Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He'll play the game his manager expects him to play and the post-game video and tracking analysis would pick up on any unecassary running that may/may not happen, which would then be picked-up during the week. 

He plays as intended by the coaches and I reckon they'll have been pleased with his showing yesterday.

(Would I like to see him upgraded?  Hell yeah)

He's garbage man, if every other midfielder put in his shift yesterday we'd have got beat 3-0.

My main gripe with Colback is that he gets a free pass because it's perceived that he doesn't do anything wrong because he doesn't misplace passes and is perceived to work hard. To me and a lot of people it seems like he's aware of that and plays upon it by never trying anything that could fail and expose him to the sort of criticism that someone like Sissoko gets or Ben Arfa got, or IMO Shelvey will get. As someone put it a little while ago he 'aliby runs' to give the impression of graft but it's never of any benefit and that energy in appearing to work hard is nowhere to be seen if it means finding space on the edge of the area, using his right foot, playing a decisive pass or taking a shot. Instead he hides behind opposition players, goes with his left, plays the easy pass or looks to pass the responsibility onto others to fail or succeed. To me, that is him actually doing everything wrong rather than nothing wrong and if that is, as I suspect, the attitude that he has, then as a central midfielder especially, it's completely unforgivable and exactly the reason why every team he's started in has been knocking around the bottom of the league. As a footballer he's worthless imo, I wouldn't have him in any team.

Your conclusion (he's a worthless footballer and you wouldn't have him in your team) makes sense to me, based on how you interpret his actions on the pitch, plus no doubt the absence of meaningful end-product (assists, goals, key tackles).

However, it all sounds a bit paranoid and deliberate, if I 'm honest. It 'seeming like' he is avoiding criticism, trying to hide, faking good by appearing to run around a bit, but doing it to fool people, primarily. Basically trying to advance his lot by not putting himself in the firing line, which is the reason why Sunderland and Newcastle were/are knocking around the bottom of the league. If this was true, who would want a toxic weasel (great name for a band btw!) like that in their side?

That said, is there a particular reason why you think you ("and a lot of people") can see this, and others (including football managers, Premiership and International,  a multitude of coaches over the years, ex-pros, pundits, including respected central midfielders/who know the range of functions performed in that position) can't? And given, if I understand it correctly, what really annoys you about him is his attitude/intention to deceive & be self-serving, and by defintion you can't see this, you have to infer it as an explanation for the behaviour you can observe, how do you know you're right? What would have to happen for you to change your mind? Might another expalnation not be a closer fit?

Don't suppose anyone had TalkShite on on Friday at about 4.30pm, did they? Adrian Durham (I know, I know) is now doing something called "the daily rant" where he, or his co-presenter, goes off on one.

He was on with Alvin Martin, who gave a superb rant about players who hide all game and never show for the ball, stating it's even worse if they've been having a shitter.

Durham then mentioned Micky Quinn had once told him about someone he'd played with (didn't name names) who would always lose it, but kept the fans onside because he'd go out and try to win it back. Quinn had said he couldn't understand how that player was getting the plaudits, given he'd lost it in the first place. Durham started trying to think of examples.

Had I not been driving at the time, I'd have called up myself and happily told the both of them that they'd perfectly described Jack Colback.

- Positionally poor.

- Weak in the tackle.

- Non-entity in the air.

- Comical fitness/mobility/agility for a PL central midfielder.

- Mediocre distribution at best.

- Frequently passes backwards killing any kind of momentum we might be building up.

- Spends at least a third of the game "hiding" by standing next to an opposition player when the centrebacks are desperately looking for someone to pass to and there's acres of space for him to move into.

- Looks clueless when he gets forward.

- Panics under any kind of pressure.

- Borderline awful set pieces that get the ball into the box but are the opposite of what you want. Every corner and free kick is hit into the sky with minimal pace on it.

He has some positive traits (can control a ball OK, does try to close down), and by virtue of being played every game is bound to have the odd decent game, but ultimately Colback shouldn't be playing Premiership football for a team looking to stay up. It's as simple as that imo, based on his season so far anyway. He has next to nothing that sets him apart from the kind of dross we saw in CM when we were in the Championship half a decade ago - any number of them can play the odd decent crossfield pass, or put in a half decent cross now and again. At Premiership level the minimum expectations should be much higher, unless we want to actually go down that is.

It's even debatable as to whether he should be considered as a backup option in CM because at PL level we ought to be having competition between midfielders who can bring something to the first team when called upon. Guthrie, for example, was miles better. He might be useful as an "experienced" body, but that's clutching at straws. Beyond that, if we're talking about 4th/5th choice, at that stage of the pecking order we should be looking at taking a punt on an unproven youngster, giving them a run out in the hope that they might turn out to be surprisingly decent (like Abeid). Giving Colback a slot in the squad when we know he's either medicore or shit at everything, knowing full well there's no chance he'll improve, is kinda pointless. The fact that Colback will be on very good wages because of being on a free just adds insult to injury.

