

There just doesn't seem to be a clear plan or pattern of play there.

On top of that, I'm not even sure if Mainoo is fully up to that level of responsibility. He seems to have been handed the keys a bit too soon.

Bringing in another centre mid that could distribute from midfield would have been the way to go to take pressure off him. Eriksen is there still I guess, but he doesn't have the legs for midfield and is not great defensively.

Think the midfield is hurting you defensively as they get run by easily and they hurt you going forward as the build up from the back is unconvincing.

Ugarte will help defensively. Will be interesting to see if things will improve going forward too. He'll naturally play it to Mainoo more and it will then be up to him to initiate things.

9 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I don't understand why Casemiro is the one taking the responsibility of progressing the ball from the back.

This is where the line is drawn as to whether it's a coaching issue or not. I don't think Casemiro is being tasked with that, but I think he's taking it upon himself. It's common sense that Casemiro should be giving the ball to Mainoo or Fernandes, but that's not happening. I just can't see that being Ten Hag's instruction.

Ten Hag normally stands by players in the team, so Casemiro being hooked at half time is a bit telling.

Other than that, I agree with pretty much everything else you've said.

18 minutes ago, Froggy said:

This is where the line is drawn as to whether it's a coaching issue or not. I don't think Casemiro is being tasked with that, but I think he's taking it upon himself. It's common sense that Casemiro should be giving the ball to Mainoo or Fernandes, but that's not happening. I just can't see that being Ten Hag's instruction.

Ten Hag normally stands by players in the team, so Casemiro being hooked at half time is a bit telling.

Other than that, I agree with pretty much everything else you've said.

The weird thing is Casemiro has been doing this for a while and so if it's not the instruction and he's doing something he shouldn't be, then he should not be playing and should have been sent packing in the summer.

There were some really good solid midfielders in the last year of their deals this summer, that went for relative peanuts in Fofana from Monaco and Thuram from Nice, both moved for around £20 million. I cannot believe you didn't end up with at least one of them.

For what it's worth I won't be surprised if you end up signing Rabiot in the next few weeks.

I think you need more options in there that can complement both Ugarte and Mainoo.

Edited by KaKa

Froggy: “Ten Hag is a good manager, it was all Casemiro’s fault. We actually deserved to win that game, we beat them in XG and didn’t look that bad for 10 minutes in the first half”

8 hours ago, Joey47 said:

Froggy: “Ten Hag is a good manager, it was all Casemiro’s fault. We actually deserved to win that game, we beat them in XG and didn’t look that bad for 10 minutes in the first half”

Tbf, that was a quality bit of play from Liverpool, who are looking annoyingly good for a side that just lost their talisman manager

Norway is playing Austria in the Nations League today and Ralf Ragnick, now manager of Austria, was asked how he thought his words when he left Man United had aged:

"This club doesn't need cosmetic surgery, it needs open heart surgery."

to which he replied: "If you take a look the state that club is in today, even just compared to when I left it, would you say I was incorrect? No, you wouldn't. I was hired in an attempt by the club ownership to paper over the cracks, and I followed a more competent and knowledgeable football manager than the one they hired to follow me." 

Love me a bit of snark :lol: 

Edited by Kaizero

3 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

Norway is playing Austria in the Nations League today and Ralf Ragnick, now manager of Austria, was asked how he thought his words when he left Man Uted:

"This club doesn't need cosmetic surgery, it needs open heart surgery."

to which he replied: "If you take a look the state that club is in today, even just compared to when I left it, would you say I was incorrect? No, you wouldn't. I was hired in an attempt by the club ownership to paper over the cracks, and I followed a more competent and knowledgeable football manager than the one they hired to follow me." 

Love me a bit of snark :lol: 

Obviously still salty than Ten Hag didn't want to work with him. I like that he called Ole a competent and knowledgable football manager though. Ole is my guy.

Baffling decision by the club to get Rangnick in to do a job, not listen to him, then get rid of him before he could make an impact. :lol:

7 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Obviously still salty than Ten Hag didn't want to work with him. I like that he called Ole a competent and knowledgable football manager though. Ole is my guy.

Baffling decision by the club to get Rangnick in to do a job, not listen to him, then get rid of him before he could make an impact. :lol:

Whilst I know that as an NUFC supporter I'm supposed to hate the guy with intense passion due to that tackle, I'm also a Norwegian, which means I can't help defending the fact that OGS isn't a bad manager. He's perhaps not an elite manager capable of managing a massive club in a massive league, but the job he did completely restructuring Molde from the bottom up to take them to their first league title in their history and to perform well in Europe is just something that can't be denied was well done. Especially if you look at how Molde, whilst still one of the "big" teams in Norway, have started to fall apart, season by season, after he left them. 

Now, if Molde's decline comes as a result of OGS leaving them or Kjetil Knudsen re-inventing the way a football club is meant to be run up in Bodø is another discussion entirely :lol:

Edited by Kaizero

9 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

Whilst I know that as an NUFC supporter I'm supposed to hate the guy with intense passion due to that tackle, I'm also a Norwegian, which means I can't help defending the fact that OGS isn't a bad manager. He's perhaps not an elite manager capable of managing a massive club in a massive league, but the job he did completely restructuring Molde from the bottom up to take them to their first league title in their history and to perform well in Europe is just something that can't be denied was well done. Especially if you look at how Molde, whilst still one of the "big" teams in Norway, have started to fall apart, season by season, after he left them. 

Now, if Molde's decline comes as a result of OGS leaving them or Kjetil Knudsen re-inventing the way a football club is meant to be run up in Bodø is another discussion entirely :lol:

It always was very silly to suggest Solskjaer was a bad manager, but like you say, he was just limited. We played some blistering football under him and when he set us up to counter we were extremely effective. He just didn't have the tactical nous to control games against better managers, and he didn't have the authority to keep players on his side when things started going pear shaped. He was thrown under the bus almost immediately.

Since 2013 though the most enjoyable period for us was easily under Solskjaer, and he's the only manager who didn't win anything.