Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For me Colback doesn't look half the player Guthrie did and considering the later is struggling in the Championship it's a massive worry. It's hard to say what his role actually is. He isn't particularly creative, he seems miles away from players when closing down and he gets bullied in a defensive capacity. For all Anita has his critics on here, he was always snapping around the Man U players' heels yesterday trying to make tackles and interceptions, Colback seemed miles off the pace.

If our aim is top 10 we're really going to struggle carrying a player in such an important position.

For me Colback doesn't look half the player Guthrie did and considering the later is struggling in the Championship it's a massive worry. It's hard to say what his role actually is. He isn't particularly creative, he seems miles away from players when closing down and he gets bullied in a defensive capacity. For all Anita has his critics on here, he was always snapping around the Man U players' heels yesterday trying to make tackles and interceptions, Colback seemed miles off the pace.

If our aim is top 10 we're really going to struggle carrying a player in such an important position.

Well said. You can't tell if he's on form or off form, because he's the kind of player that does absolutely nothing of note. Maybe he'll never really be off form precisely because what he does is extremely basic. I don't mind that in its essence, as long as this basic stuff actually contributes to getting positive results. At the moment it's a total waste of a shirt apart from a couple of last ditch tackles.

I think Anita and Colback are as bad as each other. Anita is a bit better on the ball which makes him more popular on the forums, but is anonymous without possession 9 games out of ten.

In comparison Colback is defensively more noticeable in that he will press, harry and get some blocks and tackles in, but can't pass for shit. However that defensive presence, over Anita makes him seem less anonymous and is therefore more popular with the man on the street.

I know some say we need new defenders, others say we need a striker or winger. Both are wrong, we need one more central midfielder.

I think Anita and Colback are as bad as each other. Anita is a bit better on the ball which makes him more popular on the forums, but is anonymous without possession 9 games out of ten.

In comparison Colback is defensively more noticeable in that he will press, harry and get some blocks and tackles in, but can't pass for s***. However that defensive presence, over Anita makes him seem less anonymous and is therefore more popular with the man on the street.

I know some say we need new defenders, others say we need a striker or winger. Both are wrong, we need one more central midfielder.

They're not wrong...

long term we need both.

In comparison Colback is defensively more noticeable in that he will press, harry and get some blocks and tackles in, but can't pass for s***. However that defensive presence, over Anita makes him seem less anonymous and is therefore more popular with the man on the street.

They're not wrong...

long term we need both.

Long term you could argue we need players for every position.

But if we have only one signing left this summer it needs to be a new CM

They're not wrong...

long term we need both.

[/quo

They're not wrong...

long term we need both.

nah, you've got wini and sissoko who can drop in. if we lose a centre half we're Fucked.

They're not wrong...

long term we need both.

o

They're not wrong...

long term we need both.

nah, you've got wini and sissoko who can drop in. if we lose a centre half we're Fucked.

Don't think they complement each other at all as pure central midfielders. So we need to drop one back and sign someone else to play alongside them, getting rid of both shithouses, not just one of them.

It's like playing with 9 players at the moment.

In comparison Colback is defensively more noticeable in that he will press, harry and get some blocks and tackles in, but can't pass for shit. However that defensive presence, over Anita makes him seem less anonymous and is therefore more popular with the man on the street.

Hilarious stuff, Anita is considerably better at putting in a tackle and winning the ball imo. He generally just does it staying on his feet rather than a full blooded good old inglish tackle.

Colback offers nothing defensively that Anita doesn't, he's all bluster.

They're not wrong...

long term we need both.

o

They're not wrong...

long term we need both.

nah, you've got wini and sissoko who can drop in. if we lose a centre half we're f***ed.

Don't think they complement each other at all as pure central midfielders. So we need to drop one back and sign someone else to play alongside them, getting rid of both shithouses, not just one of them.

It's like playing with 9 players at the moment.

