Other clubs' transfers

TBG

Youth product, a good player, club don't need the money.

1 year left on deal never played wanted to leave. Liverpool have been ripped off

You have to pay compensation for youth players who are out of contract so he'd never have been free and I'll pass judgement on 'ripped off' after I've seen what impact he has. He is supposed to be rather good I'm led to believe, he's an international after all.

being an international means nowt these days Shola's one after all. And I'm not sure if the compensation thing applies between different countries, Celtic got Joe Ledley off Cardiff for absolutely nothing despite him coming through there. It just seems utterly stupid and needlessly expensive for a guy in his situation when you could have lined him up for free next summer in a few months.

I know ragging on Liverpool is all the rage these days but I genuinely don't see what the issue is?

He's supposedly one of the best young players in the world, Liverpool have seen an opportunity and gotten him in. Maybe Liverpool didn't want to take the risk of leaving it and letting others have a chance and fancied getting him now. If they can afford it (and it seems they can) why not?

Guest Howaythetoon

Anelka had the talent but not the right mentality. The very best players or those that do very well despite a modicrum of talent or ability all have an ultra competitiveness about them that when aligned with real ability, can propel anyone to great heights. Messi for example has the ability but he also has that competitiveness. Suarez has it. Shearer had it. Bellamy had it.

Anelka, Berbatov, Le Tissier etc. were all fantastic footballers, but they lack or lacked the aggressive competitive mentality of your Shearers, Messis, Ronaldos, Bellamys etc., players who when on the pitch show or showed just as much mental fortitude as ability.

And that's why he and those like him never quite fulfill their real true potential.

I fear Ben Arfa is similar in many ways

Youth product, a good player, club don't need the money.

1 year left on deal never played wanted to leave. Liverpool have been ripped off

You have to pay compensation for youth players who are out of contract so he'd never have been free and I'll pass judgement on 'ripped off' after I've seen what impact he has. He is supposed to be rather good I'm led to believe, he's an international after all.

Agree really, Liverpool might have overpaid but at least they have put the needs of their squad first. Compare that to how we conducted the Gomis non-transfer. Quibbled over paying  the agents fees and add-ons when it would still have amounted to less than his market value anyway.

Mike Ashley has trained you all well.

After starting the season with three wins they probably feel like they can make the top-4. Who cares if they overpaid by a few million? He's a good player and one that could be there for 8 or so good seasons.

Mike Ashley has trained you all well.

After starting the season with three wins they probably feel like they can make the top-4. Who cares if they overpaid by a few million? He's a good player and one that could be there for 8 or so good seasons.

Well, no.

If he is as good as people say (I've not seen him so couldn't comment) and continues to develop he'll be worth more anyway. My fear to Liverpool is that he is a lefty, as is Agger who is currently their best defender, so fitting him in might be problematic. Nice problem to have though.

Found the signing of the other youngster, Ilori?, more odd, given that he hasn't played much I think and they had less need.

Agger is 30 and quite injury-prone, Skrtel won't be there for long and Toure was a stopgap. Sakho will have time to integrate into the team, hopefully dislodging Toure, then Ilori will be his partner in a year or two. They have clearly planned ahead. They have completely turned over their squad in the past two years, it's brimming with young, talented players now; Coutinho, Sturridge, Suarez, Sakho, Mignolet and Henderson are a pretty good core to build around.

Liverpool are in damn good shape.

The spree towards the end of the window had me certain they were about to flip Suarez for some dinero.

But naaaaaw these cats are just straight balling.

They are going places. Keepign Suarez on top of all th moves they made is crazy.

Officially title contenders IMO.

The spree towards the end of the window had me certain they were about to flip Suarez for some dinero.

They are going places. Keepign Suarez on top of all th moves they made is crazy.

Title contenders :lol:

Do well get close to top 4.

Title contenders :lol:

Do well get close to top 4.

Do you like lots of money? Bet on Liverpool, but don't tell too many people.

Agger is 30 and quite injury-prone, Skrtel won't be there for long and Toure was a stopgap. Sakho will have time to integrate into the team, hopefully dislodging Toure, then Ilori will be his partner in a year or two. They have clearly planned ahead. They have completely turned over their squad in the past two years, it's brimming with young, talented players now; Coutinho, Sturridge, Suarez, Sakho, Mignolet and Henderson are a pretty good core to build around.

Back to being jealous of Liverpool, which is a lot less fun than laughing at them.

Who have they signed that has turned them into title contenders? Sakho?

