Siem de Jong (still alive)

Guest ManDoon

I doubt he'll ever have the physical attributes required to be 'class' for us, but who knows? We may yet have a fairly decent option/back-up for the number 10 position. I have faith that Rafa can improve just about anyone. Not Riviere.

De Jong was never all that but stood out in pre-season in a contained Pardew era that was as dull as dish water.  The same with Aarons, any kid that took on a player would always look good in a side with no creativity.

It really is a shame, he's the type of player that could be perfect for this league if he could get a run of games and toughen up a bit.

I don't think anyone has ever doubted his footballing ability

Rafa didnt see him as useful for the championship, so I doubt he will use him this year. The same goes for Saivet and Riviere. They will be sold.

The only chance De Jong has, is if Rafa is impressed by his determination to get back into the squad.

Rafa didnt see him as useful for the championship, so I doubt he will use him this year.

That was just because of his recent injuries though no?

:thup: I've always been in the camp that a match-fit Siem de Jong could be very useful for us, hoping he'll do good for us as that fulcrum behind a lone striker that links everything up, every time I saw him play he showed good technique, control and quick feet.

His injury record has been absolutely horrendous. I don't think a season in the Championship, recently back from all his injuries, would have helped him at all. Playing at a more sedate pace abroad might have helped his recovery and building of match fitness. If it was that Rafa rated him, I think he took a calculated risk that he could be useful if/when we were promoted and wanted to have the opportunity to see him fit for this pre-season.

Lots of wishful thinking, but he looked good enough before we signed him and match fitness aside (missing easy chances), has imo looked classy.