Other clubs' transfers

TBG

A modern day professional footballer (even down to League 2 and most conference teams) will be earning enough money to comfortably live whilst saving for their future. There is simply no excuse for footballers losing their wealth other than pure greed and misadventure.

People forget that a lot of players from abroad will come from great povety and they are not only playing football for themselves but also their families. I have no issue with players moving for the best deal.

People also forget that a lot of players dont care about playing football, they do it because it is something they are good at and can earn them money. You dont get many footballers who 'play for the shirt', most are playing for their jobs.

If someone offered me £100k a year I would happily turn up for training every day and sit on the bench if I wasnt good enough.

Each to their own and players make decisions on what's important to them. If making as much money as humanly possibly is the priority then that's fair enough, good on them for being honest enough to admit it. Some players want to win things, play for the biggest (traditional) clubs in the most reputable leagues and perhaps be remembered for their contribution to the sport.

Nothing inherently wrong with putting money first but personally I'd want to have the best career possible and money wouldn't be the priority.

But for somebody like Jackson Martinez. He's 30 this year, had his big move to a top side like Atletico and it didn't work out. The Copa America has gone and the next World Cup is a few years off. The transfer window has closed and he's not getting games. If a team wants to treble his wages and make him the star player of the best team on a continent its a very difficult to offer to turn down.

But for somebody like Jackson Martinez. He's 30 this year, had his big move to a top side like Atletico and it didn't work out. The Copa America has gone and the next World Cup is a few years off. The transfer window has closed and he's not getting games. If a team wants to treble his wages and make him the star player of the best team on a continent its a very difficult to offer to turn down.

The age is the biggie obviously. If you're moving towards the latter stages of your career and you've only got 1, maybe 2 big contracts left to sign before you retire then I think it's absolutely fine to milk it and move for the money.

If I'm one of the best players in the premier league like Payet is, I'm not moving to the Chinese league for anything. Absolutely bloody ridiculous, sorry.

It will still be there for him at 35, not for quite as much money, but I'm sure it will be a very good amount. Absolute rubbish to go now.

Pretty much every player in the prem is on great money that sets them up for life man. I want to be in a league that is considered one of the best, and that everyone watches. My God ... Chinese league, are you kidding me?! Forget that man.

If I got offered £150k a week to play in some s*** league, that i'm going to dominate, or £50k for a Premier League club,  i'm moving to China like :lol:

giphy.gif

I'd take my 50k a week, thanks. Then at 35 will spend a few years in the states taking the piss in their league for another 50k a week. Then after that will get a job working with some youth academy for what £50k a year? What a hard knock life.

I'd take that over £150k from China so that at 35 I don't have to do anything else, but sit on my arse.

Goodness sake.

What is the actual point in someone in their late twenties playing for a midtable team in a good league in Europe in a club they have no attachment to, rather than going to China, apart from trying to impress their national team manager? Neither are very ambitious moves. Andre Ayew or Payet don't go to Swansea or West Ham because they have a better chance of winning stuff there, they go because they get to earn way more money at far less prestigious clubs than they were at, the exact same thing that's happening here

If I got offered £150k a week to play in some s*** league, that i'm going to dominate, or £50k for a Premier League club,  i'm moving to China like :lol:

giphy.gif

I'd take my 50k a week, thanks. Then at 35 will spend a few years in the states taking the piss in their league for another 50k a week. Then after that will get a job working with some youth academy for what £50k a year? What a hard knock life.

I'd take that over £150k from China so that at 35 I don't have to do anything else, but sit on my arse.

Goodness sake.

Every person in the world in not having the exact same goals in life shocker

What is the actual point in someone in their late twenties playing for a midtable team in a good league in Europe in a club they have no attachment to, rather than going to China, apart from trying to impress their national team manager? Neither are very ambitious moves. Andre Ayew or Payet don't go to Swansea or West Ham because they have a better chance of winning stuff there, they go because they get to earn way more money at far less prestigious clubs than they were at, the exact same thing that's happening here

So you think playing in the premier league has no pull?! Not having that. Even if it isn't the best one as many claim, it's certainly the most popular. I kow that as a fact for Africans in particular. Think that has more to do with it than the club's themelves.

I agree with TCD like. Players like Shaqiri joining clubs likes Stoke is down to the daft PL money and nothing more. You really think he cares about the prestige of the league that much that he would leave Inter and living in Milan to go and play with Walters, Whelan and Crouch in Stoke and try and finish mid table?

So you think playing in the premier league has no pull?! Not having that. Even if it isn't the best one as many claim, it's certainly the most popular. I kow that as a fact for Africans in particular. Think that has more to do with it than the club's themelves.

I think all things being equal Payet and Ayew would both rather play for Marseille than West Ham or Swansea. Ayew probably hadn't heard of Swansea a few years ago

I think all things being equal Payet and Ayew would both rather play for Marseille than West Ham or Swansea. Ayew probably hadn't heard of Swansea a few years ago

I can appreciate that. But it's still more money to play in a more popular league, so I think it's easier to justify the move.

However, I cannot get my mind around moving to the Chinese league, which is far lesser, even if it is for more money, especially when I am getting paid a really good amount as it is, and I am playing at a high level in the prem.

Shaqiri wasn't getting a game at his previous club dude.

Couldn't get a move to another CL club? Or another club with a rich history? Instead - he went to the only league that would match or perhaps exceed his wages. Unlikely to do anything at Stoke, no trophies probably, no Europe most seasons etc. upside is that he stays sharp for international football.