Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

No way. My memory of Alan Smith is chasing shadows and cropping people of any league he played in after his injury. A triumvate in midfield of Nolan, Barton and Jonas (Enrique in support) with Colocini at the back meant the likes of Smith flattered to deceive. Complete passenger yet people roared his crunching tackles despite bugger all else.

He wasn't bad in the Championship at all. It was just his level at that time in his career. After we got promoted he never really played after we signed Tiote.

No way. My memory of Alan Smith is chasing shadows and cropping people of any league he played in after his injury. A triumvate in midfield of Nolan, Barton and Jonas (Enrique in support) with Colocini at the back meant the likes of Smith flattered to deceive. Complete passenger yet people roared his crunching tackles despite bugger all else.

He wasn't bad in the Championship at all. It was just his level at that time in his career. After we got promoted he never really played after we signed Tiote.

He was shit, our season was massively better once Guthrie took his place in the side.

It's endemic. If you're a Geordie especially and you throw yourself about like an idiot and little else that constitutes graft and understanding the physicality of the league. Forget creativity or being able to keep up. No doubt the same t***s who thought Alan Smith was crucial in getting us promoted.

Wow, bit of a short term memory have we? Alan Smith was decent in the Championship in our team and filled a role that let the rest of the team play.

If ever there was a :dowie: needed, it's in response to that post.

He was s***, our season was massively better once Guthrie took his place in the side.

He really wasn't. Just because he was shit at all other times he played for us it doesn't mean he was in the championship chrissake :lol: the revisionism is astounding on this board.

He was s***, our season was massively better once Guthrie took his place in the side.

He really wasn't. Just because he was s*** at all other times he played for us it doesn't mean he was in the championship chrissake :lol: the revisionism is astounding on this board.

What was it that he actually did that placed him a level above shitness? My memory of him was being horrible on the ball and even worse off it, lunging into tackles and picking up bookings regularly.

You're the one revising history.

So before you get in and admin revise it, I'll quote from his thread of that season.

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,65438.msg2051268.html#msg2051268

Of course there are a few counterpoints in the 4-page thread, regardless, he didn't have a shit season.

Was the most hated player we've had in years for 2 seasons, booed regularly before games. Got to give the bloke credit. That is all.

never hated him personally and tis great to see him do well as hes always been a player i'd hope would do well

I'm glad he's coming good for us. You can't doubt his effort.

Not the greatest player in the world but can't fault the lad's effort at the minute, keep it up.

He isn't a liability in central midfield. He deserves credit for that.

Would have never thought he'd end up as our holding midfield player. Fair play to him though, puts the effort in and has certainly been one of our best players this season.

After that injury it is hard to imagin he goes in for all those hard tackle.. I was one of his critics but he won me over this time around. Well Done....

A f***ing beast in the midfield, i honestly think players are starting to get scared from going near him and trying to play away from him, really good yesterday.

The game is too fast for him in Prem I think, good player at the moment mainly because we've dropped down a level.

Smith's found his level in the Championship. I've been very impressed with him to be fair, but if we're promoted he needs to move on to another Championship club, he can't cut it in the Prem.

The Alan Smith Guide to Popularity:

a) accept pass from teammate

b) immediately lose ball due to having a touch like a trampoline

c) attempt lunging tackle to win ball back

d) give opposition a throw in if lucky, free kick if not so lucky

e) accept rapturous applause/yellow card

f) repeat

I think that's an incredibly harsh assessment of a player who is doing very well for us.

is a harsh assessment but he is not doing very well for us either .

What exactly are people expecting from the guy? He's leading the team, putting in a fair amount of ball winning tackles, he's giving good protection to the back four and just keeps the midfield ticking over, he never billed himself as anything more.

Smith is far better than Butt. Butt had a decent game for his standards yesterday, but still had dangerous moments of giving the ball away.

None of our players did much going fowards, thats why the entire game was long ball. You can hardly put that on smith. We're playing with 1 big man upfront being marked by two sometimes, with Nolan in midfield most of the time apart for goalkicks.  Hardly the game for through balls. Anyway Smith suits his role, its down to Hughton to play Guthrie for the more advanced play. Not smith to do it if Butts shoved on to.

I'm not debating that he's a shit footballer, but in that team in that season, he wasn't as glaringly bad as some people are making him out to be now. I won't take one or two dismissals of the player by one or two members vs the 10 or so above as supporting the fact he was playing shit either :lol: Yes we had better options, but he kinda just faded away and wasn't picked again (rightfully). Perhaps it's just a matter of defining shit, but at the time he was a marked improvement on Nicky Butt and he was far from an embarrassment in the shirt.

I don't even know why I'm sticking up for the player, I loathed him.

Guest firetotheworks

Smith was fucking terrible in the Championship. :lol: I remember thinking we'd win the league when we played Swansea away and we were absolutely shit with him and Butt in midfield and still somehow won.

We won the league at a canter because Guthrie moved into the middle from the right and because we signed Routledge.