Adam Armstrong

Guest palnese

His second goal (I think) was an absolutely crushing finish like. He still looks like an u16s player playing with the grown ups, but he's doing the business like. We should let him leave to Southampton when they go down, for him then to sign for Blackburn, win the league with them and make his way back here afterwards. Seems to work a treat.

• 4 weeks later...

You would think that after 2 successful loans in League One (Coventry, Blackburn) and 2 unsuccessful loans in the Championship (Barnsley, Bolton) that his level was around third tier, but he was played out wide a lot at Bolton and was in struggling sides both times. I'd like him to have one final season on loan next year to a Championship team, ideally one that's not just based upon surviving, and then assess where he is and where he is likely to end up. Blackburn may be a good option as with the likes of Dack, Mulgrew, Bennett and Graham they do have some decent players and I think they could be a bit like Sheff U next year and push towards the top half.

Hope the lad has a good career, even if it is not here.

He literally scored Barnsleys goal of the season whilst in the championship. The fact he takes the piss out of L1 defences shows he SHOULD be a capable midtable championship poacher at the very least. Not drossing around for relegation fodder on the wings.

The problem is going from top of League One to bottom of the Championship might be a fairly incremental and reasonable step up for a young player to make on the face of it, but in reality it's quite difficult due to the circumstances. Particularly for a diminutive striker. You're going from a team who's going to dominate most games and make loads of chances to a side that's going to be packing the defence and probably shunt you onto the wing.

The problem is going from top of League One to bottom of the Championship might be a fairly incremental and reasonable step up for a young player to make on the face of it, but in reality it's quite difficult due to the circumstances. Particularly for a diminutive striker. You're going from a team who's going to dominate most games and make loads of chances to a side that's going to be packing the defence and probably shunt you onto the wing.

I think recent history shows that by and large, League one promotees do OK in their following season.

The problem a young lad on loan often has is getting the trust of the team to include him and 'play him in'. I agree with a previous poster that said him sticking with Blackburn for next season if they go up would be a good thing as they already know and now trust him to deliver.

• 1 month later...

Adam Armstrong made his England under-21s debut on Saturday.

And the Newcastle striker set up the winning goal for Tammy Abraham as England left it late to claim victory against China.

In the opening game of the Young Lions' Maurice Revello Toulon Tournament campaign, Middlesbrough defender Dael Fry had cancelled out Yan Dinghao’s first-half header.

And in the 89th minute, Armstrong centred for Abraham to net the winner. Both Armstrong and his United team-mate Freddie Woodman played the whole game.

Meanwhile, Adam Wilson started for England under-18s as they finished the Panda Cup with victory over Hungary under-19s on Sunday.

He played for the opening 45 minutes, having been an unused substitute in a 1-0 loss to hosts China under-19s on Friday. Winger Wilson appeared as a late substitute in their tournament opener, a 2-2 draw against Uruguay last Wednesday.

Perhaps he still has a future here, sounds like he's played really well at the tournament. I've changed my mind I wouldn't sell just yet, I would probably give him 1/2 a season as back up, if he's not getting the game time, or not impressing loan him out to a champo club in January.

What he doesn't need at this stage is another Sunderland level league loan, he's proved himself more than good enough for that level.

England player of the tournament so far apparently.

Think he is in the Mitro camp of not being rated by Rafa. Interested to see where he ends up. Looks great in League One but never hit the ground running in the same way in the Championship.

Should give him another loan to Blackburn. Knows the squad, manager, system this time so won't be going in blind. If he has a good season next year at Championship level then he may have a shot.

He needs a good 15 goals in the championship over a season to have any chance of making it with us. Going back to Blackburn would be ideal.

• 1 month later...