Guest firetotheworks

My main gripe with Colback is that he gets a free pass because it's perceived that he doesn't do anything wrong because he doesn't misplace passes and is perceived to work hard. To me and a lot of people it seems like he's aware of that and plays upon it by never trying anything that could fail and expose him to the sort of criticism that someone like Sissoko gets or Ben Arfa got, or IMO Shelvey will get. As someone put it a little while ago he 'aliby runs' to give the impression of graft but it's never of any benefit and that energy in appearing to work hard is nowhere to be seen if it means finding space on the edge of the area, using his right foot, playing a decisive pass or taking a shot. Instead he hides behind opposition players, goes with his left, plays the easy pass or looks to pass the responsibility onto others to fail or succeed. To me, that is him actually doing everything wrong rather than nothing wrong and if that is, as I suspect, the attitude that he has, then as a central midfielder especially, it's completely unforgivable and exactly the reason why every team he's started in has been knocking around the bottom of the league. As a footballer he's worthless imo, I wouldn't have him in any team.

Your conclusion (he's a worthless footballer and you wouldn't have him in your team) makes sense to me, based on how you interpret his actions on the pitch, plus no doubt the absence of meaningful end-product (assists, goals, key tackles).

However, it all sounds a bit paranoid and deliberate, if I 'm honest. It 'seeming like' he is avoiding criticism, trying to hide, faking good by appearing to run around a bit, but doing it to fool people, primarily. Basically trying to advance his lot by not putting himself in the firing line, which is the reason why Sunderland and Newcastle were/are knocking around the bottom of the league. If this was true, who would want a toxic weasel (great name for a band btw!) like that in their side?

That said, is there a particular reason why you think you ("and a lot of people") can see this, and others (including football managers, Premiership and International,  a multitude of coaches over the years, ex-pros, pundits, including respected central midfielders/who know the range of functions performed in that position) can't? And given, if I understand it correctly, what really annoys you about him is his attitude/intention to deceive & be self-serving, and by defintion you can't see this, you have to infer it as an explanation for the behaviour you can observe, how do you know you're right? What would have to happen for you to change your mind? Might another expalnation not be a closer fit?

Essentially if it's not a case of him being smart enough to pull the wool over people's eyes then he's simply an honest but very unintelligent, and fundamentally poor footballer imo. I don't invest in pundit or ex-pro opinions because they're tainted by professional and personal relationships. I can only guess why managers see more than we do, but it's rare that managers don't look favourably on working hard in training, despite being awful at the weekend. It's how Shola stole a living. Fortunately we're in the unique position of seeing only the moments when it actually counts and judging players on that rather than who they are, what their attitude's like, whether their teammates like them, whether they're good in training or not. Our judgement begins and ends for the most part with how they perform during matches and very little else, which is really all that matters.

Are you trying to tell me that Jack Colback is widely highly rated?

Essentially if it's not a case of him being smart enough to pull the wool over people's eyes then he's simply an honest but very unintelligent, and fundamentally poor footballer imo. I don't invest in pundit or ex-pro opinions because they're tainted by professional and personal relationships. I can only guess why managers see more than we do, but it's rare that managers don't look favourably on working hard in training, despite being awful at the weekend. It's how Shola stole a living. Fortunately we're in the unique position of seeing only the moments when it actually counts and judging players on that rather than who they are, what their attitude's like, whether their teammates like them, whether they're good in training or not. Our judgement begins and ends for the most part with how they perform during matches and very little else, which is really all that matters.

Which is really just saying others' views are biased and yours is objective? Not ever a compelling argument, but particularly not when your main rants re this player are to do with what drives his behaviour, not about his behaviour. Don't disagree that he hasn't pulled his weight (in the main) this season. Don't disagree that it will be good to try Saivet there. Just sick of reading scapegoating of his intentions, things which we can't know about and which, to be frank, are more applicable to the sub-title of this thread than anything JC serves up on the pitch.

Are you trying to tell me that Jack Colback is widely highly rated?

No. I think he plays in a premiership foootball team, returns standard/decent stats for his position, and has had an international call-up because his mother is on best terms with Pardew's beautician. 

Guest firetotheworks

Which is really just saying others' views are biased and yours is objective? Not ever a compelling argument, but particularly not when your main rants re this player are to do with what drives his behaviour, not about his behaviour. Don't disagree that he hasn't pulled his weight (in the main) this season. Don't disagree that it will be good to try Saivet there. Just sick of reading scapegoating of his intentions, things which we can't know about and which, to be frank, are more applicable to the sub-title of this thread than anything JC serves up on the pitch.

I'm saying that the fans of a football team are in the best position to view things objectively, yeah. We only see what matters, aren't as clouded with unimportant factors, watch our team more than most and have no reason to want anything other than the best for the club.

My rant regarding Colback's intentions don't really matter. They're merely my perception of him based on the way that he plays. What drives it is neither here nor there if he's not good enough either way, it's merely another stick to hit a player with who is imo of no value to the team. To me he's either a cowardly footballer or an unintelligent, untalented one. Either way, I can't stand him.

[quote author=Kid Icarus link=topic=95326.msg5843930#msg5843930 date=1453042986

I'm saying that the fans of a football team are in the best position to view things objectively, yeah. We only see what matters, aren't as clouded with unimportant factors, watch our team more than most and have no reason to want anything other than the best for the club.

My rant regarding Colback's intentions don't really matter. They're merely my perception of him based on the way that he plays. What drives it is neither here nor there if he's not good enough either way, it's merely another stick to hit a player with who is imo of no value to the team. To me he's either a cowardly footballer or an unintelligent, untalented one. Either way, I can't stand him.

Don't think 'fanatics' are well placed to view things objectively, it means too much to us. Though not everybody is equally 'black and white' in their thinking. And as previously  commented on we/people can and do see things differently, whether fans or not. Also, there are many who, on the assumption that it is for the greater good, don't want the best for the club; at least not at present. We probably don't disagree that much re his value to the team at the mo but your rant about his intentions matters to me Kid, and I suspect to others. It's good to have a place to share our frustrations about players of the fickle finger of fate or whatever. Don't think you do yourself justice by expressing fixed views about something you can't know about, and it reads as an opportunity to pelt somebody, basically bully someone you can't stand.

:clap: superbly put, as ever.

Guest firetotheworks

Don't think 'fanatics' are well placed to view things objectively, it means to much too us. And as previously  commented on we/people can and do see things differently, whether fans or not. Also, there are many who, on the assumption that it is for the greater good, don't want the best for the club; at least not at present. We probably don't disagree that much re his value to the team at the mo but your rant about his intentions matters to me Kid, and I suspect to others. It's good to have a place to share our frustrations about players of the fickle finger of fate or whatever. Don't think you do yourself justice by expressing fixed views about something you can't know about, and reads as an opportunity to pelt somebody, basically bully someone you can't stand.

You can't know either way, that's just how I see it in his case. I think you've made your points well but the bit about bullying him is very far-fetched. I can't stand him as a player and do think that he's a coward. I express that on a forum and back it up with examples that I think back it up, but I'm not screaming at him from the terraces, tweeting him directly or being slanderous. I'm criticising his professionalism as I see it and putting forward the reason why he gets away with it as being because he plays the 'didn't do anything wrong' game deliberately.

Don't think 'fanatics' are well placed to view things objectively, it means to much too us. And as previously  commented on we/people can and do see things differently, whether fans or not. Also, there are many who, on the assumption that it is for the greater good, don't want the best for the club; at least not at present. We probably don't disagree that much re his value to the team at the mo but your rant about his intentions matters to me Kid, and I suspect to others. It's good to have a place to share our frustrations about players of the fickle finger of fate or whatever. Don't think you do yourself justice by expressing fixed views about something you can't know about, and reads as an opportunity to pelt somebody, basically bully someone you can't stand.

You can't know either way, that's just how I see it in his case. I think you've made your points well but the bit about bullying him is very far-fetched. I can't stand him as a player and do think that he's a coward. I express that on a forum and back it up with examples that I think back it up, but I'm not screaming at him from the terraces, tweeting him directly or being slanderous. I'm criticising his professionalism as I see it and putting forward the reason why he gets away with it as being because he plays the 'didn't do anything wrong' game deliberately.

I'm not claiming to know, gave up on my Derren Brown aspirations sometime ago, and not denying your right to an opinion. Just saying, same as 14 posts ago, that your opinions about his intentions seem a bit paranoid and deliberate, as you reiterate above. Fair point though, stick and stones versus words is 'to the power of ten' if the words aren't even heard/are totally irrelevant.

I'm not claiming to know, gave up on my Derren Brown aspirations sometime ago, and not denying your right to an opinion. Just saying, same as 14 posts ago, that your opinions about his intentions seem a bit paranoid and deliberate, as you reiterate above. Fair point though, stick and stones versus words is 'to the power of ten' if the words aren't even heard/are totally irrelevant.

KI has given his reasoning why he doesn't rate Colback pretty clearly, don't see what's paranoid about it. Maybe you could counter that with what you think he brings to the table. I'm struggling to think of a position for him where he wouldn't be a liability long term. As for his England call up I said then that I couldn't see him getting another one once Hodgson had a decent look at his lack of mobility. He's never been picked since.

TRon, read first bit of #7107. It's not so much about making a case for what he brings as about not talking shite about the reasons for his lack of impact.

I read it but it just seems to be a general complaint about other people's low opinion of Colback. That's why I think it would be more useful if you could tell us your opinion (not managers, coaches or ex-players) on what he brings to the table.