Liverpool 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 11/05/14 - Post-match reaction from page 53

BlueStar

Pardew just on Radio 5:

Comfortable first period.

Referee played a part.

1st goal not a foul.

Should have had a free kick 2nd half and then Liverpool scored.

Argued the case - Shola doesnt swear - Dowd should have handled it better

Shola apparently sent off for sarcasm.

Haven't been strong enough as a squad. 2nd half of season not good enough.

1st half of season terrific and chasing european places

Apologies to fans and hopefully make it right in summer.

Crazy talk on here. We basically did what city are doing now when we were good. And outspent people. Only diff  is our benefactor was local. I'd swap in a f***ing heartbeat

We really didn't like. :lol:

That's so wrong it's unbelievable like SanToon. We had an untested manager buying unproven players at market prices. We broke the transfer record for a proven player but we built towards that and loaned the money to do so. We built and built.

Did we outspend the majority? When we went down, we were paying CL wages.

Technically no, if i remember correctly when we went down we were 6th in wagebills.

Crazy talk on here. We basically did what city are doing now when we were good. And outspent people. Only diff  is our benefactor was local. I'd swap in a f***ing heartbeat

That's so wrong it's unbelievable like SanToon. We had an untested manager buying unproven players at market prices. We broke the transfer record for a proven player but we built towards that and loaned the money to do so. We built and built.

Did we outspend the majority? When we went down, we were paying CL wages.

We outspent (some) others based on the money coming into the club from normal sources. SJH wasn't a benefactor, more a guarantor. He put very little of his own money in iirc.

Guest firetotheworks

You're getting this way way wrong like SanToon. The scale is spectacularly greater than ours was. We're talking about the difference between millions and tens of millions to hundreds of millions and hundreds of billions.

As an example

100 million seconds is just over 3 years

100 billion seconds is just over 3,000 years.

I'd swap what we currently are now for anything. Cannot agree that we basically did what City are doing now though, it's not even close.

On a reduced scale it is. We broke the transfer record FFS. All funded by our owner. What's different about it?

Man City have spent hundreds of millions of pounds and, along with a few other clubs, are responsible for UEFA actually bringing in rules to try and prevent what they're doing. They can pretty much buy who they want, it's not even close, man.

As could we back then. Obvs with inflation the fees have gone up. We didn't earn our money so to speak, we spent our owners and outspent the other teams. Same thing as they are doing just on a diff scale. Was their anyone we couldn't buy? We broke the transfer record to get the best striker in Europe at the time.

We didn't spend our owner's money at all, SJH acted as the backer to loans that were paid off by the floatation.  Other than purchasing the club I don't believe that the Hall family put more than £1.5million into the club's funds (even that money came from Lady Hall IIRC).

You seem to have confused us with Blackburn.

Hall barely put penny into the club, and cashed in tens of millions when he left. Benefactor my arse!

What we did in the mid 90s was driven by the resources the club could generate rather than a bottomless pit of oil money. There is no comparison with Man City, Chelsea and the like.

Times have changed IMO. It's impossible to win a title through "gradual building" now

Times have changed IMO. It's impossible to win a title through "gradual building" now

If they can do it in Spain, why not here?

Guest firetotheworks

...and?