Other clubs' transfers

TBG

I don't really understand any player who could have a good career and millions of pounds elsewhere choosing Man City's bench instead.

I mean, I would take the money now but I don't have an alternative as a first team player.

What does he have to lose by going to City? He'll probably be on the bench mostly but what if it turns out that he's a good fit for City and that he complements their style well. If it goes badly which it probably will, he'll go back to a midtable side in a few years, exactly where he is now

By which time he'll have sat on his arse for three years and wasted a hefty chunk of his peak years. Depends what he wants from being a footballer really. If none of what he likes about the career choice involves playing football then he's grand.

There's always these sort of posts whenever a player makes a move like this - "nothing to lose, got to take the opportunity". Struggling to think of many occasions when it doesn't stagnate the player at best - in many, it simply ruins their career.

I don't think he's anything special and this is realistically his one shot at making massive money, being the 3rd sub in a champions league group stage game and getting winners medals for making a handful of appearances a year. It's a pretty sweet gig.

I don't begrudge him going.

We've been awful for four or five years now. We've shown zero ambition, we've had a tight fisted recruitment policy, we've demonstrated that all we care about is not getting relegated.

I wouldn't fancy much more of that if i was a player. I can barely bring myself to watch it now, and I've been watching us for over 40 years.

It's the way he has handled it that makes me want to vomit.

I suspect Benteke is on his way out too, which disappoints me, but I don't really bear him any ill will. That's because he hasn't put the club through the sort of fucking circus Delph has, the last week and a few months ago when he signed his new deal.

Deep down I suspect he knows he's a cunt. He apparently removed all pics of his family from his instagram account this afternoon. Ridiculously over the top, but he knows he's made himself look an absolute cunt. He didn't even look hugely happy in his signing photographs.

I'm not one to get annoyed without good reason but the way he has handled this has turned me from one who'd wish him all the best to someone who genuinely hopes he spends the next three years sat on his arse on their bench before washing up at some grim hell hole like Sunderland or Stoke.

I don't really understand any player who could have a good career and millions of pounds elsewhere choosing Man City's bench instead.

I mean, I would take the money now but I don't have an alternative as a first team player.

What does he have to lose by going to City? He'll probably be on the bench mostly but what if it turns out that he's a good fit for City and that he complements their style well. If it goes badly which it probably will, he'll go back to a midtable side in a few years, exactly where he is now

A few years on the bench can severely stunt his career.  Right now he's started to forge a good reputation, he's in form and getting international recognition.  He has all of that to lose if he stalls his progress for a few years sitting on the bench..  Sadly he probably cares more about the extra £50k or so a week than anything else.. 

He's an Aston Villa player though - no disrespect intended. Still makes me laugh the way Stewart Downing went on trying to get to Liverpool. Now he's in the Championship via West Ham.

The one characteristic shared by a great many footballers is a staggering sense of self delusion. Honestly don't know where utterly bog standard Premier League players like Downing and Delph get the idea that they're better than a huge (albeit underachieving) club like Villa.

This. It's an unfortunate part of today's game. Look at Sinclair, Moses, Sidwell all have moved from shite club A for a few bench appearances only to end up at equivalent club B 18 months down the line.

I can understand why they do it, say the first teamer gets injured and you get a streaky run...ding ding ding.

A few years on the bench can severely stunt his career.  Right now he's started to forge a good reputation, he's coming into form and international recognition.  He has all of that to lose if he stalls his progress for a few years sitting on the bench..  Sadly he probably cares more about the extra £50k or so a week than anything else..

Scott Sinclair must be pissing himself - "ah yeah Fab, they'll love you there mate, they love players like you, let me give you my mate Jack's number, he'll tell you all about it *snigger*"

Fucking Rodwell was meant to be the next big thing. Now he's carrying Lee Cattermole's bags round for him. Nothing to lose?

I think part of it is that professional footballers are by definition extremely confident individuals, which is one reason they're in the premier league to start with.

I don't buy the whole "it's about the money" argument when players go places like that, despite all the evidence to suggest they won't get a look in. I honestly think a lot of them think they're good enough to do it. I bet Rodwell did when he went there, I bet Scott Sinclair did too.

It's not just about money. It's about success, too.

It used to be in football that having money was no guarantee of success. What we have now, though, is a situation where the most salient fact is that not having money is a guarantee of no success.

That's why we have situations whereby your board and ours think staying up is enough. Why Ashley can say he'll only leave when you win something and then adds "and by the way, I consider finishing in the top four winning something". Why the Arsenal manager can punch the air like he's won the league on the last day of the season when Arsenal secure a top four place by beating Wigan.

