Ayozé Pérez (now playing for Real Betis)

ponsaelius

He spent too much energy to cover everywhere in both attacking and defending plays, and thus lead to relatively poor personal performance, but then he is able to pop up in many critical positions and that's why he scored the winner and probably our goal for safety. Give him some credit please.

He didn't get much help from Gayle to be honest. His position in our team should be re-evaluated next season when we have better players surrounding him. But for now, he is simply our best no.10 by a country mile.

Shelvey and Diame won't look nearly as good without Perez.

So as Merino.  Our midfield always looks better when Perez is in front of them. Or you can say our midfield is dreadful and not functioning without Perez.

While I get some of the criticism, the over-the-top stuff is absurd. Here is how I saw his performance yesterday:

1) Balls were played into him at speed by Lejeune, Shelvey, etc., and he was always surrounded by 2-3 players every single time, so clearly Wagner recognized him as a threat enough to always have him double-teamed. As he's no Ben Arfa, he did the best he could, by trying to keep possession in small pockets of space, and constantly grafting.

2) He finally found the space he was looking for in the lead up to the goal, and not only did he bring the ball forward, he played a glorious, Hollywood pass with the outside of his boot to Atsu, starting and finishing the move that led to our goal.

3) He had no help from either Kennedy or Gayle, for some reason, but he did create tons of space for Shelvey by drawing 2-3 defenders away, or keeping them harried and busy up front.

All in all, not a pretty performance, but it was topped off by a very pretty, skilful passage of play that led to our goal, which he scored.

The old timers and knackers hated Ben Arfa, Robert, and Ginola. [emoji38] I can't even imagine the state they get themselves into with Perez considering the much more obvious weaknesses in his game.

I recall Ben Arfa having plenty of detractors, who hated Ginola and Robert?? Who are these old timers you speak of, young man?

robert had plenty of haters as he tried a lot of stuff that never came off and on occasion look disinterested.

any failed attempt at a cross or shot, or failure to tackle and he'd get called all sorts.

The old timers and knackers hated Ben Arfa, Robert, and Ginola. [emoji38] I can't even imagine the state they get themselves into with Perez considering the much more obvious weaknesses in his game.

I recall Ben Arfa having plenty of detractors, who hated Ginola and Robert?? Who are these old timers you speak of, young man?

I'll wade in here as I made the original comment about the oldies. It's a sweeping generalisation but no matter where I sit in the ground there's an old gadgey berating Perez, usually a few of them.

I'll wade in here as I made the original comment about the oldies. It's a sweeping generalisation but no matter where I sit in the ground there's an old gadgey berating Perez, usually a few of them.

It's a young lass next to me like.

Guest Howaythetoon

I like him, but wish he was just a bit quicker and much stronger. He’s having a decent season though all things considered.

Big difference between Larry Robert and Perez like.

Robert genuinely had plenty of ability but was also fairly lazy.  He got credit for quality and criticism for laziness. Sometimes he would be off.

Perez on the other hand is a grafter.  It’s the quality that is in question.

Guest Howaythetoon

Robert was very strong physically mind and quite quick, not rapid, but no slouch. Different players anyway :lol: Perez does work hard. If we could find a similar player but who is quicker and stronger we would improve massively going forward.

Guest firetotheworks

Who specifically? Just people I sat next to and/or met. It was always about them not tracking back or being lazy. Hindsight's a wonderful thing where Ginola's concerned, like. He was booed when he came back to St James' Park, presumably by the same knackers, but that seems to have all been forgotten and he's now rightly remembered fondly.

Who specifically? Just people I sat next to and/or met. It was always about them not tracking back or being lazy. Hindsight's a wonderful thing where Ginola's concerned, like. He was booed when he came back to St James' Park, presumably by the same knackers, but that seems to have all been forgotten and he's now rightly remembered fondly.

Yeah, my uncle hated Robert due to 'laziness and indiscipline'. He couldn't understand why I loved him.

Ginola was even more frustrating to many, often trying to beat a man in his own half and losing the ball. I was young, but I remember joining in with the frustration aimed at him from the terraces.

Yeah, my uncle hated Robert due to 'laziness and indiscipline'. He couldn't understand why I loved him.

Ginola was even more frustrating to many, often trying to beat a man in his own half and losing the ball. I was young, but I remember joining in with the frustration aimed at him from the terraces.

Your uncle Graeme?

They were both game changers (Robert and Ginola), so much so their deficencies were easy to ignore. As fans we are always going to gravitate towards the snowboaters if they back it up like they both did.

I love Perez and as mentioned his work rate or even skill isn't in question. I think he is often a little lightweight but it's a valid point how much he has been marked. He looks innefective in the 10 slot because of that. He looked best as a wide forward and has actually arguably been better when played up top than our other forwards. The former isn't an option under rafas tactics and there are better options on the wing. He feels a bit like a square peg waiting to find his best role.

Either way we need to upgrade 1-2 (depending on Slimani) upfront and a new number 10. Be mad to sell ayoze though.

Guest Howaythetoon

The gasps and groans for the likes of Robert, Ben Arfa and Ginola were more down to expectations and them trying something and not coming off more than a general malaise towards those players. From memory anyway. They were in the main idolised and loved.

Guest Howaythetoon

Ginola when he came here was something else, two footed, 6ft plus, strong, quick, skilful and just a mesmerising player. Robert was totally different, a much better crosser I thought and more productive in terms of shooting. He was sensational when he arrived too. Not a traditional winger or even a wide man. I always thought he could have done a job for us through the middle up front just off Shearer. Ben Arfa isn’t a winger, a wide man or a striker, he’s a playmaker who needs to roam basically like Hazard does, although the latter is quite disciplined and I think that actually detracts from his offensive game as highlighted against Spurs at times at the weekend.

Guest Howaythetoon

The way I see it if we can have a bench consisting of the likes of Perez, Diame, Ritchie and Shelvey as good as they have been recently, we will have a very good first team and indeed squad. That needs to be the aim and I’m sure Rafa will not think twice about upgrading on anyone if he has the funds and the right player comes along.

Fair enough. It’s all about memory and perspective; both hazy at the best of times. Don’t personally recall Ginola getting any stick, where I was or in my company. Robert on occasion would be reminded to get on his bike towards our goal. To say they were hated isn’t accurate. I can recall a ‘sweary-stupido’ road sweeper who sat near me who used to rant ‘track back’ (and other choice advice) at Robert. But he would tell you he loved him and he was far from an old timer (early 20s)... guess he might be an old timer now.