Other clubs' transfers

TBG

It feels like the same MLS at PPL Park.

Yes, we know you're hopelessly pessimistic about MLS.

I'd be a lot more optimistic if they didn't charge $10 for a fried potato and $11 for bud light. If they're going to charge premium prices, they should consider putting on something better than Conference football.

I'd also appreciate it if they stopped lying about the attendances too.

Sounds about the going rate for concessions in any professional American sports league. They overcharge because they have a monopoly within the park and they know people will pay for their shit. Don't like the price, don't buy anything.

Attendance figures relative to other leagues are perhaps misleading, but that's hardly lying.

"I'm sorry, Rio is it? But what exactly do you feel you can bring to this fine club, the Portland Timbers?"

Don't slag off Portland Timbers, man! They have a bloke that cuts bits off a tree trunk behind the goal each time they score, maintaining that long-held tradition from when the FA laid down the laws of association football.

I'd be a lot more optimistic if they didn't charge $10 for a fried potato and $11 for bud light. If they're going to charge premium prices, they should consider putting on something better than Conference football.

Sounds about the going rate for concessions in any professional American sports league. They overcharge because they have a monopoly within the park and they know people will pay for their shit. Don't like the price, don't buy anything.

Attendance figures relative to other leagues are perhaps misleading, but that's hardly lying.

The concessions prices (along with the ticket prices) are bullshit because they want this team/league to grow, and they immediately take the piss. You go to a shit quality sporting event, but you deal with the shitness because it feels like you're part of it all, part of the growth of a team. It's a lot harder to feel like you're part of it, when they're openly taking the piss out of you with the merch/food/tickets/SUPERRAFFLE/mega-package where you get to meet Freddy fucking Adu.

Regarding the attendances - it's lying when they tell me a game is a sellout and I'm sat there with rows of empty seats surrounding me. I'm sure they technically find a way of selling/burning the tickets for those seats, but either way, it's lying in my book.

The irony of people constantly bitching and moaning about the injustices of European football while simultaneously slagging off a league that is competitive from top to bottom, extraordinarily well-run, and one of the fastest growing leagues in the world.

The irony of people constantly bitching and moaning about the injustices of European football while simultaneously slagging off a league that is competitive from top to bottom, extraordinarily well-run, and one of the fastest growing leagues in the world.

The quality isn't there though. And with regards to growth, what European leagues can grow so to speak? They're already established.

Man up Yank boy!

I'm sure the season only ended yesterday, like. Transfers?! What's going on? :lol:

Meanwhile we will go into the middle of August haggling over a few thousand pound.

The concessions prices (along with the ticket prices) are bullshit because they want this team/league to grow, and they immediately take the piss. You go to a shit quality sporting event, but you deal with the shitness because it feels like you're part of it all, part of the growth of a team. It's a lot harder to feel like you're part of it, when they're openly taking the piss out of you with the merch/food/tickets/SUPERRAFFLE/mega-package where you get to meet Freddy fucking Adu.

Regarding the attendances - it's lying when they tell me a game is a sellout and I'm sat there with rows of empty seats surrounding me. I'm sure they technically find a way of selling/burning the tickets for those seats, but either way, it's lying in my book.

To be a top league, you have to act like one. Even if you're not quite there yet. You would still mock the league if they played in NFL stadiums and had the players' moms manning the concession stands. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I don't think MLS is particularly suited for Rio at this point. For all its faults in terms of quality of play, it's at least full of athletic players, not quite Rio's strong point right now. Clubs would want him, and he'd probably do fine, but there are many other washed up internationals that the league would want more than Ferdinand.

"I'm sorry, Rio is it? But what exactly do you feel you can bring to this fine club, the Portland Timbers?"

Don't slag off Portland Timbers, man! They have a bloke that cuts bits off a tree trunk behind the goal each time they score, maintaining that long-held tradition from when the FA laid down the laws of association football.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Fucking hell, just googled this, absolutely creased.

'PORTLAND TIMBERS CUT THAT WOOD'

Wait, you're doing just that in the Pardew thread at the same time as making this argument? :lol:

The quality isn't there though. And with regards to growth, what European leagues can grow so to speak? They're already established.

It might just crack the top 20 of European leagues in terms of quality. So yeah, it's not all there yet. Doesn't mean the games aren't entertaining and filled with talented players. I'd much rather watch a Seattle-Portland game than some of the fare served-up in the Premier League this season, including many of our own matches.

Wait, you're doing just that in the Pardew thread at the same time as making this argument? :lol:

Except I'm not also slagging off MLS...

It might just crack the top 20 of European leagues in terms of quality. So yeah, it's not all there yet. Doesn't mean the games aren't entertaining and filled with talented players. I'd much rather watch a Seattle-Portland game than some of the fare served-up in the Premier League this season, including many of our own matches.

I'd expect it to crack the top 20, given that the bottom of such a list would be the likes of the League of Ireland or Lithuania or some crap. There might be the odd talented player, but the games and highlights I've seen on BT Sport have been poor.

Utterly absurd to think any MLS club would turn down the opportunity to take Rio Ferdinand for even just a season. His presence would aid the development of others.

Except I'm not also slagging off MLS...

Fair enough. Found it funny you would call people out doing this while actually only being one of two involved in a parallel discussion using that very same argument.

Fastest growing league that might crack the top 20 in Europe, making it possibly cracking the top 25 in the world? How fast must it grow before you can enjoy genuine quality in that league for you not to die before?

I'd expect it to crack the top 20, given that the bottom of such a list would be the likes of the League of Ireland or Lithuania or some crap. There might be the odd talented player, but the games and highlights I've seen on BT Sport have been poor.

Utterly absurd to think any MLS club would turn down the opportunity to take Rio Ferdinand for even just a season. His presence would aid the development of others.

I'd be all for him coming over as a coach.  :coolsmiley:

The best thing for young MLS CBs is to be playing matches, not sitting on the bench while 35-year old Rio Ferdinand takes their place on the field.

They could learn an awful lot playing alongside a 35 year old Rio Ferdinand, mind.

:thup: No doubt about it. Especially central defenders need to learn, young player coming right out of college would learn massively of playing alongside someone like him.

Fastest growing league that might crack the top 20 in Europe, making it possibly cracking the top 25 in the world? How fast must it grow before you can enjoy genuine quality in that league for you not to die before?

As soon as wages start rising and TV revenue starts flowing (and just today, MLS signed a major U.S. TV deal), it'll kick into overdrive. It'll never be on the same level as the Premier League, or La Liga, or Bundesliga. But an MLS on par with the Portuguese or Russian leagues isn't out of the question in the next 20 years.