I don't even think Man City want half of these players they buy. With the likes of Sterling, it's like a game of dare. Press link them with him. Liverpool want huge money. Stupidly huge money.

At that point you just *know* they're going to sign him, because they have to, they've been linked with a stupidly big transfer fee, they have to make it happen.

It's pretty fucking sad, really, to think how much emotional energy we put into this circus, and it's all for no reward.

I think that secret footballer article is so bad. Insinuating that him not leaving meant he was not up for the challenge? It's nonsense. Man City are never going to play the guy man and we all know it. They'll probably buy some other top midfielder by the time the window closes further pushing Delph into oblivion.

It's not a situation where he will be given a real chance to do anything, and so in actuality it's a gross lack of ambition going there. Unless they are guaranteeing him starts, which they won't be, it's stupid. Let's not forget they play 4-4-2 by the way. Toure is a guaranteed starter, and Delph is never going to partner him, as he doesn't play a holding role.

People keep saying go for the money. This guy is not struggling to put food on the table. How much is he on at Villa? I'm sure he can make do with 2 Range Rovers rather than 10. It's all well and good getting more money, but you still have to balance that up with being in the right situation too, so you can actually play football.

Do think City genuinely wanted Sterling and it wasn't a case of them thumping their chests so to speak, they have been looking for someone to compliment Silva in their midfield for what seems like ever. But i do agree with your general point Brummie, either that or or they just don't have a clue how to build a balanced squad which all things considered is entirely possible tbf.

Problem they have at moment only fame/money hungry types will move because they don't have the overall draw especially when they know Pellegrini is a sitting egg and so they could be out in 6-12 months.

By which time he'll have sat on his arse for three years and wasted a hefty chunk of his peak years. Depends what he wants from being a footballer really. If none of what he likes about the career choice involves playing football then he's grand.

There's always these sort of posts whenever a player makes a move like this - "nothing to lose, got to take the opportunity". Struggling to think of many occasions when it doesn't stagnate the player at best - in many, it simply ruins their career.

As I said it will probably not work out but the upside if it does work out is that he will probably play for England for the next 6 or 7 years and will be remembered in the future for being a good player for a very good team. I'd prefer that ambition than to just stay at an average or below average side and accept that this is as good as its going to get

I don't begrudge him going.

We've been awful for four or five years now. We've shown zero ambition, we've had a tight fisted recruitment policy, we've demonstrated that all we care about is not getting relegated.

I wouldn't fancy much more of that if i was a player. I can barely bring myself to watch it now, and I've been watching us for over 40 years.

It's the way he has handled it that makes me want to vomit.

I suspect Benteke is on his way out too, which disappoints me, but I don't really bear him any ill will. That's because he hasn't put the club through the sort of fucking circus Delph has, the last week and a few months ago when he signed his new deal.

Deep down I suspect he knows he's a cunt. He apparently removed all pics of his family from his instagram account this afternoon. Ridiculously over the top, but he knows he's made himself look an absolute cunt. He didn't even look hugely happy in his signing photographs.

I'm not one to get annoyed without good reason but the way he has handled this has turned me from one who'd wish him all the best to someone who genuinely hopes he spends the next three years sat on his arse on their bench before washing up at some grim hell hole like Sunderland or Stoke.

:lol:

Yaya, Fernando and Fernandinho?

And they play a 3 in midfield right?  Not beyond the realms of possibility he'll play a fair bit this season, assuming they don't sign anyone else.

Depends, sometimes its a 4231, with Nasri, Silva and Navas infront of Yaya and Fernadinho. But yeah, he's gonna get 20-30 games across all competitions, easily. 

Yaya, Fernando and Fernandinho?

And they play a 3 in midfield right?  Not beyond the realms of possibility he'll play a fair bit this season, assuming they don't sign anyone else.

They usually play 2 in midfield and 2 upfront with Silva and some over diminutive fucker doing what they want, although it's not outside the realms the possibility they go with just Aguero i suppose.

Cuntery aside which Is awful frankly, if your going just go don't make a song and dance about staying then fuck off. But putting that aside are people seriously saying they wouldn't have joined city in that situation as well?

Guest chopey

I don't think he'll get in peps team next season ...........so.........stoke or Sunderland it is then.

Can't totally fault the end product - his way of going about it was dick - but he wants to challenge himself. You have to have that ego to be the best and he does and wants to see if he has what it takes - you have to take the chance if offered it.