Other clubs' transfers

TBG

I still don't understand how Sky are making this work financially. :lol: Desperate for the bubble to burst.

I'm sure they're not, or if they are it's not going to last long. Stations over here that have overpaid for rights are really struggling. And NBC, who paid a billion for Premier League rights just had to start charging people $50 for games they already got.

Guest firetotheworks

I reckon these fees are about three times what I'd say would seem appropriate (whatever that means when we're talking about buying footballers). £24m for Coutinho, £25m for Lukaku, £18m for Walker seems alright; big money for top players but fair enough. It's just gone ballistic in the last year or so. [emoji38]

This market is mental.

£20m for Walker

£30m for Lukaku

£40m for Coutinho

In old money probably. There's nowhere to go with it. In the current market you'd be paying half a billion for Messi tbh.

Everton paid 28m for Lukaku 3 years ago and he's scored over 70 goals since then.

Fucking hell, aye. You've got a point.

No need to be so shocked m8

[emoji38] I was just surprised how out I was.

I still don't understand how Sky are making this work financially. :lol: Desperate for the bubble to burst.

£12bn in revenue and the pay about £1.4bn a year for PL rights.  They'll probably make that back through subscriptions and advertising revenue without too much difficulty.

As soon as the broadcasters balk at the costs Google, Facebook, Amazon, Apple, and Netflix and others will be stepping up and competing . The domestic rights may decrease or go flat at some point, but the global rights will pick up the slack.

It seems impossible prices will continue to rise at this rate but, unless you think millions of people around the world are gong to suddenly lose interest in the Premier League, this is likely the new normal for the foreseeable future*.

* barring a global economic recession, tech bubble bursting, advertising dollars vanishing, etc

Guest neesy111

Basically by destroying most other parts of their business and sports.  They can't afford the USPGA Golf and US Open tennis now, BBC and Eurosport have picked them up respectively and all budgets within Sky were slashed 35% in 2015/16.  Also they love raising the price 3-4% every year now.

Not many people watch it, but in Japan, the conventional satellite broadcaster who covered the PL has been down to two live and three delayed matches since last season. They used to have five live games. The new broadcaster of the five live games is a mobile app (!) that is much cheaper to use if you have a contract with one of the three big mobile phone networks. So PL is basically being used to get folks to switch their mobile over to that company.

Barca have had a 72m bid for Coutinho rejected apparently.

A way of trying to please Neymar I believe. They're extremely good friends apart from him obviously being a perfect player and who could hopefully replace Iniesta at some point.

Not many people watch it, but in Japan, the conventional satellite broadcaster who covered the PL has been down to two live and three delayed matches since last season. They used to have five live games. The new broadcaster of the five live games is a mobile app (!) that is much cheaper to use if you have a contract with one of the three big mobile phone networks. So PL is basically being used to get folks to switch their mobile over to that company.

We get every game live here with options to watch again later if you want for about £3 a month.  That's through China Telecom IPTV which most people seem to have (anywhere even mildly built up, anyway).  Maybe state owned monopolies aren't so bad after all :lol:

I used to pay the equivalent of £20 to get the football on Sky Perfect TV. Shame it's seemingly gone downhill.

Guest neesy111

Neymar will quit Barca imo.  The dodgy tax issue may come back anytime and it's better for Neymar to quit this country asap.

He'll have to leave europe alltogether if he wants to avoid it.

Neymar will quit Barca imo.  The dodgy tax issue may come back anytime and it's better for Neymar to quit this country asap.

Practically it's Spains tax authority that is most harsh/aggressive in digging out these kinda agreements though.  And to make it worse, Neymars tax profile is already bad enough due to his transfer. 

Another reason could be the political weather getting worse and worse.  Isn't an independence referendum coming soon?

Guest neesy111

Practically it's Spains tax authority that is most harsh/aggressive in digging out these kinda agreements though.  And to make it worse, Neymars tax profile is already bad enough due to his transfer. 

Another reason could be the political weather getting worse and worse.  Isn't an independence referendum coming soon?

Yes, but if he wants to avoid going back to Spain to answer the charges he'll need to leave europe alltogether.  Sanchez is having to go back to Barcelona for his tax trial while at Arsenal.

Could probably call 2 of them a success? (Ba & Sakho (and even he's been on a serious wane))

Carroll cost a lot, been injured a lot but he's a decent striker.

Still scored 3 more goals for us then he has for them.