Newcastle United vs Southampton - Saturday 14th December at 3pm (not on TV)

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest The_Optimistic

With Cabaye out , Pardew need to play HBA as he's the only creative player we have left.

I don't think Cabaye and HBA are our only creative players.  I'd personally wouldn't play HBA until the day our current system goes to sh*t.  We play completely differently with HBA in the side and you can't ask him to do a job like what sissoko or Goufran has been doing because he can't.  HBA gives the ball away too often but yes he can create magic, but I still think we can create the chances without him whilst playing our current system.

With Cabaye out , Pardew need to play HBA as he's the only creative player we have left.

I don't think Cabaye and HBA are our only creative players.  I'd personally wouldn't play HBA until the day our current system goes to sh*t.  We play completely differently with HBA in the side and you can't ask him to do a job like what sissoko or Goufran has been doing because he can't.  HBA gives the ball away too often but yes he can create magic, but I still think we can create the chances without him whilst playing our current system.

What is our current system?

Been so long since the last time we had such a match, where I could just sit back, relax and enjoy for a bigger portion of the game. Can recall Wigan 3-0, where they got a wrong red card (and we a penalty?), but that feels ages ago.

Just checked, 3rd of Dec last year. Seems like a lifetime.

We play completely differently with HBA in the side and you can't ask him to do a job like what sissoko or Goufran has been doing because he can't.  HBA gives the ball away too often but yes he can create magic.

Too often for what though?  What kind of ball retention do you think a winger/attacking midfielder/striker should have?

Remember a great 5-0 performance against this lot, 99/00 I think.  2-0 up after about 3 minutes Big Dunc brace and being 4-0 up after about 20 mins.

Moar of the same pls.

Yes.  I was at that game.  I remember Ferguson scored but Shearer couldn't buy a goal that game.  Wonderful day out.  January 2000?

Remember a great 5-0 performance against this lot, 99/00 I think.  2-0 up after about 3 minutes Big Dunc brace and being 4-0 up after about 20 mins.

Moar of the same pls.

1 goal in 70 minutes? Fuck that [/pardew out]

Guest The_Optimistic

We play completely differently with HBA in the side and you can't ask him to do a job like what sissoko or Goufran has been doing because he can't.  HBA gives the ball away too often but yes he can create magic.

Too often for what though?  What kind of ball retention do you think a winger/attacking midfielder/striker should have?

When I watch him he seems to give the ball away in dangerous positions.  But I'm not sure if that game v Hull may be clouding my judgement of him.  Even on saturday he played an awful cross field ball when a easy pass was on.

He obviously had a really bad game vs Hull (didn't see much of it it since I was at work), but overall his ball retention isn't bad at all, for instance his pass completion on average is 5th highest in our squad.  Obviously running at players risks losing the ball, but on average he beats his man and retains possession about 70% of the time on those runs.  Their's always going to be more risk of losing the ball when you're trying to make something happen and I think he could definitely pick the times he trys the make things happen better and try to play it simple more often.  But I also think there's a definite exaggeration/false assumption from some people that he loses the ball loads when in reality he loses it less than quite a few others in the side.

I still don't think HBA was dropped due to much fault of his own really, but all accounts his team play has improved massively since he arrived here. He was just unlucky to be sacrificed because Pardew needed more solidity to grind us out of some bad form.

He'll never be as hard working as Sissoko and Gouffran however hard he tries, so it depends on what Pardew wants in the team.

Score draw.

Whoscored.com predicting a 2-0 home win, but I think that Cabaye will be a massive miss. Not just because he's in form and all that, but we haven't a like for like replacement.

Hopefully Ben Arfa will look to regain his starting place and put in the kind of performance we all know he's capable of.