They will do well to finish above Arsenal and Spurs.

I think their team will get out muscled and done in by wiley enough opponents but they will do very well this season, astute buys and I think Moses will be very good for them, as will Coutinho. I think they will be pushing for the top four most the season but will drop away a bit at the end, not sure enough of the team will be reliable season long performers.

Anelka had the talent but not the right mentality. The very best players or those that do very well despite a modicrum of talent or ability all have an ultra competitiveness about them that when aligned with real ability, can propel anyone to great heights. Messi for example has the ability but he also has that competitiveness. Suarez has it. Shearer had it. Bellamy had it.

Anelka, Berbatov, Le Tissier etc. were all fantastic footballers, but they lack or lacked the aggressive competitive mentality of your Shearers, Messis, Ronaldos, Bellamys etc., players who when on the pitch show or showed just as much mental fortitude as ability.

And that's why he and those like him never quite fulfill their real true potential.

Anelka was a much much better player than Bellamy. Or is that the point you're making?

Guest Howaythetoon

Anelka was a much much better player than Bellamy. Or is that the point you're making?

He was, but Bellamy had the better attitude when it came to playing. He was/still is ultra competitive, very single minded, driven and extremely hard working. That's why he has done exceptionally well in his career despite not having huge levels of ability or talent.

If Anelka had the same kind of attitude or mentality we would be talking about him as one of the best of his generation rather than an extremely talented and gifted journeyman who did well enough wherever he went which is exactly what he is today.

He was, but Bellamy had the better attitude when it came to playing. He was/still is ultra competitive, very single minded, driven and extremely hard working. That's why he has done exceptionally well in his career despite not having huge levels of ability or talent.

If Anelka had the same kind of attitude or mentality we would be talking about him as one of the best of his generation rather than an extremely talented and gifted journeyman who did well enough wherever he went which is exactly what he is today.

OK, agree with that. Anelka at Arsenal had the world at his feet.

Who have they signed that has turned them into title contenders? Sakho?

They will do well to finish above Arsenal and Spurs.

Agreed. They have improved but so has everyone else except Man Utd. who were miles ahead anyway. They are a good shout for the CL but any more? Nah. Mentality steps in and there's at least 3 clubs with better mental fortitude than them.

I've said it before - the top clubs who have made the most changes probably won't win the league.

Good summary on Anelka HTT. He's had a good career, won lots of trophies, been influential in a number of the trophies won, earned tons of money. But he could have been Thierry Henry - with all the individual accolades and records.

Even someone like Didier Drogba didn't turn it on all the time. But he clearly worked supremely hard at his game. Will go down as a legend at Chelsea and Ivory Coast.

Liverpool could be challenging for the title now imo if Dalglish hadn't set them back about 3 year with a crazy spending spree. If they had spent wisely then with Rodgers in charge at that time, they would be in much better shape than now. Rodgers has done well to remove a lot fo the deadwood and bring in his own bits of quality here and there but i can't help but think how much they were hindered under KG's reign. Rodgers has done extremely well in get a lot of the shit sold on and creating his football philosophy in the process, they are certainly a team going places again, holding on to Suarez was crucial.

Liverpool could be challenging for the title now imo if Dalglish hadn't set them back about 3 year with a crazy spending spree. If they had spent wisely then with Rodgers in charge at that time, they would be in much better shape than now. Rodgers has done well to remove a lot fo the deadwood and bring in his own bits of quality here and there but i can't help but think how much they were hindered under KG's reign. Rodgers has done extremely well in get a lot of the s*** sold on and creating his football philosophy in the process, they are certainly a team going places again, holding on to Suarez was crucial.

Not like they've spent wisely with Rodgers all the time though.

Liverpool could be challenging for the title now imo if Dalglish hadn't set them back about 3 year with a crazy spending spree. If they had spent wisely then with Rodgers in charge at that time, they would be in much better shape than now. Rodgers has done well to remove a lot fo the deadwood and bring in his own bits of quality here and there but i can't help but think how much they were hindered under KG's reign. Rodgers has done extremely well in get a lot of the s*** sold on and creating his football philosophy in the process, they are certainly a team going places again, holding on to Suarez was crucial.

Not like they've spent wisely with Rodgers all the time though.

No no not at all, however all managers are capable of throwing in a couple of dodgy signings that haven't paid off, just come to expect that but in general he has done very well in the transfer market with ins and outs and Liverpool are seeing the benefits of that.