Other clubs' transfers

TBG

It's interesting, the gap in opinions on Sterling.

I think a lot of the people saying he's overrated or inconsistent are forgetting he's 20 years old. Inconsistency is standard for a player of that age. I'm more interested in his moments of brilliance and his high points, which, so far, have been higher and more frequent than any other 20-year-old in world football. The only comparable player is José Gayá.

Obviously that means that he could be one of the best players in the world. He's already been (by quite some distance) the best player for a major footballing nation in a World Cup, as a teenager. He's also been poorly handled by Liverpool, but more as a symptom of how poorly Liverpool have handled losing Suárez; effectively piling a lot of the responsibility for goal and chance creation on him.

I think it's legitimate for him to worry about Liverpool's ability to compete, but I also think Man City would be the wrong choice. To fulfil his potential, he needs a team with a more stable and consistent tradition of competing, a playing identity, a better manager and intelligent, disciplined and talented teammates. Basically one of Europe's actual top teams: Bayern, Barcelona, Real Madrid. It'd be a massive waste otherwise.

Don't understand why people think he should be showing loyalty anyway. Liverpool poached him from QPR who in turn probably poached him from another amateur club when he was a child

said this in another thread. The loyalty angle is silly.

£30-40m should get you players with some pedigree. Mata, Sanchez, Ozil etc. so I see the disconnect. But all of those where unwanted by their club.

32 million for Willian isn't horrific tbf

It is like. 3 goals and 4 assists in about 40 starts.

Those are very bad stats tbf. He does do a lot of his best work in his own half for Chelsea though. If you asked Mourinho I would say he would call Willian's signing a success

Micah Richards has signed for Villa, reportedly for 65k per week.

Not bad that. Think he'll do well there. I still have faith in Micah coming along.

Maybe not a bad signing but the amount they're paying him is awful

32 million for Willian isn't horrific tbf

It is like. 3 goals and 4 assists in about 40 starts.

Those are very bad stats tbf. He does do a lot of his best work in his own half for Chelsea though. If you asked Mourinho I would say he would call Willian's signing a success

Agreed. But I hate Mourinho's approach to football. I want my wide players, creating and scoring. He fits the team very well. hard worker, strong, fast, good dribbler, retains possession. Danny Welbeck can do most of that for half the price. Tbf he's about £15m inferior than Juan Mata for me offensively.

It's interesting, the gap in opinions on Sterling.

I think a lot of the people saying he's overrated or inconsistent are forgetting he's 20 years old. Inconsistency is standard for a player of that age. I'm more interested in his moments of brilliance and his high points, which, so far, have been higher and more frequent than any other 20-year-old in world football. The only comparable player is José Gayá.

Obviously that means that he could be one of the best players in the world. He's already been (by quite some distance) the best player for a major footballing nation in a World Cup, as a teenager. He's also been poorly handled by Liverpool, but more as a symptom of how poorly Liverpool have handled losing Suárez; effectively piling a lot of the responsibility for goal and chance creation on him.

I think it's legitimate for him to worry about Liverpool's ability to compete, but I also think Man City would be the wrong choice. To fulfil his potential, he needs a team with a more stable and consistent tradition of competing, a playing identity, a better manager and intelligent, disciplined and talented teammates. Basically one of Europe's actual top teams: Bayern, Barcelona, Real Madrid. It'd be a massive waste otherwise.

Hakan Calhanoglu at Bayer has had two fantastic season both for club and national team and is rumoured to be valued at half of that and isn't at last year of contract.

As if the money really fucking matters to City. Might as well be £80mil, makes absolutely no difference to them. They sign whomever they wish. It makes no sense to debate how much Sterling is actually worth.

As if the money really fucking matters to City. Might as well be £80mil, makes absolutely no difference to them. They sign whomever they wish. It makes no sense to debate how much Sterling is actually worth.

:sadnod: I know it seems obscene to chastise City's methods given our own frugality, but I really don't enjoy the existence of financial demi-Gods in the sport. Ambition is one thing but simply buying your way to success by exploiting the unlimited resources of an Arab oil merchant... bleh, it just makes for such a poxy champion. They haven't built a thing, there. At least Chelsea had John Terry.

This Sterling thing has really wound me up. When he inevitably joins ManC it'll be yet another prime example of how this league has become pretty detestable in many ways, whilst journos, agents, newsreaders and a portion of the fans wank themselves daft over yet another predictable 'transfer saga'.