:lol:

Well said. You can't tell if he's on form or off form, because he's the kind of player that does absolutely nothing of note. Maybe he'll never really be off form precisely because what he does is extremely basic. I don't mind that in its essence, as long as this basic stuff actually contributes to getting positive results. At the moment it's a total waste of a shirt apart from a couple of last ditch tackles.

It's funny (weird not ha,ha) how once formed, a strong opinion doesn't really need much evidence to keep,it going, just about anything that happens can be grist for the mill. A crucial (and brave) challenge in the box becomes  the risky action of a liability. A cracking pass just highlights the 'fact' he 'never' does this. I think Guthrie  was better, and he's struggliing in the championship  (well there you go then.' No arguing with that....) becomes evidence that we're evidently playing with 9 men.... You get the picture.  It is great to see the passion and desire our team produces. And we all want the same thing, if we didn't care no one would get hot and bothered about their favoured scapegoat. However, it is naive, disrespectful (to the shirt holder)and on occasion to others who have to suffer the continual negativity, and just plain dodgy reasoning, to not be aware of your own bias. Jack Colback, and Vurnon Anita, for that matter, have been asked to play roles which are not the most attention grabbing/ swashbuckling or creative.  Search for some comparative facts, thing you'll have to entertain the idea that they are both quite good at it. The former has around 130 top flight games under his belt, was called up 12 months ago for the full national team. Scored 4 and assisted half a dozen goals last year, a season  in which his willingness to dig-in and keep going/pulled us out of the s**t on a number of occasions. The latter has just been called up to his national team. If you set your mind against them, you'll continue to see evidence to support their 'evident inadequacy'. Give the lads a break, even thought the shirt's still emblazened with the stamp of shame, it is still the shirt; please show the lads wearing it and doing their best for it, the respect they deserve.

Well, he's better than most football players on the planet. But since he's a professional and playing in the premier league, he has to come up to a higher standard. And he usually plays badly, so he's going to get criticised.

I don't think it's biased to form an opinion on a player by watching him. What else are fans meant to do?

Regardless of whether you think some of the criticism is unfair you cannot look at Jack Colback and Vurnon Anita as a pairing and think it's fine for this league?

Anita looked good at times in a three the season before last. I'm not convinced Colback would have looked any better than he currently is in that same midfield due to his lack of ability and mobility.

I'd like to thnk that when the easier fixtures come around he won't feel the need to have 2 sitting in there and could play the 1. You could still play Sissoko and Wijnaldum advanced on that, wingers on the wing and Mitrovic to hold it up. Horses for courses.

Regardless of whether you think some of the criticism is unfair you cannot look at Jack Colback and Vurnon Anita as a pairing and think it's fine for this league?

I think it SMc's  call to choose the formation, if he is going to persist with a 4231, then I think Anita and Colback are the obvious '2' with Tiote as another option. Is this the best formation, for us, in general. I don't know; a lot seem to be playing it now. He changed this yesterday though, the actual tactical jiggery-pokery was beyond me as watching on TV, not at ground (which, depending on your seat, IMO gives you a much better appreciation of what we're trying to do tactically -- with and without the ball). I'm not against fans criticizing or disliking/preferring certain players, that would be madness. I'm just saying keep some perspective, monitor what you're saying to yourself, remember you are a 'supporter...' .

f*** that :lol: if a player is s*** or a manager makes the wrong decision i'll say so. That's not being a supporter, that's being a sheep.

What would need to happen for you to change your opinion of somebody being s***? Not being a sheep, great. But that means not being a ewe or a ram, I.e. Keep battering your heed against something irrespective of how useful it is to do so. And the manager being 'wrong' thing, tricky one also. Overconfidence in their beliefs rings a death knell for failing managers, but at least they ...  mostly ... have some basis to be confident in their beliefs. Every f**ker has a strong opinion about their  football team. What differentiates Terry Venables from Terry  F**kwit, IMO, is a bit of perspective  and balance in the way the views are shared.