Newcastle United vs Southampton - Saturday 14th December at 3pm (not on TV)

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Playing 4-4-2 will play into their hands imo. Keep 3 in the middle and keep the ball away from them.

Disagree actually, their high press leaves a lot of their men up the pitch and so keeping pressure on their back line with 2 strikers and a bit more direct will keep them more cautious. Playing 3 men risks leaving a single striker isolated when they press so high. Having said that worry that playing 2 men in mid will cause trouble

I would consider (may get pounced on for this) playing a 4-2-3-1 as such

Shola

Remy    HBA    Sissoko

Tiote    Anita

Santon Colo  Willo  Debs

Krul

Make diagonal balls over their high press to Sissoko and Remy on teh wings while Shola provides a constant presence in their CBs with Ben Arfa exploiting the spaces left from Remy and Sissoko's wide runs. Tiote and Anita making sure we're not dropping too deep and keeping the ball. Gouf as super-sub

I agree with going 4-4-2. We know how to deal with 3 man midfields when in a 2, it was just at Swansea where the strikers weren't doing their jobs. Don't think I'd play Shola though, their high line might be better for pace to exploit.

Hopefully, this will see the best of our lot. Soton's high press should leave some good space for our quick players to work with, we'll need to play at pace.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

They are good good team but very overrated. They haven't won away from home in a while since beating Liverpool at Anfield and while you could argue they have played ManU,Chelsea and Arsenal away, we have beaten Spurs and ManU away. So there's no excuse there. I think the wheels will come off when they start playing the midtable teams away from home and excuses run out. 2-0 win for me Remy and Shola

I would like to see Ben-Arfa get a start. Give him a chance to play a strategic technical game like what he did at Manu. Like the thought of that roaming 10 position for him and he did look sharp and oozed confidence.

I know we may give up some of our steel by doing so but just to see him take on a man, drop a should or make a deft pass is the cream that would top off perfectly how we have been playing lately.... Would be top banana if it all clicked!

I have a sneaking suspicion they might be tailor made for us, in a way. I think it was Chelsea who switched to a more direct style of play against them and had more success than trying to play through them. One of their main strengths this season has been their rapacious pressing of the opposition, but we're a halfway house between a good team who plays on the deck and a team that will hit the front man ASAP, so we'll bypass their main strength :lol:

I'm looking at this one in the same way I looked at the Swansea game. A draw wouldn't be a terrible result but it would be a real opportunity missed against a team we've every chance of beating, imo. They've only scored 5 goals away from home.

I have a sneaking suspicion they might be tailor made for us, in a way. I think it was Chelsea who switched to a more direct style of play against them and had more success than trying to play through them. One of their main strengths this season has been their rapacious pressing of the opposition, but we're a halfway house between a good team who plays on the deck and a team that will hit the front man ASAP, so we'll bypass their main strength :lol:

I see what you mean cos we have improved. But I still think we can look weak against teams who relentlessly press us. Granted, not as bad as last season, where it was basically a cast-iron defeat if teams didn't give us half an hour on the ball, but we're still a bit shaky. Hopefully the crowd is right up for it cos that will help. The players have earned a raucous home backing.

We don't launch it to front man that much tbh.

We can though, is what I mean (and with more quality than your West Ham/Stokes too, I would add), we have that variety to switch up our play a little bit and give us a bit more unpredictability.

We don't launch it to front man that much tbh.

We can though, is what I mean (and with more quality than your West Ham/Stokes too, I would add), we have that variety to switch up our play a little bit and give us a bit more unpredictability.

We have added that this season as last it appeared 90% hoofing the ball, we appear a lot more reluctant to do so this season and mix it up a fair bit.

be interesting to see how pardew tries to play it. seemed like he tried to replicate previous tactics with different personnel at swansea. if he tries similar on saturday we could see shola or cisse back and launching balls in behind their full backs.

krul

debuchy    willo    mapou      santon

sissoko  tiote  anita

ben arfa                                      gouffran

remy

5 across the middle when out of possession, gouffran and very much a 3 with sissoko aswell pushing on when in possession. rocket under ben arfas arse to move off the ball.

Spot on ! Sissoko definitely further forward when in possession. Tiote and Anita holding and we can tweak from there if needs be.

HBA hopefully to prove he's back to his best !

Hopefully:

------------------------ Krul ------------------------

Debuchy ----- Willo ------ Colo -------- Santon

----------------------- Tiote ------------------------

------------ Sissoko -------- Anita ----------------

HBA -------------------------------------- Gouffran

----------------------- Remy ------------------------

Probably:

------------------------ Krul ------------------------

Debuchy ----- Willo ------ Colo -------- Santon

Sissoko ------ Anita ------ Tiote ------ Gouffran

---------------- Shola ------ Remy -----------------

Wouldn't really argue with either tbh.

Even though I much prefer Ben Arfa as a RW compared to a central role, and I think Sissoko ultimately should be used as a CM, I would much rather see Ben Arfa come in as almost a straight replacement for Cabaye for this and keep Sissoko out on the right.