John Alder & Liam Sweeney - Memorial Garden unveiled at SJP reception

bowlingcrofty

Guest GeordieAce

I knew Liam personally. We were in the same class at school for 5 years. In times like these its easy to say things that are exaggerated or emotionally fuelled, but honestly you could not wish to meet a nicer lad. Genuinely not a bad bone in his body. Just a quiet, sincere lad. I keep thinking back to the times I saw him around the class and I can't believe back then I was looking at a lad studying hard to make something out of himself, only to be shot out of the sky by terrorists on his way to watch the team he loves play.  Just an atrocious act. RIP Liam and the other passengers, thoughts go out to your families.

I knew Liam personally. We were in the same class at school for 5 years. In times like these its easy to say things that are exaggerated or emotionally fuelled, but honestly you could not wish to meet a nicer lad. Genuinely not a bad bone in his body. Just a quiet, sincere lad. I keep thinking back to the times I saw him around the class and I can't believe back then I was looking at a lad studying hard to make something out of himself, only to be shot out of the sky by terrorists on his way to watch the team he loves play.  Just an atrocious act. RIP Liam and the other passengers, thoughts go out to your families.

I feel genuinely sorry for anybody who knew any of the passengers on that plane, especially the lads going to the match.  I can't comprehend what would drive somebody to travel to the other side of the planet to watch us in a friendly.

£2.5k overnight :clap:

It's awful that it is only the most tragic of circumstances which brings out the best in people, but I couldn't be prouder to be from the North East right now.

I hope the two sets of families are aware of what's happening.  Knowing how much the pair of them were respected by nufc travelling fans and now, after the tragedy,  the whole of the North East will offer some comfort I'm sure.

Guest Geordiesned

If anyone would like to donate towards a flag and funeral costs in honour of John and Liam you can do so here...

http://www.gofundme.com/bs0qeg?pc=tw_f_app #gofundme

I've posted this on Twitter this morning and the amount donated is now over £1000. I think given the amount raised, after a floral tribute and tribute flag are paid for the rest should be given to the families to help pay funeral costs & donate to charities of their choice.

:( The world can be a really grim place at times.

Guest thenorthumbrian

I can just repeat what others have said, a huge WELL DONE and THANKYOU to the Sunderland supporters.

I've been thinking I recognised Liam, someone just said he worked in Killingworth Morrisons so if true that'll be where I know his face from. :(

Great to see so many fantastic tributes. Those poems had me welling up.

If anyone would like to donate towards a flag and funeral costs in honour of John and Liam you can do so here...

http://www.gofundme.com/bs0qeg?pc=tw_f_app #gofundme

I've posted this on Twitter this morning and the amount donated is now over £1000. I think given the amount raised, after a floral tribute and tribute flag are paid for the rest should be given to the families to help pay funeral costs & donate to charities of their choice.

Donated to this, still gutted to lose fans like this.

Guest Geordiesned

Michael Martin has now put details of the fund and the link up on the True Faith website.

:clap: