Adam Armstrong

Guest palnese

Called it from day one that I didn't think he would make it for us, granted based on very little but you get a sense of a player even based off small amounts of appearances, I know hes only had a bit of time here and there but hasn't done one thing that's been impressive in a black and white shirt.

Will end up at a league one team or a poor championship striker once we ship him out.

He's a top of a league one striker already as a teenager, no way he doesn't at least become a very good championship striker in the next 5 years.

Whether he becomes real premiership quality is anyone's guess, but he's built himself a real base to build on, something say Adam Campbell never did.

We can always see how he is for six months and then loan him out. There's no rush.

Loan him out first and let him find his feet in the division at someone else's expense. Then if he's done well in Jan bring him back and get him some starts in s black and white shirt.

A case of fans wanting local players to go well. We have seen it loads of times before with players who aren't good enough. Adam Campbell was the next Michael Owen

Adam Campbell was never the best striker in League One.

Some people seem to go out of their way to talk down local players, as if it proves what a detached and rational fan they are.

Armstrong scored 20 goals in League One at the age of 18 - it's just so clearly moronic to write someone off immediately following that.

A case of fans wanting local players to go well. We have seen it loads of times before with players who aren't good enough. Adam Campbell was the next Michael Owen

Some people seem to go out of their way to talk down local players, as if it proves what a detached and rational fan they are.

Armstrong scored 20 goals in League One at the age of 18 - it's just so clearly moronic to write someone off immediately following that.

This, I couldn't care where he comes from I still wouldn't write a player off at that age. Not every player is a Rooney or a Shearer at that age and the fact he scored so many different types of goals at 18 shows there is something there.

We have to try and develop our players and not just write them off. You only have to look at the league last season to see players at 25 or older that dropped to non-league because someone thought they weren't good enough.

If by 22 he isn't a regular we should dump him but not at 19

i'm not writing him off.............he's just not very good

Armstrong wasn't the best striker in league one either. Probably 4th or 5th.

All opinions, but he was in the PFA League 1 team of the season.

Of course it's about opinions, but I doubt the people making the claim watched league one football every week. I did.

Of course it's about opinions, but I doubt the people making the claim watched league one football every week. I did.

The people that select the PFA teams of the year?

I mean on here. Or are people basing their opinion on how good our players are based on other people's votes?

I like his playing style, really want him to succeed, but he's no better than Paddy Madden at Scunny who is never going to make it at a higher level.

I mean on here. Or are people basing their opinion on how good our players are based on other people's votes?

I like his playing style, really want him to succeed, but he's no better than Paddy Madden at Scunny who is never going to make it at a higher level.

In fairness Paddy Madden wasn't banging in 20 goals in League One until he hit 23. Armstrong has just done that at 18.

In fairness Paddy Madden wasn't banging in 20 goals in League One until he hit 23. Armstrong has just done that at 18.

That's a fair point, but my original point was that he wasn't the best striker in league one last season.

Exactly, in his first full season too . Armstrong will be a special player in the future based on the five or six times I saw him last season.

Wonder if Rafa has made a decision on him yet, assuming we do sign another striker it's best he goes out on loan.  He needs consistent games which it doesn't look like he will get here.

He needs the right development. He's still learning just like a lot of our players.

I refuse to write off any of our players who haven't been given a fair chance.

You can't expect to drop a player into a shit heap and suddenly expect the team to be Barcelona.. judge the players when they've had a run at it while the team is doing better.

Wonder if Rafa has made a decision on him yet, assuming we do sign another striker it's best he goes out on loan.  He needs consistent games which it doesn't look like he will get here.

It is a tough one. I want him to get chances and develop, but the idea of an lengthy injury to Gayle worries me. I know we should expect Perez and Mitrovic to get 15+ each at this level, but they still need to prove they can do it.

The safest but more expensive option is to loan him out for another season and sign another proven scorer at this level, like McCormack (although he seems Norwich bound).

Has done alright in a short career despite shambolic coaching and limited chances. Seems like he's been around for ages so people forget he's only 19. Hope he gets a decent chance over the next season under Rafa

19 year old kid raised under Pardew and Carver bangs in 20 goals for a mid-table League One side and people are writing him off. :lol:

He might not be quite ready for our first team but how you can definitely say he won't be any good is fucking ludicrous. Brain surgeons we have on this forum.

If we're not willing to give Armstrong a proper chance this season it's hard to see us ever giving him an opportunity should we return to the Premier League. What would it take? A record number of goals on loan somewhere in the Championship? A sudden growth spurt and a junkie's appetite for weights? There will always be an excuse, a reason to take a safety-first approach by signing someone more proven. Loan spells are often poor judges, and given that Armstrong made the best of his experience last year - and that we're the overwhelming favourites now only one league further up - he deserves a chance in a settled environment and should be shown a little faith.

If we're not willing to give Armstrong a proper chance this season it's hard to see us ever giving him an opportunity should we return to the Premier League. What would it take? A record number of goals on loan somewhere in the Championship? A sudden growth spurt and a junkie's appetite for weights? There will always be an excuse, a reason to take a safety-first approach by signing someone more proven. Loan spells are often poor judges, and given that Armstrong made the best of his experience last year - and that we're the overwhelming favourites now only one league further up - he deserves a chance in a settled environment and should be shown a little faith.

:thup: