Siem de Jong (still alive)

Guest ManDoon

where would cabella or grenier play? would cabella play on the wing and/or grenier play central?

getting de jong means only 1 of these is still a possibility I'd imagine, and it'd be more likely to be cabella

though it'd make our midfield complex in terms of who to play where, granted I'd always take more players than less

gouff/hba  anita/tiote  colback/de jong  cabella/sissoko

I am delighted that we have managed to sign a player, but the reports I have read seem to indicate that he isn't particularly technically gifted or a 'creator' of chances in the Cabaye mould.  Can someone who watches him regularly confirm what he is like?  Is there a player more widely known who he could be likened to?

Almost feel we needed a player like Cabella more?

Being technically limited might be a plus in a Pardew side, he's an attacking midfielder who looks for goals, and as long as he hasn't got two left feet he should be able to fit into most systems. We do need midfielders who get into the box, it's just a case of how the team is set up in general whether we get to see him being effective.

These 5/6 year deals are stupid.

End

Surely the though behind them is they put us in a stronger position in 3 years if he performs well and we want to sell for a big fee? He'd still have 3 years left on his deal rather than 1.

Interviewed on NUFC TV, this is what Siem De Jong had to say;

“The last three years we talked to Newcastle, that was important (Newcastle’s longstanding interest), it was also good for me that the manager is still here.

“I spoke to him (Alan Pardew) once and Luuk also told me all about him, plus he spoke to our manager a couple of times.

“I have a feeling he is an honest trainer and I hope we have a good couple of years.

“Luuk has said that Newcastle is a great club, a great atmosphere in a great stadium.

“He said it is a big club in the world and he hopes that one day he comes back, maybe with me, so we will see.”

Three years?! My goodness ... well it looks like the monitoring over long periods at least flatters the players some.

Honest trainer huh ... well, let's see if you still feel that way when Colback keeps getting in the team ahead of Vurn!

I am delighted that we have managed to sign a player, but the reports I have read seem to indicate that he isn't particularly technically gifted or a 'creator' of chances in the Cabaye mould.  Can someone who watches him regularly confirm what he is like?  Is there a player more widely known who he could be likened to?

My Ajax supporting mate reckons he's a bit like a Dutch Kevin Nolan. Quite static at times.

I'm pleased with the signing, but I hope he's not seen as the player to 'replace' Cabaye in the middle.

He is 25 now, so will be 28 and at his peak in 3 years time, which will be ideal for us to make good money on him if he does perform well for us. Depressing situation when your own club make you think like this. :undecided:

End

Why?

It's a risk in terms of injuries mainly.

You want your better players on longer deals, but with new signings it doesn't always work out. I'd have said 4 would have been fine for a £6m signing, but Ashley has a phobia of letting players go on the cheap or free, and he knows if the player plays well, when it comes to contract renewal time they'll demand a payrise.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Actually, surprised he hasn't said anything about Anita yet ...

Siem de Jong: "Alan Pardew made me feel wanted. He's been trying to get me for the past year. Krul and Anita had a part to play, too!"

Siem de Jong: "Alan Pardew made me feel wanted. He's been trying to get me for the past year. Krul and Anita had a part to play, too!"

Ah, cool. Really worried about Anita's place in the team next season, because of that Colback thing. Colback has played out wide too right? I would rather he replaced Gouffran than Anita in the team if anything. We'll need Anita linking up with Siem from midfield.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Ah, cool. Really worried about Anita's place in the team next season, because of that Colback thing. Colback has played out wide too right? I would rather he replaced Gouffran than Anita in the team if anything. We'll need Anita linking up with Siem from midfield.

I wasn't worried about Anita till about 30 seconds ago. Now I'm worried. :lol:

For what it's worth I can't see Colback being much more than a utility player or a back up. I don't think he was as much of a target as he was free.

My Ajax supporting mate reckons he's a bit like a Dutch Kevin Nolan. Quite static at times.

I'm pleased with the signing, but I hope he's not seen as the player to 'replace' Cabaye in the middle.

The comparison to Nolan is interesting. He does look more of a goal scorer form that "number 10" position, and not sure I've seen too much of him threading killer balls through, although he'll likely use the ball well in there, just not sure how creative he'll be passing it forward. However, I'm pretty confident he will bring much more movement and presence outside the box than Nolan, though he certainly isn't super athletic, but then again neither was Cabaye.

I wasn't worried about Anita till about 30 seconds ago. Now I'm worried. :lol:

For what it's worth I can't see Colback being much more than a utility player or a back up. I don't think he was as much of a target as he was free.

You can't see it, I can't see it, anyone with any semblance of intelligence or morality can't see it, but then there is Alan Pardew.

End

Why?

It's a risk in terms of injuries mainly.

You want your better players on longer deals, but with new signings it doesn't always work out. I'd have said 4 would have been fine for a £6m signing, but Ashley has a phobia of letting players go on the cheap or free, and he knows if the player plays well, when it comes to contract renewal time they'll demand a payrise.

Yeah, it's a risk but how often does a player fail to get a new contract because of injury? Extremely rarely. As you say it's just a device to ensure that anyone buying these players has to pay full whack.

End

I agree but from Ashley's perspective it sort of makes sense. If the signing's a success ala Ba, Cabaye then the club stands to make a healthier profit if the player's tied to a longer contract. If, as seems to be the norm these days, the signings under-perform or outright bomb then at least Ashley can hope that another club will take a punt on the basis of the player's reputation, in which case the lengthy contract will surely push the fee up a bit more.

Guest TruToon94

He may be good, may be shite. Sadly with Pardew in charge more than likely he'll be played out of position, trained wrong and appear shit rather than grow as a player. The likes of Ben Arfa, Marveux, Cisse,, Sissoko and Santon have all proved that Pardew ruins great players with his mismanagement.

End

I agree but from Ashley's perspective it sort of makes sense. If the signing's a success ala Ba, Cabaye then the club stands to make a healthier profit if the player's tied to a longer contract. If, as seems to be the norm these days, the signings under-perform or outright bomb then at least Ashley can hope that another club will take a punt on the basis of the player's reputation, in which case the lengthy contract will surely push the fee up a bit more.

Aye, should still be able to get decent money if he flops in a few years anyway.

Unless he's Sylvain Marveaux.

Guest bimpy474

When they stated 6 year deals are for long term stability, it's bollocks. It's for maximising resale value, arseholes.