Official: Daryl Janmaat joins Watford for £7m

bowlingcrofty

For all people say Janmaat is good going forwards, his starting position is far too high which means he's often just playing as a pseudo right winger. Plus inevitably he's caught out a lot going back the other way.

Janmaat is "decent" getting forward until he he has to put a cross in. Like many mediocre wide players hes completely unable to whip a cross in, instead only half heartedly floats a low cross in that gets easily cleared. This makes his OK build up play and forward movement completely pointless as all it leads to is him getting into crossing positions, which he then consistently wastes. Even Anita has been putting in better balls into the box.

He had a short spell of good form attacking wise where he was getting forward, cutting inside and shooting hard and low, which he was fairly decent at (for a fullback) and resulted in him being an unexpected attacking threat (even if it didnt lead to goals), but we havent seen him do that for at least a year and a bit. Defensively he has been shocking, visibly not bothering to mark his man at times.

Im happy to see the back of him.

Watford will go down this season imo.  Hope they do now.

The biggest problem is that the success of last season was largely based on the fantastic performances of Ighalo and Deeney, and I don't think either player is as good as they showed in the previous campaign. Ighalo especially seems to have continued his decline in form, badly missing good chances in the first two matches.

It could be a good spot for Janmaat, however. I think he will benefit from playing with forwards who actually attack the ball and occupy centrebacks.

Poor defender with suspect personality, but pretty good going forward (well, a year ago), so flatters to deceive. He could be useful in certain systems that provide ample cover. Shift the priority to defending though and he's easily replaceable.

I would have thought his Dutch international reputation would have got him somewhere higher profile than Watford.

I think a lot of people are looking at this with a tainted view because it looks like he's rejecting us. For his first year, he was arguably our player of the season, looked very useful (more so as an attacking full-back, admittedly) and appeared to be spirited, committed and up for it. His performances have declined as the realisation set in for him that he was playing for a club with no ambition and that he was largely surrounded by dross/people not trying/shit management. That does not excuse the fact that he allowed the malaise to set in, but let's not pretend that he's a worse player than he is. I would definitely prefer to have Janmaat at RB this season over Anita or Yedlin. Gamez may well be better, I have not seen anywhere near enough of him. I suspect that playing for a team that actually tries to win games/competitions might show him off in a better light.

Positionally awful and flattered to deceive going forward.  But I always quite liked the mad bastard. 

Not really massively arsed about him going.  But then again, there's only about 3-4 players left that I'd actually be bothered about losing.  We've hardly had the most likeable squad in recent years. 

More profit for Ashley and even less money spent this window.  Yay. 

Craig HopeVerified account

‏@CraigHope_DM

It'll be one out & one in with Daryl Janmaat on his way & DeAndre Yedlin set for NUFC medical. That, for me, is a fairly big downgrade

Spot on here.

Guest chopey

Janmat hasn't looked happy for a year now so it was probably best to get rid although, I do agree it's a downgrade , still feel we need a Hollywood signing

Nah, not having that downgrade BS. Yes Yedlin isn't that good of a defender but Janmaat is hardly one either. He's been shit at defending and don't think he'll easily handle the Championship either.

Only thing I'm unhappy with this transfer is the fee. That is a very small amount of money for an international defender compared with the silly money being thrown around for other lesser known players right now.

He had some good attacking moments when combining with Sissoko down our right, but it was the raping by Montero that led to the desperate "red card" he got himself against Swansea roughly a year ago that made me realise he was a pretty poor defender. Many other examples since then too but that was the one that changed my mind on him.

Only thing that's worrying with him departing is it leaves another gap to plug with a signing. We need a lot coming in during the next week.

I think people have to remember that, as a rule, when you get relegated and players leave, you don't tend to get better ones in to replace them. You just have to hope the players you do get are good enough to get you promoted again.

Has he ever been our man of the match?

Can't think of a single game when he played so well he stood out more than any other player.

At the very start here he did, then downhill ever since. Like most of our signings for the past however many years.