Siem de Jong (still alive)

Guest ManDoon

I wonder if Perez could do a job on the left, allowing De Jong to stay in the side through the centre. Still not sure he's ever gonna be much use long-term, mind you. The potential of Perez and Mitrovic is just about the best thing about the squad, talent-wise.

Christmas tree proposed with Mitro up top and Perez/DeJong behind would be what I'd be looking at for the Villa game. Drop Colback and play Sissoko, Anita and Wijnaldum as the three.

Would like to see it.  But we won't ever get it, because Colback won't get benched. 

I was thinking something kind of similar to Keegan's 4-3-3 that he played with Martins, Viduka and Owen up top.  Owen (de Jong) actually went a bit deeper, Martins (Perez) was the runner and Viduka (Mitrovic) was the target man.  I think we had a midfield 3 of Barton, Geremi and Butt.  So whilst that was more solid.  The 3 you propose certainly has more legs and ability on the ball.

I reckon there's no way McClaren will drop him (SdJ). He's had a massive influence on the team in general in the two matches he's started, and has certainly improved our shape between the lines with his link play. If Cisse will continue to start for us as the "senior striker" then I'd feel a lot better about de Jong being the one to play behind him.

I'm not sure how you judge this 'massive influence,' but in both the games he started, we scored when he went off. He's been decent at best, but no way should be in the team in place of Perez or Mitro. He's still slow, laboured and completely useless as a creative #10. That shot that Cisse block is the only creativity we've seen from him. Maybe he will link up better with Mitro and Perez, and Cisse has been the issue, which is why I'd be okay with continuing to have him get a run in the team and get more used to the league, but then he would have to play alongside Perez and Mitro.

I think his presence has helped Cisse and Anita tbh. Wijnaldum has also been slightly more involved in the general play than usual. This has led to us functioning better as a unit. His vision to play some of the simpler passes to help the team move up the pitch has been the main asset he's brought to the team. Ayoze tends to turn with the ball and drive forward but it doesn't allow the other to join in the build-up. That's no criticism of Ayoze, as they are different players with different strengths and styles.

De Jong has a captain's calmness about him that has made us look more like a team while he's been on the pitch.

Christmas tree proposed with Mitro up top and Perez/DeJong behind would be what I'd be looking at for the Villa game. Drop Colback and play Sissoko, Anita and Wijnaldum as the three.

I just don't understand why this couldn't work. I can only assume it's because McClaren is scared that if Sissoko bombs forward then Gini and Anita would be too lightweight to defend if we lost possession. Really cowardly approach if you ask me.

I just don't understand why this couldn't work. I can only assume it's because McClaren is scared that if Sissoko bombs forward then Gini and Anita would be too lightweight to defend if we lost possession. Really cowardly approach if you ask me.

Being kind he's been very cautious since he arrived, it'd be nice to see him use two wins and a game vs some strugglers to go for it a bit more and build some confidence but we'll probably come out scared of our own shadows with the same team or something.

He's another one with a reputation based on pretty much f*** all. More Perez please.

That's what you get when you have a cretin as a manager who continues to get the most basic management decisions totally wrong.

Pis poor miss like but missed his link up play when he went off

You must be watching a different game to me as he lost the ball or misplaced his pass nearly every time he got it.