Other clubs' transfers

TBG

I don't think it should be difficult for anyone to understand the appeal of doubling your salary TBF.

Perhaps not, but I get it. If you're making $40K/year, there wouldn't seem to be much difference between a professional athlete making $40K/week and $80K/week. Because they "get to play a game" and make a lot of money for it. "Rich is rich," so players not content with that measly $2m/year are greedy for wanting more, particularly if they're already playing in a top competition (which often means more to fans than to players).

Payet wouldn't go from West Ham to China if they weren't offering him mental money, but he wouldn't go from Marseille to West Ham either if it wasn't for the fact his wage was being doubled. That's the fire you're playing with by signing mercenaries. Can't enjoy the advantages that globalisation as brought to the PL and then also whinge when that same globalisation plucks a player away.

I don't think it should be difficult for anyone to understand the appeal of doubling your salary TBF.

Agreed, the real issue for me is that they can earn this amount money in the first place. Obscene.

Very few would turn down such a ludicrously proportionate rise if offered it I'm sure. What needs fixing (somehow) is that the salaries themselves are so disgustingly disproportionate and over inflated.

Quite how this is achieved whilst football continues to spiral away, out of control and disengaged from all reality like it is, well that is beyond me.

Payet wouldn't go from West Ham to China if they weren't offering him mental money, but he wouldn't go from Marseille to West Ham either if it wasn't for the fact his wage was being doubled. That's the fire you're playing with by signing mercenaries. Can't enjoy the advantages that globalisation as brought to the PL and then also whinge when that same globalisation plucks a player away.

Bang on.

An extra 80k over 4 years is over £16m, perhaps on top of the £19m he's in line for now. Take a player like Payet - he's probably earned £16m in his career to this point. 

I've said this before.  But playing in the PL for West Ham or Liverpool means relatively little to someone from France and virtually nothing to someone from Brazil or Senegal.

I see nothing wrong with player salaries either.  If there's that much money in the game it should be the players that take the lionshare of it. The American system of wage caps only benefits already billionaire owners.

Aye, does nowt for equality in the league or owt like that.

Perhaps not, but I get it. If you're making $40K/year, there wouldn't seem to be much difference between a professional athlete making $40K/week and $80K/week. Because they "get to play a game" and make a lot of money for it. "Rich is rich," so players not content with that measly $2m/year are greedy for wanting more, particularly if they're already playing in a top competition (which often means more to fans than to players).

Exactly, it's a game. Play it wherever the money is best.

This seems a very snooty opinion on money.

I see nothing wrong with player salaries either.  If there's that much money in the game it should be the players that take the lionshare of it.  The American system of wage caps only benefits already billionaire owners.

I agree about players getting a big slice of the money that's in the game. I did find it a bit strange when clubs were getting themselves into serious financial trouble paying far more than they could afford though.

I see nothing wrong with player salaries either.  If there's that much money in the game it should be the players that take the lionshare of it.  The American system of wage caps only benefits already billionaire owners.

Agreed. Much better that the wealth is spread across a diverse group of hundreds (or thousands) than the same already super rich old, white men getting even more rich.

This idea that players in all professional sports are paid too much is really kind of silly. I presume you feel the same way about musicians and movie stars?

There's too much money in the game anyway though, the price of Sky/BT subscriptions and tickets etc is obscene. Agree that any money generated should go to those providing the entertainment and have always said that, but there's too much cash coming directly out of fans' pockets and also not enough of it going towards grass roots and development of English players.

There's too much money in the game anyway though, the price of Sky/BT subscriptions and tickets etc is obscene. Agree that any money generated should go to those providing the entertainment and have always said that, but there's too much cash coming directly out of fans' pockets and also not enough of it going towards grass roots and development of English players.

That's a bit different and I'm not really sure how you control that given all the factors at play. It's the most popular league of a global sport at a time when live content is more valuable than ever. Honestly, I think the ticket prices for Premier League matches are, on the whole, very reasonable. I'd be much angrier at the fact my cable TV subscription doesn't give me access to every game.

