John Alder & Liam Sweeney - Memorial Garden unveiled at SJP reception

bowlingcrofty

Sounds a bit cold saying it out loud but are the families OK in terms of covering the costs of the funeral etc? Because surely ensuring that is taken care of is a use for some of the money. Personal thing though, I know.

Sounds a bit cold saying it out loud but are the families OK in terms of covering the costs of the funeral etc? Because surely ensuring that is taken care of is a use for some of the money. Personal thing though, I know.

Similarly does anyone know if John has any immediate family, not seen any mention of any?

Guest Geordiesned

I'm pretty sure from mates who knew John that he doesn't have any immediate family. Probably the reason The Scum focused on him with their disgusting front page yesterday as they knew there wasn't any family to object.

Usual plane crash protocols in place.

Pretty much as soon as next of kin is identified they are given £5k just to tidy over immediate financial worries. The airline will pay full costs towards any repatriation of bodies and funerals. Further payments will be received before the final big payout.

So no need to worry on the financial side, it is more the things that money can't buy that are important.

I'm pretty sure from mates who knew John that he doesn't have any immediate family. Probably the reason The Scum focused on him with their disgusting front page yesterday as they knew there wasn't any family to object.

His family have released a statement through Durham Police it was posted in the chronicle.

Guest Geordiesned

His family have released a statement through Durham Police it was posted in the chronicle.

Cheers. Will have a look.

Malaysian Airlines (or their insurer) will pay the family an interim $5000 for immediate on going costs which I might think would be funeral costs.

Can't see how any of the money raised (brilliant effort all round) will be needed by either family to cover any funeral costs. I'd think that they will be in line for some serious compensation when the dust settles. They will likely have both took out travel insurance also which should cover events such as this.

Sorry to be so matter of fact. Such a massive shame what has happened for everyone involved.

I know football is based largely on long running hatreds and decades old grievances, but the sport is much better for it when we realise that there is far more we have in common as supporters than divides us.

This fundraising demonstrates that perfectly, well done to all involved.

had on what's this?

"It's important we represent ourselves in the right manner, especially after losing John and Liam - our supporters who were travelling out here," he told the press on Monday morning.

"We have to conduct ourselves well on and off the pitch and get some strong results. That is what they would have wanted and that is what we want.

"So in memory of those guys in particular, we want this to be a successful tour.

"We have to honour these guys in the right manner because it does mean a lot to us. Their tragic loss has hurt the group.

"On Tuesday I will be playing a very strong side. That is only right and fair in light of what's happened."

Pardew continued: "None of us would be sitting here without the fans.

"Owners and managers come and go, as do players, but the fans are always there.

"And these two guys in particular, to go to the lengths that they did to get out here, has brought home just how important supporters are to us.

"Sometimes when you lose lives in that manner it puts into context what we do.

"This season we want to give their families something to remember them by, by having a successful season."

Local rivals Sunderland have helped raise more than £20,000 to date in memory of the duo, and Pardew spoke of his admiration for the Black Cats and their fantastic support at this time.

"A lot is made of the rivalry between the two cities, and of course that is there," he said.

"But I would like to thank all the Sunderland fans who have paid tribute and helped raise a staggering amount already.

"I am very proud of Sunderland Football Club for the way they have conducted themselves and I want to thank them."

:thup:

had on what's this?

Sun had a picture with John Alder, which also said that looting of dead bodies was taking place. :(