Siem de Jong (still alive)

Guest ManDoon

eh? :lol:

I think that's generally just what people say.

Nope.

I have a feeling he is an honest trainer and I hope we have a good couple of years.

Sounds very much like the club's been sold to him as a shop window.

The fact that he's only excited about the next 'couple of years' rather than the full duration of his contract says quite a lot imo.

That excitement will go within first month though tbh

I am delighted that we have managed to sign a player, but the reports I have read seem to indicate that he isn't particularly technically gifted or a 'creator' of chances in the Cabaye mould.  Can someone who watches him regularly confirm what he is like?  Is there a player more widely known who he could be likened to?

Almost feel we needed a player like Cabella more?

My Ajax supporting mate reckons he's a bit like a Dutch Kevin Nolan. Quite static at times.

I'm pleased with the signing, but I hope he's not seen as the player to 'replace' Cabaye in the middle.

Well Cabaye was mostly playing as a holding midfielder anyway, we have Colback, Tiote and Anita who can do those roles. He'll be playing off a big striker is my guess, which should suit Pards. Who that striker will be remains to be seen. Probably his brother for around £3m.

Don't know if its already been mentioned, but Pardew said this to nufcTV, on being asked if he was happy at transfer progress to date:

"I'm really pleased we have managed to get a striker early. And particularly a striker of Siem's type; because you know, we need to bed him in a little bit about how we are going to play and find out the best route for him and for us.

So I guess he does view him as a striker and maybe not as a midfielder?

Well this came out of nowhere. The de Jong family close friends with the Ashleys or something?

Good player whenever I've seen him, and finally we get a true attacking midfielder. Can't wait to see him at DM.

I'm chuffed with this signing tbh. Looks good when i'v seen him play for Ajax, just hope that idiot Pardew doesn't wreck his career here. Potentially a big big player for us.

Halfway line then.

Not as daft as it sounds. He'll tuck in when we don't have possession then he'll be the only player to join the attack ( 1 striker) when we've got it.

I've been thinking who he's comparable to. Poor man's Mueller maybe, more dynamic version of Nolan, but I think the closest I can think of is actually Clint Dempsey in his Fulham days. Not great technically or a creative force, but a player with great determination, useful technique, good movement and finishing. If he has put his injuries behind him we've got ourselves a nice little player at a good age here.

I've been thinking who he's comparable to. Poor man's Mueller maybe, more dynamic version of Nolan, but I think the closest I can think of is actually Clint Dempsey in his Fulham days. Not great technically or a creative force, but a player with great determination, useful technique, good movement and finishing. If he has put his injuries behind him we've got ourselves a nice little player at a good age here.

such investment

what profit

wow

So his best position is a withdrawn role behind a main striker. Is he any good in the middle of the park i.e. central midfield?

What I meant by that is that he's experienced enough to be of use straight away yet his best years should be in front of him.

:thup: Sorry, I was just being a dick. It's really hard to get pumped up about anybody joining under the current regime, but I'll be hoping he does well or at least doesn't get Pardewed all over his face.

So his best position is a withdrawn role behind a main striker. Is he any good in the middle of the park i.e. central midfield?

I don't know, since that's not where he played for Ajax.

He is a forward tbh. Those who are saying Cabaye replacement can't have seen him play much. De Jong plays about 30 yards further forward.

So Grenier is still a possibility then. If he is a forward then I'd be happy with Cabella, Grenier and another forward. That is without letting any others go.

He is a forward tbh. Those who are saying Cabaye replacement can't have seen him play much. De Jong plays about 30 yards further forward.

So Grenier is still a possibility then. If he is a forward then I'd be happy with Cabella, Grenier and another forward. That is without letting any others go.

I'd be ecstatic with that.

How would you compare him with Gouffran? There's another player who doesn't quite seem to be an out and out striker and ends up playing on the wing.

How would you compare him with Gouffran? There's another player who doesn't quite seem to be an out and out striker and ends up playing on the wing.

Well, it's hard to compare since they play in slightly different positions. I see Goufran more as a centre forward who can play out wide, whereas De Jong is more of an attacking midfield player who can play centre forward. De Jong is also more consistent I think, with slightly better pace and technique.