Newcastle United vs Manchester City - Sunday 17th August at 4pm (live on Sky)

Heron

I know it's a bit early for a match thread, but I thought discussion could be had about the whole support doing something for the lads who have all sadly lost their lives over the summer.

Admittedly, I don't know what happened with Jon, but to pass away at such an early age I assume it must have been relatively extreme circumstances. As for John Alder and Liam Sweeney, we all know what happened there and are deeply saddened by all of those who lost their lives on MH17.

Without trying to sound too blasé about the above, I think now it may be the time to collectively do something positive in terms of supporting the team - in their memory. We've all seen the fund-raising attempts, floral tributes and flags here and there - I think we need to collectively agree to push an idea for the Manchester City game too though.

One idea someone on here mentioned was to get everyone to wear a suit jacket and possibly shirt for the first game, as per John Alder's usual attire. Which I think is a cracking idea. I think it would be good to maybe get everyone to take scarves too and wave them on the 17th minute. I think it would be great if we could ask for the club to maybe do a card display or something too - it wouldn't cost them a great deal and would be good PR for them.

For me I think it is important that we as fans show what this means to the club. Sir Bobby laid it down in writing what football is all about and these lads were fine examples of that. This club is the noise, it is the passion, it is the feeling of belonging, and we should show the pride in our city. For those who have been clambering up the steps for years and for the next generation who come out of that access and fall in love.

So, top and bottom of it - anyone got any other ideas that we can push through social media and / or the club?

Ideas so far:

- Suit jacket and shirt

- Scarves

- Card display

- ?

"Dear Sir / Madam,

I am writing to you in relation to the recent events which resulted in the deaths of two of our loyalist fans, John Alder and Liam Sweeney.

Sir Bobby Robson once wrote; "What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it.

It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city. It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love."

This is exactly what it meant to those two lads and also Jon "Cajun" Lockwood (recently passed away at the age of 31) who was a popular poster on social networks. Furthermore, this is exactly what it means to every single person who steps foot in St James' Park every fortnight or so.

Therefore, I am writing to you in a plea to "pay the fans back" if you like and arrange a card display maybe for the first game of the season against Manchester City. If Black and White stripes could be done with MH 17 or something similar - maybe Alder / Sweeney then I think it would act as good PR from the club and also win people over globally. Our support is renowned across the world and the football world was shook by the deaths of John and Liam, to the extent that our footballing rivals Sunderland have laid down their colours and differences.

I would like to think something is already being done but if not hopefully this provides a good push as I am of the opinion, as are many others, that something "big" needs to be arranged by the fans and club alike, whether it be in the next fortnight or in the next few games is debatable.

I would appreciate it if you could come back to me as soon as possible, so that we can, as fans, discuss and maybe plan what we can do to show our support also.

Thanks in advance,

Chris"

I am in contact with The Flagman in Morpeth and he has advised me that if I get the size and design to him by Thursday he can complete it for the Manchester City game.

I need to decide on the size - I was thinking something that fills up a significant part of the Gallowgate / East Stand so it looks huge and we can roll it out at big games.

Anyone got any ideas how big it would need to be? 20m x 20m? Larger?

Two or three nil I think. Having seen how easily Malaga carved our defense open and at will it won't take much from City to do the same. I know it was a pre-season game but it's not like that was the first game any of them had played for a while, they'd been back in training for a few weeks, played a few games and I can't see it massively improving in the space of two weeks. Williamson and Janmaat aren't gonna make much difference. We might sneak a goal if City lose concentration toward the end.

Didn't we play Man United on opening day and got a point, under Keegan? First time for years I didn't go to Old Trafford and we got a bastard point!

Anyway that won't happen this time. Two down after twenty minutes, season over.

Didn't we play Man United on opening day and got a point, under Keegan? First time for years I didn't go to Old Trafford and we got a b****** point!

Aye. We got relegated that season as well.

Sounds like a plan.

Manuel Pellegrini has confirmed he will be without the seven members of his squad who were given extended breaks following the World Cup when they play Arsenal in Sunday's Community Shield at Wembley.

Vincent Kompany, Pablo Zabaleta, Fernandinho, Sergio Aguero, Martin Demichelis, Frank Lampard and Bacary Sagna only returned to training this week.

We've had a full pre season and half their team won't have played at all in over 6 weeks. We was'll be more tired though.

Manuel Pellegrini has confirmed he will be without the seven members of his squad who were given extended breaks following the World Cup when they play Arsenal in Sunday's Community Shield at Wembley.

Vincent Kompany, Pablo Zabaleta, Fernandinho, Sergio Aguero, Martin Demichelis, Frank Lampard and Bacary Sagna only returned to training this week.

We've had a full pre season and half their team won't have played at all in over 6 weeks. We was'll be more tired though.

Still get battered