Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This guys performance on sunday was even worse looking back on it, he had literally all the time in the world on the ball and did very little with it.

Exactly. It's one less body McClaren can call upon but he offers so little when he appears the effect is negligible. Can pretty much guarantee his replacement won't be worse.

This is a brave statement.

He was poor though. Everyone else in the first half did pieces of their role very well.

It could actually turn out to be a great opportunity to put together a more effective midfield. Obviously McClaren will try the Tiote/Anita partnership to begin with, but unless he gets results, he'll probably need to drop the two defensive midfielder strategy and that should improve the shape of the team one way or the other.

he'll probably need to drop the two defensive midfielder strategy and that should improve the shape of the team one way or the other.

There's no evidence for this. Not to mention, the wide players are in good form... playing wide. Not to mention, even with 2 sitters, we can't protect the defence as it is.

Everything is coming up Gouffran.

Wij was largely anonymous at CM. He also played Goufffran in CM before Sissoko and i'm not sure what type of central midfielder Gouff is meant to be. McClaren seems married to having a flatish midfield.

Well if the flattish midfield doesn't produce results then McClaren will get sacked.

It's not criminal. It's somewhere where he is used to playing and can still contribute to our attacking play, and it allows us to bring a better player than Colback into the fold: Siem de Jong. In fact, it's what we should have done much earlier.

When we need wins so badly I think it would be foolish to change the front 4 in the way it is now. Also wouldn't both Perez and De Jong want to occupy the same space on the pitch?

It's not criminal. It's somewhere where he is used to playing and can still contribute to our attacking play, and it allows us to bring a better player than Colback into the fold: Siem de Jong. In fact, it's what we should have done much earlier.

Wijnaldum is playing on the left though, is De Jong going to be able to do that? Isn't De Jong capable of playing box to box so he could be a straight replacement for Colback?

Wijnaldum is playing on the left though, is De Jong going to be able to do that? Isn't De Jong capable of playing box to box so he could be a straight replacement for Colback?

Wijnaldum box to box, Ayoze from the left and De Jong behind Mitro is how I would go.

Don't understand this logic of that playing CM means you can't score goals or will be restricted into getting into goalscoring positions.

Most of Wijnaldum's goals have come from making late runs, not like he won't still be doing that. Do i need to name the dozens of CMs have scored 15 goals plus in a season from the CM position?

Don't understand this logic of that playing CM means you can't score goals or will be restricted into getting into goalscoring positions.

Most of Wijnaldum's goals have come from making late runs, not like he won't still be doing that. Do i need to name the dozens of CMs have scored 15 goals plus in a season from the CM position?

The dozens? in a 2 man midfield? in a struggling team? Name me 6.

It's just safer not to fuck with one of the few players who's actually playing alright.

• 4 weeks later...