Siem de Jong (still alive)

Guest ManDoon

For as long as I can remember as a Newcastle fan there seems to have been a random foreign player who ends up becoming a bit cult-ish who I have this irrational hope they'll come good.

One of the first I recall from my youth was of course Jon Dhal Tomasson who was quickly followed by Andreas Andersson. Then Silvio Maric came in to fill this gap. Eventually we had Hugo Viana. Then Albert Luque. There's probably been a few more who I just didn't care about as much (Gavilan, Bassedas, Cabella, Thuavin) but those above seemed to fit that mould.

Now seemingly Siem has fallen into this spot of someone I was really excited about where it just hasn't quite happened. Unfortunately looking at the names I've listed none of them really did enough for the club, albeit Viana had the odd flash here and there. Would be surprised if he comes good and realistically would be surprised if we're in a position where De Jong's going to be starting more than a handful of games next year, even if we don't make the sort of signings we were expecting after promotion.

I don't think Luque ever fell into that bracket.

JDT did come good and ended up having a very successful career winning all the big stuff. You already know this. Siem is no JDT

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my post, but my point was the fact none of these players came good for us.

For as long as I can remember as a Newcastle fan there seems to have been a random foreign player who ends up becoming a bit cult-ish who I have this irrational hope they'll come good.

One of the first I recall from my youth was of course Jon Dhal Tomasson who was quickly followed by Andreas Andersson. Then Silvio Maric came in to fill this gap. Eventually we had Hugo Viana. Then Albert Luque. There's probably been a few more who I just didn't care about as much (Gavilan, Bassedas, Cabella, Thuavin) but those above seemed to fit that mould.

Now seemingly Siem has fallen into this spot of someone I was really excited about where it just hasn't quite happened. Unfortunately looking at the names I've listed none of them really did enough for the club, albeit Viana had the odd flash here and there. Would be surprised if he comes good and realistically would be surprised if we're in a position where De Jong's going to be starting more than a handful of games next year, even if we don't make the sort of signings we were expecting after promotion.

No, definitely not. Luque was a brilliant player prior to arriving in England. It should have been a very good signing and people were right to be excited and supportive. That injury just ruined him, though,

No, definitely not. Luque was a brilliant player prior to arriving in England. It should have been a very good signing and people were right to be excited and supportive. That injury just ruined him, though,

Don't think any of them were awful players but none of them reached the heights that were expected of them when they signed for various different reasons. For that reason Luque is as relevant to that list as any of them.

Every time they were on the team sheet I remember thinking 'this is the day they prove themselves' but it never quite happened. Even if Luque did once win me £100 with his goal against Palermo.

Classy turn and pass, like - miracle how it managed to squeeze through all those defenders. Lovely finish from Gayle as well, has to be said. He'll be fine next season, when he gets space (which happens less in the PL, granted), he's very dangerous.

Love this guy's game man. Would be such a great player to support Gayle. So much intelligent use of the ball, and is a goal threat too and especially good in the air.

Please God, keep this man fit for us this season.