Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I thought he was a decent player at Sunderland and he's surprised me of how much he has to his game but he's a million miles away from international standard. Or rather, he should be miles away from international standard and we should have far better players at our disposal.

I thought he was a decent player at Sunderland and he's surprised me of how much he has to his game but he's a million miles away from international standard. Or rather, he should be miles away from international standard and we should have far better players at our disposal.

I don't think I'm being pedantic in asking, what is international standard? Our current international standard is getting outplayed by any good team and struggling to beat any other team bar minnows.

This is what happens when you leave the mackems.

This is true.

Bent was averaging about 1 in 2 for us and barely got a look in til he moved to Villa.

Based on form alone Cattermole is ahead of Colback at the minute.

Cattermole?  Surely if you are going to nominate a Sunderland player it would be Rodwell?

Cattermole's performance against MU last weekend was a pretty good demonstration of how good a defensive midfielder he can be. Better than anything I've seen from Tiote over 90 minutes.

Lol, I take it you forgot how Tiote beasted Man-U in the 3-0?

This is true.

Bent was averaging about 1 in 2 for us and barely got a look in til he moved to Villa.

Cattermole?  Surely if you are going to nominate a Sunderland player it would be Rodwell?

2 games I've seen us play this season, Cattermole has been better than Rodwell.

I'd rather players got picked on merit.

At the minute it just tells any English player we try and sign, go somewhere else,  you'll be nowhere near the squad if you sign for Sunderland.

I just looked at the players with the most red cards in the Premier League.  Everyone else on the list is either retired or in their 30s.  Cattermole is one away from the record (held by Vieira, Big Dunc and Dunne), and equal with Roy Keane.  He's what, 25 or 26?  That's a huge reason not to put him in your squad

That and he is a shit footballer

This is true.

At the minute it just tells any English player we try and sign, go somewhere else,  you'll be nowhere near the squad if you sign for Sunderland.

Merit is 2 games?  Ok then.

Cattermole's performance against MU last weekend was a pretty good demonstration of how good a defensive midfielder he can be. Better than anything I've seen from Tiote over 90 minutes.

Tiote vs Manure in that 3-0 win was one of the best defensive midfield performances i've seen in my life.

This is true.

Seems as though that's what Colbacks call up is based on...

If we go off the back end of last season. Rodwell wasn't playing but Cattermole was miles ahead of Colback.

This is true.

If we go off the back end of last season. Rodwell wasn't playing but Cattermole was miles ahead of Colback.

Ahead of him for tackling maybe. As a footballer Colback's far superior.

I don't think I'm being pedantic in asking, what is international standard? Our current international standard is getting outplayed by any good team and struggling to beat any other team bar minnows.

This is the thing. Particularly in midfield, England have been really poor. The Lampard and Gerrard thing was just tragic. All those years and no one figured out how to make it work.

I don't know really, the current options are threadbare ... Milner should definitely be in midfield for England at this point. Looked so good there at Villa.

This is true.

I would disagree. I'd say Cattermole's footballing ability is underrated particularly as the disciplinary stuff cloud's people's judgements. He's always going to be viewed as a 'clogger'.

He's a much better footballer than he's given credit for.

This is true.

I would disagree. I'd say Cattermole's footballing ability is underrated particularly as the disciplinary stuff cloud's people's judgements. He's always going to be viewed as a 'clogger'.

Perhaps his footballing ability is underrated, but can he really use the ball as well as Colback? I don't think so and neither does Hodgson.

Whenever I watched them last season, Colback was always far superior to Cattermole

Cattermole would mostly be shite apart from when he played us and Pardew did his usual arse dropping tactics and Cattermole was given acres of space and played well as a result

TBF to Catts at least he has effected a game this season so you can see the twisted logic of the mentalists assuming they've forgotten the last 5/6 seasons.

In truth, they're both passable midfielders at middling PL level, who shouldn't be anywhere near an international squad for a country that has a league and heritage such as England's and it is very much a sorry representation of where our national game and national team are at currently.

This is true.

He's liable to do something stupid at any moment though, especially in a big game. That's reason enough to not pick him.

"Ginger Pirlo" though :lol: