Other clubs' transfers

TBG

:anguish:

Mind, it would be kinda sickly funny seeing Mercenary X, Y and Z f***ing off to China every transfer window. Suck it, Premier League.

Mercenary? LOL.

If someone's willing to double your wages for the same job - why wouldn't you do it? Especially once you've hit the pinnacle in your career.

International football will be the biggest hurdle imo. Difficult for the likes of Payet to get selected if he's in China.

Mind, it would be kinda sickly funny seeing Mercenary X, Y and Z f***ing off to China every transfer window. Suck it, Premier League.

Mercenary? LOL.

If someone's willing to double your wages for the same job - why wouldn't you do it? Especially once you've hit the pinnacle in your career.

International football will be the biggest hurdle imo. Difficult for the likes of Payet to get selected if he's in China.

"primarily concerned with making money at the expense of ethics"

inaccurate?

Mercenary? LOL.

"primarily concerned with making money at the expense of ethics"

inaccurate?

What's unethical about playing football in China that doesn't apply to any European or North American team?

:lol: Imagine being so arsed about earning more than £80grand a week that you'd f*** off top level football to play in that league. It's sheer and utter greed.

It's all relative - people almost always want to make more money. It's human nature, it just seems wrong when you want a raise to buy a 3rd house and a yacht instead of wanting a raise to be able to send your kid to college.

:lol: Imagine being so arsed about earning more than £80grand a week that you'd f*** off top level football to play in that league. It's sheer and utter greed.

It's all relative - people almost always want to make more money. It's human nature, it just seems wrong when you want a raise to buy a 3rd house and a yacht instead of wanting a raise to be able to send your kid to college.

I'm pretty sure you can do all of that on £80k a week as well.

FWIW, saw an interview with Ighalo the other week that he turned down £200k a week in China in the summer because he was happy to have fired Watford into the PL and wanted to stay. Signed a new contract worth £30k a week, seems to be able to survive on that somehow.

Mercenary? LOL.

Never got this argument when comparing footballers, to the general working public.  £40k to £80k a year, is huge.  A really big amount in the grand scheme of things.  £60k a week to £120k a week :lol: how rich do you need to be FFS?  You're already going to end up a multi-millionaire.  You can already buy most of the things that you want and need.

You're already going to be considerably, considerably richer than....... most of the planet's population.  So why jack in being a fans favourite, playing at the top level, to go and play in some joke of a league?  I'd like to think if I was in their position.  I'd be motivated by being successful and well paid.  But also playing on a regular basis, for a club where you are loved.  I don't get why such talented players, want to fuck off to the middle east or go and sit on the bench somewhere?  Just so they can go from very rich, to super rich.

I don't think, even in everyday life, that money is everything.  A guy I used to work with, has fucked off to a big multi-national.  He got a 50% pay rise, a better company car and a shit load of perks.  Yet he absolutely hates it, doesn't get on that well with the people he works with and says it is far more pressured. 

Money isn't everything.

I'm pretty sure you can do all of that on £80k a week as well.

Ok, then a fourth house and a second yacht - the items weren't the point. There are people in their circles who have more money and more things. First class is great until your buddy has a private jet or a helicopter, and then you wonder why that's not you. Plus they have a limited window to earn money.

Given the vast sums of money circulating in the game and the ridiculous wealth of the owners, I don't for one second begrudge the players (the ones who make the sport worth watching) earning what they do or wanting to be paid more when they've earned it. I agree though, I wouldn't go to China and play in that anonymous league just for cash.

Damn.  Just seen this.  You've nailed my TL;DR post, in one line :lol:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/01/10/article-2260386-16DCA922000005DC-657_634x376.jpg

It's deals like Alex Teixeira that piss me off. He was actively linked with Liverpool, almost certainly coming to England in the summer. Yet he impatiently chose China.

Maybe I'm just a purist but, if I had a choice between incredibly rich (in Premier League) vs super incredibly rich (in a Chinese retirement home), I'd pick the former. Does Teixeira not take pride in his career? Or think beyond 2 years?

It's a pointless rant, I know. Money wins.

They are even going to second division clubs now  :lol:

Sky Sports News HQ ‏@SkySportsNewsHQ 7m7 minutes ago

Sky Sources: West Ham striker Nikica Jelavic close to agreeing deal to join Chinese second division side Beijing Ren He #SSNHQ

Footballers have really short careers. I can't fault them for wanting to make the most of them, financially.

And if there's one thing we've learned from Goal!, they can be over before they've started!

That said, we also learned from Goal! that when you've fired a club into the Champions League you want to leave that club so you can play in the Champions League. #logic

This West Ham move was probably the first of Payet's career where he was earning absolutely loads and at 29 I can see why he would want to take the big wages of China for a few years just to make himself more secure financially because the chances are he'll never earn another cent after retiring at 34 or 35 with about 50 years of his life to go

It's deals like Alex Teixeira that piss me off. He was actively linked with Liverpool, almost certainly coming to England in the summer. Yet he impatiently chose China.

Maybe I'm just a purist but, if I had a choice between incredibly rich (in Premier League) vs super incredibly rich (in a Chinese retirement home), I'd pick the former. Does Teixeira not take pride in his career? Or think beyond 2 years?

Not sure how the situation is in Ukraine these days, but can't blame the lad for wanting out of what is/has been a war zone. Not that that probably has anything to do with his move like.

It's difficult for the average fan to comprehend a player choosing cash over level of competition. Important to keep in mind that, for many professional footballers, it's just a job: we often put more stock into glory and accomplishments than they do. They've always been good at it and probably enjoyed playing it growing up, so why not take a crack at it professionally? Especially for players coming from less developed countries, playing for a big club in Europe or in the CL isn't the end all, be all of football.

I don't begrudge any of these players choosing to follow the ridiculous cash thrown at them by Middle Eastern or Chinese clubs. Their careers will be short enough as it is and they want to maximize their earnings before retiring at quite a young age comparatively.