That's a bit different and I'm not really sure how you control that given all the factors at play. It's the most popular league of a global sport at a time when live content is more valuable than ever. Honestly, I think the ticket prices for Premier League matches are, on the whole, very reasonable. I'd be much angrier at the fact my cable TV subscription doesn't give me access to every game.

Average away ticket costs about 40 quid and I've paid 55 to go to Stamford Bridge, so I'm not sure I agree. That's without the outrageous prices for stuff in the ground. The subscription thing is the worst, fuck paying 100 quid a month to see games of Sky and BT's choosing, it's not very good value at all for the customer. If you were bang into it then you could be paying out a few grand a year of your post-tax earnings while average footballers are getting paid 100 grand a week these days. IMO this shouldn't be the case.

Average away ticket costs about 40 quid and I've paid 55 to go to Stamford Bridge, so I'm not sure I agree. That's without the outrageous prices for stuff in the ground. The subscription thing is the worst, f*** paying 100 quid a month to see games of Sky and BT's choosing, it's not very good value at all for the customer. If you were bang into it then you could be paying out a few grand a year of your post-tax earnings while average footballers are getting paid 100 grand a week these days. IMO this shouldn't be the case.

I should probably clarify that by reasonable I'm comparing to other major professional leagues (ie in the US). I've probably become numb to it all. It would be nice if ticket prices came down for all these leagues that just secured billions in TV money, but that's not going to happen.

It's the same with everything though - airlines could drop ticket prices with the current cost of fuel but instead they rake in billions in unexpected profits and watch their stocks soar.

Yeah I'm not saying it's specific to the Premier League, savings should be passed down to customers in every walk of life but then we're talking about my political views and I can't be arsed getting started [emoji38]

I see both sides, I'm just saying people seem to forget that the money is coming directly from supporters when having this conversation and there's far too much of it being taken imo. It's absolutely no wonder that so many people choose streaming games illegally these days, this is almost a carbon copy of what happened to the music industry when people started rightly feeling ripped off when faced with a free alternative.

Exactly, it's a game. Play it wherever the money is best.

This seems a very snooty opinion on money.

Huh? I'm fucking agreeing with you. :lol:

It takes not understanding football whatsoever to a whole new level not being able to comprehend why people have a problem with the Chinese stuff, so I for one am absolutely flabbergasted that TCD is putting this forward as his opinion.

£2m a year or fucking £8m a year, it's all mad money and you'd have to be an absolute moron to squander it. The argument about going where the money is holds absolutely no water with me and never will. Not at the levels we're talking. There is no comparison with real world jobs at all, these aren't people whose first concern is to make ends meet.

I understand the will to make more money, no matter what. Especially given such a short career.

However, if I was a well paid PL player, I would never even consider it, given the combination of a) being more than adequately funded with a PL wage, and b) wanting to enjoy my existence/career.

It takes not understanding football whatsoever to a whole new level not being able to comprehend why people have a problem with the Chinese stuff, so I for one am absolutely flabbergasted that TCD is putting this forward as his opinion.

£2m a year or fucking £8m a year, it's all mad money and you'd have to be an absolute moron to squander it. The argument about going where the money is holds absolutely no water with me and never will. Not at the levels we're talking. There is no comparison with real world jobs at all, these aren't people whose first concern is to make ends meet.

The majority of them stop earning totally at 35. The difference between 2m and 8m is huge when it comes to your children and grandchildren

The majority of them stop earning totally at 35. The difference between 2m and 8m is huge when it comes to your children and grandchildren

Well I completely disagree, given that I'm a normal person on a relatively normal wage and realise that £2m a year is a mad amount to stack up over 10 to 15 years and is more than enough to be very wealthy for pretty much as long as you like.

They can't even spend it all on sniffing coke out of strippers' arse cracks ffs, the argument holds no water.

Well I completely disagree, given that I'm a normal person on a relatively normal wage and realise that £2m a year is a mad amount to stack up over 10 to 15 years and is more than enough to be very wealthy for pretty much as long as you like.

They can't even spend it all on sniffing coke out of strippers' arse cracks ffs, the argument holds no water.

The majority of even good footballers don't get near 2m a year after tax for 10 to 15 years though. The players going to China are Africans or Brazilians mostly who will have earned relatively little to the big stars for most of their careers