Week 2: Who was/is better? Les Ferdinand or Andy Cole

Froggy
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Its hard to say really, playing with Beardsley Cole didn't really need to do anything than stick the ball in the net and he was damn good at it.

Ferdinand was definitely the more complete of the two, think it entirely depends on what scenario you find yourselfs in what sort of team you have.

I'm probably going to go with Cole just because he had a better and more consistent career.

Cole was an utter machine. Very quick minded. Like Mole says, he didn't have as much work to do playing alongside Beardsley though, that's not to say Les wasn't also very well catered for. Ferdinand was more able to score on his own and could score from more situations, was better with the ball at his feet and contributed assists.

Totally different types of striker in my book - Cole was a terrific goal-scorer in 93-94 and a bargain at the price we paid for him in early 1993...he was also young and had a longer career in front of him. Ferdinand was almost 28 when we bought him but he was better at leading the line and being a target man because he was bigger built...better in the air too. I reckon KK sold Cole not only because he wanted Ferdinand, but because he knew we had a good chance of getting Shearer ; I know for a fact that Shearer was asking one of the NE's national journalists if Newcastle were coming for him in 1995 and it took another year before we got him. We'll never know how Cole would have done during the season 95-96 when we missed the title but he had had shin splint problems some time before he went to Man U...at his best, he might have won us the title because Sir Les had a barren spell for goals in the run-in, notably against Man U at SJP that March when he had at least 2 good chances to score.

All conjecture, but we missed Ferdinand when he went to Spurs because Shearer had that long term injury.

Both really good strikers, Cole lethal at his best and hard to separate...I'll go for Cole simply because we had so much excitement during his time with us and I'll never forget SJP rocking to THAT song during the Leicester 7-1 and the Villa game next season where Cole got his 41st goal..!

I remember Sir Les coming up here as a QPR player, murdered us, scored 2. I couldn't believe it when we managed to sign him. As a poacher Cole wins hands down but as a player I'd have Sir Les every time; we completely f***ed up in the way he was allowed to leave. Yes, we were unfortunate with Shearer's injury but unless we desperately needed the money it was a howler of a decision.

Had Shearer not been injured, it would have made sense financially - Sir Les was 31 and Spurs were giving us 6m for him, a lot in those days. We had bought Tomasson who had played well alongside Shearer in the pre-season but was NOT a CF so he struggled when Shearer got injured - still went on to become a star at AC Milan..

We were unlucky - nobody touched Shearer at Goodison, he fell backwards on his ankle when stretching for a ball and the injury was catastrophic. Sir Les had already given his word to Spurs that he would go so wouldn't change his mind.

The whole thing was a disaster...

Guest firetotheworks

When Cole played for us it was always just a question of when he would score. Ferdinand was brilliant but Cole was just ridiculous in 93/94.

When Cole played for us it was always just a question of when he would score. Ferdinand was brilliant but Cole was just ridiculous in 93/94.

Reads like a rap.

Reads like a rap.

There was a young man from Venus...

Cole needed a level of service that Sir Les didn't though. Les had the  better ability to create for himself absolutely no doubt.

That goal against Dmitri Kharine from 'nigh on the centre circle when he punted it against Sir Les and it went off his knee with so much force it went the whole length of the pitch and in. Don't see goals like that any more, nutty keepers lol

It's tricky to compare them tbh - I was doing it on the basis of their time as NUFC players and couldn't separate them due to them having different attributes in their time with us, but over the course of their careers it's Cole.  That's mainly because Ferdinand was a bit of a late developer in comparison to Cole and didn't spend years of his career smashing the goals in for a top club.  If you're talking about on their best day then Ferdinand did have the ability to rip a team apart on his own whereas Cole was an outstanding finisher and a great complement to creative players like Beardsley, Giggs, Scholes, Beckham, etc.

Because Ferdinand could create more things for himself due to his physicality doesn't make him the better footballer in my eyes. Sometimes his touch wasn't the best and he wasn't the best when he had time to think.

I think Cole was actually a better footballer, as he proved when he went to Man Utd by being able to adapt his game and get more involved in things. Plus he was a better finisher too.

I remember Sir Les coming up here as a QPR player, murdered us, scored 2. I couldn't believe it when we managed to sign him. As a poacher Cole wins hands down but as a player I'd have Sir Les every time; we completely f***ed up in the way he was allowed to leave. Yes, we were unfortunate with Shearer's injury but unless we desperately needed the money it was a howler of a decision.

Had Shearer not been injured, it would have made sense financially - Sir Les was 31 and Spurs were giving us 6m for him, a lot in those days. We had bought Tomasson who had played well alongside Shearer in the pre-season but was NOT a CF so he struggled when Shearer got injured - still went on to become a star at AC Milan..

We were unlucky - nobody touched Shearer at Goodison, he fell backwards on his ankle when stretching for a ball and the injury was catastrophic. Sir Les had already given his word to Spurs that he would go so wouldn't change his mind.

The whole thing was a disaster...

was there that day, what a fucking pile of shite that was man

I cant seperate them...

Both had differnt abilities and qualities.

Sad that their time was short at NUFC.

Both went on to have great careers after NUFC, especially Cole.  Alot of ex NUFC players drift away to nothing.

That first season in the prem with Cole and Beardsley up front, we were smashing teams.  Im pretty confident that if Neil Ruddock had re arrnaged Beaardsley face in preseason we may have started the season better and had a shout in the title.