Liverpool 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 11/05/14 - Post-match reaction from page 53

BlueStar

Crazy talk on here. We basically did what city are doing now when we were good. And outspent people. Only diff  is our benefactor was local. I'd swap in a f***ing heartbeat

We really didn't like. :lol:

That's so wrong it's unbelievable like SanToon. We had an untested manager buying unproven players at market prices. We broke the transfer record for a proven player but we built towards that and loaned the money to do so. We built and built.

Times have changed IMO. It's impossible to win a title through "gradual building" now

Liverpool would have done that if Steven Gerrard hadn't fallen over.

Fair one if the money wasn't SJH didn't pay attention to the intricacies. But we were saddle with debt when he left right? Having spent too much money?

Only with the stadium extension mortgage.

Fair one if the money wasn't SJH didn't pay attention to the intricacies. But we were saddle with debt when he left right? Having spent too much money?

I thought we still owed loads in transfer fees that hadn't been paid? Including the Owen deal?

Isn't that normal? Real Madrid probably wont finish playing Spurs for Bale for about 5 years or something.

I thought we still owed loads in transfer fees that hadn't been paid? Including the Owen deal?

I htought Owen was paid for by the Northen Rock Sponsorship deal, didnt hey give us 14 million up front and Shepherd spunked it all in one summer??

If they can do it in Spain, why not here?

In Spain all you need is for two teams to have a bad year. What Atletico are (about to) accomplish is still the equivalent of flipping a coin and having it come up heads fifty times straight. For us, it would be closer to five-hundred.

It's different for entitlement teams like Man United or Liverpool who had already built gigantic brands before the modern era, which allow them to generate enough cash to compete and attract players with their prestige.

Money, money, and more money is the only option for teams on the level of Chelsea, Man City, or us.

Crazy talk on here. We basically did what city are doing now when we were good. And outspent people. Only diff  is our benefactor was local. I'd swap in a f***ing heartbeat

That's so wrong it's unbelievable like SanToon. We had an untested manager buying unproven players at market prices. We broke the transfer record for a proven player but we built towards that and loaned the money to do so. We built and built.

Times have changed IMO. It's impossible to win a title through "gradual building" now

That's the point though. I'd prefer we simply compete than unquestionably buy our way to league titles with a bottomless pit of Arabian oil money.

We're doing nothing at the minute, we're simply irrelevant.

Guest firetotheworks

Money is an excuse to hide behind for not trying to be successful. I agree that you might not win the league, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't try.

In Spain all you need is for two teams to have a bad year. What Atletico are (about to) accomplish is still the equivalent of flipping a coin and having it come up heads fifty times straight. For us, it would be closer to five-hundred.

It's different for entitlement teams like Man United or Liverpool who had already built gigantic brands before the modern era, which allow them to generate enough cash to compete and attract players with their prestige.

Money, money, and more money is the only option for teams on the level of Chelsea, Man City, or us.

The two teams Atletico are up against haven't had bad years. And also Barcelona and Real Madrid are miles better than any team in the Premier League

Guest firetotheworks

That's the point though. I'd prefer we simply compete than unquestionably buy our way to league titles with a bottomless pit of Arabian oil money.

We're doing nothing at the minute, we're simple irrelevant.

Exactly this.

One reason may be that in Spain they have an endless supply talent from South America who can be picked up cheap before they are established in national teams. Work permit restrictions mean English clubs don't have access to that huge pool of talent, unless they can afford to pay what it costs for established internationals.