Ayozé Pérez (now playing for Real Betis)

ponsaelius

The fact that people are questioning whether Perez should start next week simply shows that whilst we have spent money we haven't addressed the real problem areas. Perez is a star in the making if he's handled correctly. I'm not sure McClaren will start him yet we'll put out a defense that has glaring holes in it and will possibly play 2 midfielders in Colback and Anita in sitting positions both of who aren't good enough and at the expense of far better players who McClaren can't fit into the team be because of the weaknesses in other areas.

I've tried picking a team for next week and can't see how Perez can play if Mitrovic plays unless De Jong doesn't start. You could put Perez out wider but that's not his position.

When they sat down and identified where they needed strengthening and who to target they must have been on the lash. Where's the left back and other centre half we need? Get that sorted and some of the precaution McClaren's selections currently need will go away.

The fact that people are questioning whether Perez should start next week simply shows that whilst we have spent money we haven't addressed the real problem areas. Perez is a star in the making if he's handled correctly. I'm not sure McClaren will start him yet we'll put out a defense that has glaring holes in it and will possibly play 2 midfielders in Colback and Anita in sitting positions both of who aren't good enough and at the expense of far better players who McClaren can't fit into the team be because of the weaknesses in other areas.

I've tried picking a team for next week and can't see how Perez can play if Mitrovic plays unless De Jong doesn't start. You could put Perez out wider but that's not his position.

When they sat down and identified where they needed strengthening and who to target they must have been on the lash. Where's the left back and other centre half we need? Get that sorted and some of the precaution McClaren's selections currently need will go away.

We'll see a lot less of people like Gouffran & Obertan this season so we've improved straight away. We're no longer a couple of injuries from a shite forward line, we have a bit of depth and decent options.

We'll see a lot less of people like Gouffran & Obertan this season so we've improved straight away. We're no longer a couple of injuries from a shite forward line, we have a bit of depth and decent options.

Based on what?

Anita and Colback shield enabled us to control the tempo of the game yesterday.  That's what we'll need against Southampton.  It's up to the front 4 to work on their attacking more than dropping an attacking player into the midfield 2.

Wijnaldum dropping deeper would be a good option to have if we were chasing the game in the second half, but I wouldn't start that way.

If anita and colback start together as the defensive midfielders then our team automatically becomes pedestrian, I would much rather have colback and wijnaldum as the defensive pivots with sissoko, perez/dejong, aarons in front of them. Colback and anita together are just too ordinary ...

Personally, I would like to see ayoze ahead of dejong as he is so lively, bring dejong on later to kill off and control matches

We'll see a lot less of people like Gouffran & Obertan this season so we've improved straight away. We're no longer a couple of injuries from a s**** forward line, we have a bit of depth and decent options.

Based on what?

On the fact we have better options now. A fully-fit Aarons & De Jong alone pushes them down two pegs, that's before Wijnaldum & Mitrovic are considered.

Didn't Perez play out wide a lot in his breakthrough season?

He hasn't got the pace to be really effective out wide, he's best just off the front man and that causes selection problems. If we do put him out wide we'll ruin him.

We'll see a lot less of people like Gouffran & Obertan this season so we've improved straight away. We're no longer a couple of injuries from a s**** forward line, we have a bit of depth and decent options.

Based on what?

On the fact we have better options now. A fully-fit Aarons & De Jong alone pushes them down two pegs, that's before Wijnaldum & Mitrovic are considered.

Can hardly give McClaren/the club credit for existing players becoming uninjured though. That's not 'addressing the real problem areas' as Tsunami mentioned.

Yesterday Obertan ranged from the sublime to the ridiculous, the guy is so inconsistent that he shouldn't be anywhere near the first team. That said, most of our problems came from the fact our final ball was rubbish yesterday, or our fullbacks just decided to play the easy back pass once they had gotten into advanced positions...

Wijnaldum looks nailed on to play behind striker to me. Then Sissoko and one other out wide. Can't see where de Jong plays. Perez looks like being first sub. Though i'd play him either side and bin Sissoko, which wont happen.

Wijnaldum was miles better when he went to CM, hope he's nowhere the AM position at any stage tbh.

Yesterday Obertan ranged from the sublime to the ridiculous, the guy is so inconsistent that he shouldn't be anywhere near the first team. That said, most of our problems came from the fact our final ball was rubbish yesterday, or our fullbacks just decided to play the easy back pass once they had gotten into advanced positions...

I wouldn't call him inconsistent, his good spells are far too infrequent for him to be labelled as anything other than grade A shite.

I wouldn't call him inconsistent, his good spells are far too infrequent for him to be labelled as anything other than grade A shite.

Wum?

Obertan isn't even that bad, much better than someone like Cabella for instance

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-H-O_u8_F7ik/VW5kbZN0xoI/AAAAAAAAiI4/jeGvfuEQKsI/s1600/JonHamm_yes.gif

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/196157.gif

:lol: perfect

Sad thing is, this is probably the thoughts of many. Load of bull of course.

Of course it clearly is :(

We have no idea how good/bad de jong is yet as he has hardly played for us, whereas we all know what Ayoze can do and how had he works... I really think he should get first crack at No10 as he merits it if only for being the shining light in pardew's shitefest last season!