Eusebio - RIP

Mick

Eusebio: Portugal football legend dies aged 71

Portugal football legend Eusebio, who was top scorer at the 1966 World Cup, has died at the age of 71.

Born in Mozambique in 1942 when it was still a Portuguese colony, Eusebio da Silva Ferreira went on to play 64 times for Portugal, scoring 41 goals.

The Benfica striker's nine goals at the 1966 World Cup in England included four against North Korea.

He was widely considered one of the best players of all-time.

Eusebio, the 1965 European Footballer of the Year, won the European Cup with Benfica in 1962 and was in the side that lost to Manchester United in the 1968 Wembley final.

I was lucky enough to see him play against us and I probably only went to the game because he was playing.  Everybody was talking about him before the game and he was thought of as one of the best players in the world.

Big, strong, fast and skilful - pretty much the complete striker is my memory of him.

His career spanned the same period as Pele, so I think he was a bit overshadowed. Had there been no Pele, he'd have been regarded as the best player in the world.

Great player - saw him in the flesh during the friendly at SJP just after Supermac had signed for us in 1971. Not at his best by then, but still had a powerful shot and great skill. Always remember him overturning the N.Koreans after they were leading Portugal by 3 goals in '66...won the game on his own, they couldn't handle him.

A sad day.

RIP

One of those mythical names that you just know was a legend such as Beckenbauer, Cruyff, Platini, etc. without even seeing them play, you just accept as a great.

:thup: Sums it right up.

RIP Eusebio

And yet I feel he undeservedly gets overlooked in best-ever lists (like some of the names you mentioned)

RIP :clap: