Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

Last match I attended was Bolton (H) where Hatem ran from the halfway line to score. Most unbelievable goal I have ever witnessed in person. I will never lose the emotional attachment to Hatem. And that will live in my memory forever. I will never forger sitting in the Gallowgate screaming "RUN, RUN, RUN, SHOOT HATEM SHOOT!!!", gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

I still get giddy remembering the thread when we got linked to him, then he was spotted at the airport. Fuck man, the excitement was too much.

NUFC.com also having a bit of go at Hatem, in their write-up...

Scoring in back to back wins over Fulham and Aston Villa early in the 2013/14 season, a chunky-looking Ben Arfa struggled for both form and fitness and gradually found himself eased out of United's starting XI.

The sale of Yohan Cabaye early in 2014 seemed to give him a route back into the side, but due to a breakdown in relations with Pardew that never materialised.

Nowhere near the French squad for the 2014 World Cup, United made their intentions clear by handing new arrival Siem De Jong the number 10 squad number and excluding Ben Arfa from first team pre-season, banishing him to train with the U21 development side. 

He leaves having made 55 starts and 31 substitute appearances in all competitions, scoring 14 times.

Whatever Ben Arfa does or doesn't go on to achieve in the game, he goes down as another who wasted his talents in a black and white shirt.

Whether that was down to errant behaviour on the part of the player, or poor management from the club's leadership depends on your standpoint.

:jesuswept:

Scoring in back to back wins over Fulham and Aston Villa early in the 2013/14 season, a chunky-looking Ben Arfa struggled for both form and fitness and gradually found himself eased out of United's starting XI.

The sale of Yohan Cabaye early in 2014 seemed to give him a route back into the side, but due to a breakdown in relations with Pardew that never materialised.

Nowhere near the French squad for the 2014 World Cup, United made their intentions clear by handing new arrival Siem De Jong the number 10 squad number and excluding Ben Arfa from first team pre-season, banishing him to train with the U21 development side. 

He leaves having made 55 starts and 31 substitute appearances in all competitions, scoring 14 times.

Whatever Ben Arfa does or doesn't go on to achieve in the game, he goes down as another who wasted his talents in a black and white shirt.

Whether that was down to errant behaviour on the part of the player, or poor management from the club's leadership depends on your standpoint.

What utter bullshit, man. Seen less revisionism from Fox News.

Think they're just being fair.

He has wasted his talents here. Who is to blame is up to your own gut feeling.

Personally hovering around 87% Pardew because I think he's a bell, but i know nowt about what's gone on.

He has wasted his talents here. Who is to blame is up to you.

Personally hovering around 87% Pardew because I think he's a bell, but i know nowt about what's gone on.

How can you waste your talents if you're not given a fair chance to show them in comparison with other players? (rhetorical)

How can you waste your talents if you're not given the chance to show them?

He wasted his talents coming here and playing under a manager that didn't know how to use him. He has not developed/shone as brightly as he might have and it's your call where to lay the blame for that.

For most of us it's a fairly easy call to make.

Guest firetotheworks

Fucking hate the self-appointed pedestal they put their opinions on under the guise of 1. Not being on a pedestal and 2. Being impartial.

They're anything but and whenever you read anything they write there's always an air of being superior, having more important opinions and flagrant, patronising self righteousness. Oh, we're allowed to think for ourselves are we? Thanks for that.

Self-agrandising horseshit imo, can't stand it.

Guest firetotheworks

The correct sentence for being fair would be

"he goes down as another whose talents have been wasted in a black and white shirt."

not

"he goes down as another who wasted his talents in a black and white shirt."

It's subtle but it makes a big difference and it's deliberate. They've been doing it for years.

:lol: Not really.

He wasted his talents coming here and playing under a manager that didn't know how to use him. He has not developed/shone as brightly as he might have and it's your call where to lay the blame for that.

How was he meant to have known that? If you look at what Cabaye said when he signed it's not as if Pardew has been straight forward with players coming in regarding his philosophy. I mean he's so ashamed of the football he plays that he regularly comes out to us fans who watch it week in week out and tries to tell us it isn't what it is :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

Feels to me like most of the influential NUFC voices are still very dated and insular. Can't imagine there's many support groups that rattle on about the 80s as much as ours seem to.

People hold it like a medal of honour as if it's to be lauded because they kept giving money to a club that was fucking it up the arse and telling them they liked it. No doubt after this it'll be 'I went through the Pardew years'

Aye mate and you did nothing about trying to bring it to an end.

Guest firetotheworks

How was he meant to have known that? If you look at what Cabaye said when he signed it's not as if Pardew has been straight forward with players coming in regarding his philosophy. I mean he's so ashamed of the football he plays that he regularly comes out to us fans who watch it week in week out and tries to tell us it isn't what it is :lol:

Not to mention that he came here under Hughton. A man with more honesty in his fingernail than Pardew has in his heartless, slimy shell.

Do people think there is a generational aspect to this divide among the fans? Is there an over-representation of older fans among those who still refuse to acknowledge the murdering of our club - or the other way around?

TBH I couldn't find anybody still in support of Pardew until I bumped into an old friend yesterday. He was literally a Pardew clone. Only thing he agreed with me on, is that Gouff shouldn't be on the wing and he has stopped putting a shift tracking back because hes sick to the back teeth with it.

Apart from that I was bombarded with several gems such as, Willo is comfortably our best defender, Colback is better than Anita and should start along side De Jong in CM. Hatem is a fraud and the banner was an embarrassment. Cisse will come good (With what service?). And Ayoze is 17 years old apparently. I could go on but I stabbed him when he said keeping Saylor over Mapou was the right decision for the direction the club want to be going in.

Sums up just why the terraces haven't unanimously turned on the c***, with opinions like these.

Brilliant :thup:

And hes 22, so not sure if its an age thing to support Pardew.

Feels to me like most of the influential NUFC voices are still very dated and insular. Can't imagine there's many support groups that rattle on about the 80s as much as ours seem to.

Aye, I've seen a fair bit of older lot accusing the younger of having unrealistic expectations, almost of being glory hunters, because of the Keegan era. Remember 'Keeganite' being thrown around as an insult as arguments broke out over Souness in particular. Don't know how widespread this is.

This idea that "support" must be unconditional is so dangerous and counter-productive. That is an idea from a bygone era when there was no money in the game. In 2014, it's just a licence for people like Mike Ashley to take the piss out of the naive.

Our fans are like a battered wife, pledging to honour her vows before he gets home from knocking off his secretary and beats ten shades of shit out of her again.

aye this, absolutely :thup:

He wasn't. :lol:

In hindsight he's wasted his talents turning out in a black and white shirt while Pardew was in control, I'm not blaming him for coming here.

I genuinely think under any other manager he would have had a brilliant career here. It's entirely the managers fault for flat out refusing to play him.

Fair enough we don't have the best track record with players but even under some of the worst man-management I've ever seen he still managed to shine during his period here.

EDIT: The post has been edited so this probably doesn't make sense now :lol: