Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest alijmitchell

I just think that he does a lot of stuff that will go unnoticed.  He's competent and consistent at the very least.  Mr dependable. 

The litmus test for this will be as to whether he's still in the squad in a year or two.  I know it's NUFC and all, so he may remain by default...

He goes unnoticed because he hides. You can depend on him to not affect a game at all. The lad is utter wank and I wish people would look pass their bias. He contributes nothing in midfield.

Guest alijmitchell

Should never be a starting cm in the premier league at all. Wouldn't start in any other side, gets a pass because he's local

I do feel a lot of this hatred exists because the club got itself in a position where too much has been demanded/expected of Colback.  If we'd have replaced Cabaye properly, then Colback could have been the player I expect him to become for us in the coming months.  In and out of the first team as required, doing the basics alongside Shelvey.  Then, there'd never have been cause for such criticism as a) we'd have been doing a hell of a lot better in the league and so our energies wouldn't be so focused on tearing apart our average/lesser players and b) Colback could stick to the basics and get appreciated as such.

Nah, we still would have focused on him because he is shit, you always look at the crap players as that is an obvious way to improve just as Danny Simpson was shit

He will stand out even more now because Shelvey will be everything this guy wishes he was

I think Beautiful Day makes fair points; but there's an accepted view on here, let's call it a strong belief, that JC is cowardly, hides, never passes forward, deliberately chalks up passes to make his stats look better (inference this pulls the wool over seasoned pros and managers re his competence...), is such a poor player he wouldn't get into any side other than ours, oh and he only does that because of some weird contract shenanigans which means he has to play if fit; also he sniffs his mother's knickers, and may be more suited to a gig on the Green market as an apprentice butcher (may have made the last two-up...well, one of them).  Like other strong beliefs (politics, religion, which team we support etc) there's not much point directly challenging it. Events/complicated s*** like someone's value to the team isn't passively received—it's not recorded in everybody's brain like some flickering video with the same images for all of us: “Look man, frame four, he f***ing fell ower, HE’s s***!!”— we actively perceive everything, i.e. our beliefs act like directors shifting focus, selectively attending to what is going on, cutting here and dismissing there. Personally, I have been more exasperated by him this season (in the main). But in general I can appreciate that kind of player, call it a water-carrier if you want to be all Gallic (psuedo American Gallic) and dismissive, but just like Deschamps, I think that in particular formations you need one or even two lads like that in the team. Suspect I am also a bit biased as my son plays a similar role for a very successful junior side in the North West. He's not the one hitting 20 yard screamers, or chucking in half a dozen Ronaldo/Messi etc moves when on a run. But without him in midfield, they don't look any near effective, and he gets more Man of the Match awards (from Academy coaching staff) than those more ostensibly skilful/show-boaty ‘match-winning’ players. Appreciate that Colback doesn’t, and as I’ve said he has disappointed. However, on his day he really makes a difference, and I believe he did make a positive contribution (hassling, harrying, closing down, cutting out, narrowing the angle, breaking up the flow — of the opposition even at times  ;) — in the main, last season. I’m personally quite curious to see whether Shelvey as a linchpin means he doesn’t need to pirouette and change tack quite so often; he doesn’t look so “cowardly”, which a lot of the time is I suspect is him just playing within his skill set, desperate  not to lose the ball.  People will continue to see what they attend to. Personally,  I hope Saivet gets a run in the team. Competition is good, and JC may be better with a bit more desperation to prove himself. Worth thinking though, if there is anything which doesn’t fit with your beliefs about him, and if anything springs to mind, do you find yourself immediately dismissing it?

I've had the pleasure of watching him crawl around on his hands and knees twice for two matches in a row and yet I'm still reading people defending his ability as a footballer. Amazing.

Have we established why he replaced Dummett at left back?

I think Beautiful Day makes fair points; but there's an accepted view on here, let's call it a strong belief, that JC is cowardly, hides, never passes forward, deliberately chalks up passes to make his stats look better (inference this pulls the wool over seasoned pros and managers re his competence...), is such a poor player he wouldn't get into any side other than ours, oh and he only does that because of some weird contract shenanigans which means he has to play if fit; also he sniffs his mother's knickers, and may be more suited to a gig on the Green market as an apprentice butcher (may have made the last two-up...well, one of them).  Like other strong beliefs (politics, religion, which team we support etc) there's not much point directly challenging it. Events/complicated s*** like someone's value to the team isn't passively received—it's not recorded in everybody's brain like some flickering video with the same images for all of us: “Look man, frame four, he f***ing fell ower, HE’s s***!!”— we actively perceive everything, i.e. our beliefs act like directors shifting focus, selectively attending to what is going on, cutting here and dismissing there. Personally, I have been more exasperated by him this season (in the main). But in general I can appreciate that kind of player, call it a water-carrier if you want to be all Gallic (psuedo American Gallic) and dismissive, but just like Deschamps, I think that in particular formations you need one or even two lads like that in the team. Suspect I am also a bit biased as my son plays a similar role for a very successful junior side in the North West. He's not the one hitting 20 yard screamers, or chucking in half a dozen Ronaldo/Messi etc moves when on a run. But without him in midfield, they don't look any near effective, and he gets more Man of the Match awards (from Academy coaching staff) than those more ostensibly skilful/show-boaty ‘match-winning’ players. Appreciate that Colback doesn’t, and as I’ve said he has disappointed. However, on his day he really makes a difference, and I believe he did make a positive contribution (hassling, harrying, closing down, cutting out, narrowing the angle, breaking up the flow — of the opposition even at times  ;) — in the main, last season. I’m personally quite curious to see whether Shelvey as a linchpin means he doesn’t need to pirouette and change tack quite so often; he doesn’t look so “cowardly”, which a lot of the time is I suspect is him just playing within his skill set, desperate  not to lose the ball.  People will continue to see what they attend to. Personally,  I hope Saivet gets a run in the team. Competition is good, and JC may be better with a bit more desperation to prove himself. Worth thinking though, if there is anything which doesn’t fit with your beliefs about him, and if anything springs to mind, do you find yourself immediately dismissing it?

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140316005546/creepypasta/images/7/7e/Enter_key.jpg

Hatred exists because he's f***ing crap, no need to analyse it any further.

TBH no. I don't hate him because he's crap. I hate him because he's crap and a shoe-in to start every match possible for us until he retires OR Ashley sells the club and we get a manager with the balls to drop him.

For what it's worth, I still have a feeling that as soon as Saivet is up to speed, he'll replace Colback in the line-up.

Not sure about Mole, suspect any Newcastle manager would have considered a freebie at teh time, and he was clear he wanted to leave the Makems.

We have become so small-time, pards made it sound like it was such a major coup that we brought jack fucking colback HOME. on a FREE. 

:facepalm:

Not sure about Mole, suspect any Newcastle manager would have considered a freebie at teh time, and he was clear he wanted to leave the Makems.

We have become so small-time, pards made it sound like it was such a major coup that we brought jack f***ing colback HOME. on a FREE. 

:facepalm:

Just about everything Pardew 'spun' though his self-aggrandising patter left a bad taste.

I do feel a lot of this hatred exists because the club got itself in a position where too much has been demanded/expected of Colback.  If we'd have replaced Cabaye properly, then Colback could have been the player I expect him to become for us in the coming months.  In and out of the first team as required, doing the basics alongside Shelvey.  Then, there'd never have been cause for such criticism as a) we'd have been doing a hell of a lot better in the league and so our energies wouldn't be so focused on tearing apart our average/lesser players and b) Colback could stick to the basics and get appreciated as such.

I can say I expected absolutely fuck all from him as I thought that he was abysmal when we signed him.

Aye he was free but only reason it happened was because of Pardew and considering it's acted like a noose around our necks ever since it gave more reasons to hate Pardew. :lol:

As if i didn't have a novel length sized list of them as is.

Guest firetotheworks

My main gripe with Colback is that he gets a free pass because it's perceived that he doesn't do anything wrong because he doesn't misplace passes and is perceived to work hard. To me and a lot of people it seems like he's aware of that and plays upon it by never trying anything that could fail and expose him to the sort of criticism that someone like Sissoko gets or Ben Arfa got, or IMO Shelvey will get. As someone put it a little while ago he 'aliby runs' to give the impression of graft but it's never of any benefit and that energy in appearing to work hard is nowhere to be seen if it means finding space on the edge of the area, using his right foot, playing a decisive pass or taking a shot. Instead he hides behind opposition players, goes with his left, plays the easy pass or looks to pass the responsibility onto others to fail or succeed. To me, that is him actually doing everything wrong rather than nothing wrong and if that is, as I suspect, the attitude that he has, then as a central midfielder especially, it's completely unforgivable and exactly the reason why every team he's started in has been knocking around the bottom of the league. As a footballer he's worthless imo, I wouldn't have him in any team.

My main gripe with Colback is that he gets a free pass because it's perceived that he doesn't do anything wrong because he doesn't misplace passes and is perceived to work hard. To me and a lot of people it seems like he's aware of that and plays upon it by never trying anything that could fail and expose him to the sort of criticism that someone like Sissoko gets or Ben Arfa got, or IMO Shelvey will get. As someone put it a little while ago he 'aliby runs' to give the impression of graft but it's never of any benefit and that energy in appearing to work hard is nowhere to be seen if it means finding space on the edge of the area, using his right foot, playing a decisive pass or taking a shot. Instead he hides behind opposition players, goes with his left, plays the easy pass or looks to pass the responsibility onto others to fail or succeed. To me, that is him actually doing everything wrong rather than nothing wrong and if that is, as I suspect, the attitude that he has, then as a central midfielder especially, it's completely unforgivable and exactly the reason why every team he's started in has been knocking around the bottom of the league. As a footballer he's worthless imo, I wouldn't have him in any team.

I'd have to agree with this.

He'll play the game his manager expects him to play and the post-game video and tracking analysis would pick up on any unecassary running that may/may not happen, which would then be picked-up during the week. 

He plays as intended by the coaches and I reckon they'll have been pleased with his showing yesterday.

(Would I like to see him upgraded?  Hell yeah)

Spot on.